Gandalf's quoting Denethor

Croaker

I'm way behind in the series, having been derailed last year. I'm just to the episode discussing why Gandalf quotes Denethor as he does in the Council of Elrond. Why that quote? Why include it at all? The topic came up a few times over a couple episodes.

Most of the discussion revolved around if Gandalf was needling Boromir or trying to provoke a response.

I don't think Gandalf had Boromir in mind at all. He was responding to Frodo's question about wanting to know what happened to him and what's his name's question about more proofs the Ring was the One. Gandalf is providing the proofs, while shaping how Frodo thinks about the upcoming quest. Gandalf knows where the discussion's going (probably knew since the summer) and has been attempting to shape the debate all along to get the humblest of them all to lay down his life.

In short, Gandalf wants to dissuade Frodo from ever taking the Ring to Minas Tirith. He is sowing doubt carefully, mindful of others in the room. Gandalf knows that someday, Frodo will have to decide... go right, or left? West of the river, or East. Perhaps his heart is warning him that Frodo alone will make that choice, and that he will not be there to guide the hobbit.

Back