Gandalf

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
So who would play Gandalf? I have to admit, PJ & Co did a pretty good casting job. But we can do a good job too.
I have a couple of suggestions. First, Jeremy Irons.
index.php
index.php
index.php

He is a really good actor, with charisma and a great voice. He can also be a warm and kind old man as well as a bit dangerous or grumpy one. I think he would be really good. Well, maybe there's something that makes me hesitate just slightly. Can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just seeing sir Ian in that role so much.

So who would play Gandalf? I have to admit, PJ & Co did a pretty good casting job. But we can do a good job too.
I have a couple of suggestions. First, Jeremy Irons.
index.php
index.php
index.php

He is a really good actor, with charisma and a great voice. He can also be a warm and kind old man as well as a bit dangerous or grumpy one. I think he would be really good. Well, maybe there's something that makes me hesitate just slightly. Can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just seeing sir Ian in that role so much.
Irons' performance as Brom in Eragon really sold this one for me, particularly the grumpy old man part.
94ff1f70740fa933cca23d5f24d04668--saphira-eragon.jpg

jeremy-irons-as-brom-in-eragon-2006.jpg

Peter Capaldi can be quirky and irascible, an ancient soul, wise, compassionate, a force to be reckoned with...I've seen all these things in his role as the twelfth Doctor on Doctor Who and can definitely see him bringing those on board in new ways as Gandalf.

I've been a fan of Jeremy Irons for most of my life (one of my childhood memories is poking my dad's arm while watching the Lion King and repeating that I liked Scar's voice) and think he is an excellent actor. I agree with Haakon's assessment of what he could bring to the table as Gandalf.

In short, both of these are fantastic choices for Gandalf. I'm torn.

Last edited:
Capaldi! He would play gandalf with the twinkle in the eye i'd like to see from gandalf.

Besides i would like irons as gwindor..

I'm kind of falling in love with Capaldi as Gandalf. (But I think Irons would be a great Saruman...the voice, the eyes, the eyebrows...the air of aristocracy.)

My thoughts as well. I was discussing this with a friend just last night and we both agreed Capaldi seems more "Gandalfish", while Irons' talents would find greater expression in the role of Saruman.

Back