Geographical Parallels

while the history and geography of Middle-earth is undeniably fictitious, I believe it is meant to be our world, and that it has bits of truth mixed in - that certain places and events correspond to something real, or mythological, even though others are entirely fictitious, or inspired by fiction.

if anyone has found a potential link between actual or mythical places or place names, and those in Middle-earth or Valinor, post it here, and maybe we can gradually come to a clearer picture of what these stories draw upon, or what they're meant to represent. I say this, bearing in mind that even when clear parallels are established, this might not tell us very much, as it's often difficult or impossible to guess the true significance of myths, or other remnants of the distant past. but that there is a link is important.

there have been numerous attempts to overlay maps of Middle-earth onto maps of Europe, but I don't believe that approach will reveal very much - actually I think it would probably lead to false identifications.

"In the changes of the world the shapes of lands and of seas have been broken and remade; rivers have not kept their courses, neither have mountains remained steadfast..."

when Tolkien was drawing his maps, the theory of plate tectonics was just beginning to come into its own. maybe if he'd waited a little later, he might have drawn them differently, or maybe not; clearly he was trying to make his world unrecognizable, and yet it still has very noticeable similarities. in any case, we can't look to scientific theories of continental drift to find out where things would have ended up - but that's not to say that recognizable features aren't depicted somewhat removed from their familiar position. then again, Tolkien would have been well within his license to simply create fictional territories out of whole cloth.

but there's also a similarity to consider between maps of Middle-earth, and medieval maps of Europe, Asia and Africa, in which lands and seas were only vaguely defined. it may be that these maps are likewise not meant to be perfectly accurate, although it's clear that they can't depict the world as it is today. but that a version of Europe, North Africa and the Near East is represented here seems obvious.

probably the best way to identify places in Middle-earth is through their names, their descriptions, their histories and their neighbors. it may be that many of them are completely fictitious after all: but I suspect that there are places that exist in reality, or only in myth, which captured Tolkien's imagination as having played important roles in the ages of myth, which could be scattered throughout Middle-earth in ways that disguise their identities... or in ways that beg to be recognized.

sadly, I can barely even start us off with this, but as I find things, I'll post them here, and I hope others will do the same, even if they're just theories or guesses - but the more solid the link, the better. I'll try to build on this, if I can.

so not to sound as condescending as possible, but Middle-earth is naturally a reference to Midgard, or not even a reference, but its literal meaning. Midgard is meant to be the middlemost of nine worlds in Yggdrasil, but it's unclear whether that meaning has any place here... instead, Middle-earth seems to mean 'situated between East and West', or something completely different, east and west perhaps being symbolic of Beginning and End. would be interested if anyone knows anything more about that.

I also believe that Arda, and probably also the word 'earth' itself is related to the Vedic word 'arta' (Avestan asha) which refers to truth, and order, although there are many words in many languages that this could be easily derived from, to thinly conceal that Arda is Earth.

Ea, meanwhile, seems to have more of a connection to a specific deity, which I'll get into elsewhere.

more interesting is the connection between Mirkwood and the Hercynian Forest (not Hyrcanian Forest), now the Black Forest, in southern Germany, in the name Myrkvidhr.

I also think that the sea of Rhun could be meant to represent the Black Sea, which has to do with both being as far east as anyone from the west was known to venture. in ancient times, the kingdom of Colchis was on the eastern shore of the Black Sea, and was considered by the Greeks to be in the furthest east - the kings of Colchis were even considered to be descendents of Helios, as though Colchis itself was the place where the sun rose. apparently the Greeks preferred sailing over walking.

I've only begun looking at this, but it makes me wonder which if any of the rivers of Europe could be identified in Middle-earth - because it seems that the Rhine and the Danube in particular should be among them (maybe even the Nile). prominent mountains may also be something to watch out for.

I always thought Mordor resembled the Arabian peninsula... but apparently Tolkien identified Mount Doom as Stromboli?? which would put Mordor at at the bottom of the Tyrrhenian Sea? the orientation looks upside-down to me.

Last edited:
I would like to try to place real locations on a map of Middle-earth, or place Middle-earth locations on a real one, but the more I look at this, the more frustrating it gets.

it's like the whole thing is designed to tease.

I would like to try to place real locations on a map of Middle-earth, or place Middle-earth locations on a real one, but the more I look at this, the more frustrating it gets.

it's like the whole thing is designed to tease.
You might not be far off on the teasing bit. I don't think places are one to one between the real world and Middle Earth, but many places in Middle Earth places are clearly inspired by real places.

I've worked with middle- earth maps for more than twenty years now... Any real connection wirh maps of prehistorical europe and the westlands or say the shaping of middle- earth maps and plate tectonics just doesn' t work. It's tempting to try it but it will never be a satisfying solution whatever gets out of it. Arda is in a way not out world in a fictionous past, it's our alternative fictional mythological world. Like an alternate sphere that contains a fictional mythical world that never happened to really come into being.

But the real world inspirations are still fun... The shire is rural england, palisor is the steppes of inner asia, rhun eadtern europe and the black sea, gondor föorence and umbar north arfrica ... You can look for a öot of fun real world inspirations that could work.

I agree with this, both about prehistoric geography and about being alternative history. prehistoric maps will not be any good to us, and probably the only way to identify anything that isn't specifically pointed out to us would be through its name, its description, or what it's close to (even remotely), although directions and distances are likely to be useless.

whether Tolkien was inspired by the theory of plate tectonics at all, or by the more general notion that the earth changes dramatically over long periods of time, it seems like what correspondences exist, he pretty much put wherever he felt like.

but I still believe this falls into a category of speculative fiction, having supposedly occurred in the distant past: not actually of course, but that the past is its literal setting, which is supported by his half-pretending to have discovered the story in the Red Book. it's like the story itself exists somewhere between fact and pure fantasy, which ties in to the whole notion of it being a subcreation... no doubt he wanted to make it as plausible as he possibly could, for something that takes place in the timeless mystery of the age of myth.

of course I'm not saying this to explain that, but rather to explain myself, because I have an idea that maybe seems a little strange, if not totally misguided - and it may be, except for a few things I've already noticed. it seems as if there's more to discover still: only I'm not sure what those discoveries will be, having more suspicions than confirmations for the time being.

I will readily agree, at least, that there isn't a full correspondence to geography, any more than there is a full correspondence to myth. for a long time, I assumed there was none at all, and of course I've always rejected the idea of this story being a metaphor for anything modern, or anything strictly historical. whenever I would hear the odd mention of Tolkien having expressed some kind of correspondence, it made little sense to me, and for the most part I ignored it. but now I'm very interested, because I wonder about things like rivers and mountain ranges, or places like Iceland, or Stonehenge, or Glastonbury Tor, or the possibility of the Americas being the sundered foundations of Valinor, as it seems to occupy the very same space (I always assumed a connection, and even though everyone refutes it, personally, I don't think it's so simple to refute). puzzled as I am at the prospect of Mordor now lying at the bottom of the Mediterranean (convinced as I was that it would be in Arabia, or that there might be a connection between Mount Doom and Sinai), I find that interesting also; and I am very curious about where Cuivienen may have been located.

Wikipedia's page on Middle-earth provides several unambiguous quotes on the subject that are kindof a relief to hear... I've been in doubt about some of this lately, but Tolkien fairly sets the record straight:

"I am historically minded. Middle-earth is not an imaginary world. The name is the modern form (appearing in the 13th century) of midden-erd>middel-erd, an ancient name for the oikoumene, the abiding place of Men, the objectively real world, in use specifically opposed to imaginary worlds (as Fairyland) or unseen worlds (as Heaven or Hell). The theatre of my tale is this earth, the one in which we now live, but the historical period is imaginary. The essentials of that abiding place are all there (at any rate for inhabitants of N.W. Europe), so naturally it feels familiar, even if a little glorified by enchantment of distance in time."

"As for the shape of the world of the Third Age, I am afraid that was devised 'dramatically' rather than geologically, or paleontologically."

"...if it were 'history', it would be difficult to fit the lands and events (or 'cultures') into such evidence as we possess, archaeological or geological, concerning the nearer or remoter part of what is now called Europe; though the Shire, for instance, is expressly stated to have been in this region...I hope the evidently long but undefined gap in time between the Fall of Barad-dûr and our Days is sufficient for 'literary credibility', even for readers acquainted with what is known as 'pre-history'. I have, I suppose, constructed an imaginary time, but kept my feet on my own mother-earth for place. I prefer that to the contemporary mode of seeking remote globes in 'space'."

"The action of the story takes place in the North-west of 'Middle-earth', equivalent in latitude to the coastlands of Europe and the north shores of the Mediterranean. ... If Hobbiton and Rivendell are taken (as intended) to be at about the latitude of Oxford, then Minas Tirith, 600 miles south, is at about the latitude of Florence. The Mouths of Anduin and the ancient city of Pelargir are at about the latitude of ancient Troy."

I was beginning to consider a connection with Fairyland, but if this is meant to be earth, I assume certain things, the oldest and most prominent things, will be common to this story and reality, even if they're not exactly where they're supposed to be, or they're depicted in a way that somewhat differs from the thing we're familiar with. for instance, it seems at this point that, whether or not the Misty Mountains have migrated somewhat, broken up into other ranges, or partly disappeared, the Alps could be said to have once been part of them.

Haerangil, I was thinking about using my projector to trace a big map for making notes, but maybe I could get some notes from you, or we could collaborate on something digitally, if you're interested

I'd like to put a list here, or a link to Google docs or something

but I wonder if making maps will get us in trouble...

Last edited:
Cuivienen.., the innea asian lakes are my closest proposal. Lake baikal for example could be an inspiration..

Have you seen the shaping of middle- earth maps ive uploaded? Sadly i'm not very fond of the shape... Bit the very raw home sketches are all tolkien gave us. Had he taken up working on the entire continend he doubtless would have changed many things to avoid to have middle earth look too much like eurapheasia.. I once reshaped the continental map of merp into more realistic proüortions... As i liked it's coadtlines and general appeal.

I don't know if I have or not... I saw the crescent-shaped map, where I think you mentioned the software you were using

one of the things about Cuivienen that has me so curious is that, from what I've read, it was located by a sea that was subsequently drained... so despite that they say 'there is no returning', it would seem this place isn't actually submerged... instead, if it hasn't been buried or destroyed, it may be simply inaccessible, perhaps high up in the mountains?

the most confusing thing about Cuivienen for me is its being located somewhere far to the west of Hildorien (if I have that right?), being that I am strongly tempted to identify Hildorien with Adana, Turkey, for reasons you can probably guess; but also for having been described as a valley encircled by mountains, even though you would expect geography to change...

"Now the places about Koivie-neni the Waters of Awakening are rugged and full of mighty rocks, and the stream that feeds that water falls therein down a deep cleft... a pale and slender thread, but the issue of the dark lake was beneath the earth into many endless caverns falling ever more deeply into the bosom of the world."

this description reminds me of Hierapolis Bambyce, described in De Dea Syria, but this is very close to Adana, and to the east, which would seem to throw that whole theory... and I have no other yet. maybe it isn't meant to be identified after all, but I remain curious.

supposedly the Valar placed a guard over Cuivienen, preventing any return, like the angel with the flaming sword in Genesis... likewise, when we're told that Morgoth went to Hildorien and put a shadow in the heart of Men, I wonder if this is a reference to the fall

what do you think of the possibility that the Great Gulf has once again made its way inland, in the Mediterranean? or that the Sea of Rhun has grown again, and that if you combined the waters of the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea, you might have something the size of the Sea of Helcar? I've been tempted to associate the Sea of Ringil with the Red Sea, it being described separating the South Lands from the Great Lands - but also because of a reference in the Testament of Solomon to a great pillar that had rested at the bottom of the Red Sea, that Solomon had a demon bring back to Jerusalem. he instructed the demon to hold this pillar until the end of the world, and when it falls, the world will end. I also like the idea of the Pillars having been made of ice, which would explain why they formed seas...

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Round_World_version_of_the_Silmarillion

I find this interesting, that the Lamps are referred to here as a myth of Numenor, and never actually having existed; it is significant to me that it would be from Numenor, with Numenor's possible connection to necromancy (the conjuring of spirits), which Solomon is said to have practiced.

on the other hand, the image of Arda being once covered in glowing mists is fascinating, and I think to see the Valar gathering these mists into the Lamps would be quite a sight.

while I'm speculating all over the place, there is one more thing that has my interest, which is the odd similarity of Thangorodrim in the Iron Mountains, where Maedhros was chained, but which was supposedly destroyed, and Elbrus in the Caucasus, where Prometheus was chained. it really seems like an intentional parallel, whether or not the Caucasus themselves were ever considered (it's hard to imagine that they were not). interestingly though, where Thangorodrim has three volcanic peaks, Elbrus only has two - perhaps it was only partially destroyed? otherwise it's a strange origin story that winds up contradicting an existing myth, and an existing place... that is, how would the story of the torment of Maedhros come to be associated with an entirely different range? or is it a different range after all? thoughts?

Last edited:
No, i believe cuivienen actually dried out. The entire region of the sea of helcar of which cuivienen is a small bay, turns into vast steppe grasslands as the ages pass. So cuivienen just isn't there anymore at one point.

As for hildorien... I identify it more or less with mesopotamia ( because if some quote by tolkien in one of his letters).

Rationalised cuivienen should not ne east of cuivienen but rather southwest... Which could be in accordance with tolkiens shaping of middle- earth sketches...

Murmenalda in hildorien is a valley in the mountains of wind, which are more or less quite in the center of muddle- earth, north of the sea of ringil.

index.php

sadly the map doesn't cover all of Arda but just Middle-Earth...
it#s more or less an adaption of Tolkiens shaping of middle-earth sketches, put on a realistic scale and with later maps and textual evidence taken into account..
the last stage is however an adaption of Pete Fenlon's Middle-Earth map for MERP... with an altered scale.

flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/45380944@N05/sets/72157637731763794

Finding an actual geographic parallel between any part of Middle-earth and our own world is full of frustration, for sure. I have been trying to frame a "geographic analogy" for a long time now, because I am interested in what flora and fauna were to be found in various places and times of Middle-earth. I feel that while the geography certainly does not match, the feel of the climate and wildlife would have fit with "corresponding" locations in the primary world. One thing I have noticed is that, if the Third Age ended about 6000 years ago, then the First Age was more-or-less as long ago as the Ice Age was long ago in the primary world. When I look at descriptions of the climate of Beleriand and the lands north of it, it's very odd.

The Fell Winter was extremely severe... it had 5 whole months of ice and snow! Living in Minnesota, I was most unimpressed when I read that. We get that nearly every year, or used to until recently. But it is a very severe winter for the current (oceanic west) climate of Europe, and I imagine the Fell Winter being much colder than any Minnesota winter. So Beleriand's climate does not resemble that of glacial Europe, and neither do the animals and forests mentioned in the stories.

But then Hithlum, Dorthonion, and especially Lothlann and Ard-Galen are a different story. While Beleriand (and Nevrast) are protected from the cold winds of Morgoth by highlands, and open to the warmer oceanic winds, the northlands are the opposite: separated from the sea by Eryd Lomin, but open to the fierce cold winds blowing south from Angband... which sound like the cold winds that blew south from the glaciers during the Ice Age in the primary world. And Ard-Galen and Lothlann are not forest like northern Europe today, nor even modern Arctic tundra -- they are open grasslands, like the mammoth steppe (steppe-tundra) of Ice Age Europe. I picture glaciers on the Iron Mountains, steppe-tundra stretching from Angband south to Dor-Lomin, Eithel Sirion, the north border of Dorthonion, and the Marches of Maedhros, with Beleriand being a lot more mild because... I guess that the frosts of Morgoth were countered by the power of Melian or even of Ulmo. Dorthonion seems to be the only place described as what I would call a modern (post-Ice Age) taiga.

Hildorien is stated in a few places to have been in Mesopotamia, so I accept that. I have thought a lot about Kuivienen, too, and my imagined idea is that Kuivienen was in (a land that can be identified with) West Siberia. I know it is not supported by anything Tolkien wrote, but here is my reasoning: There is a lot of ambiguity about Kuivienen, and Tolkien changed his ideas over time. Originally he seems to have put it at a subtropical latitude, with Hildorien on the equator, but later moved Hildorien to Mesopotamia and said that it was in a place that "neither the Eldar nor the Avari have known." That seems to rule out identifying the Sea of Helkar with the Caspian Sea or the Aral Sea, which are quite close to Mesopotamia. Furthermore, those seas still exist (or at least, the Aral Sea probably still existed during Tolkien's lifetime) and today, as in the Ice Age, there is mostly desert there*. But during the Ice Age there was a fantastically huge freshwater great lake, twice the size of the Caspian, in the West Siberian Plain. So my personal headcannon is that Kuivienen was in (the equivalent of) southwest Siberia, nestled up against mountains that might be compared to the Western Sayan or Altai Mountains. After the Valar destroyed the Iron Mountains and flattened the land north of Helkar, the whole sea started draining away into the Outer Ocean, leaving behind what are now the Ob and Yenisei rivers.

As you can see my "geographic analogy" involves cherry-picking pieces of real science and mangling them to fit into a mythological mold... which is probably extremely silly.

CLARIFYING EDIT:
*Since Arda mostly ignores primary world science, it's easy enough to accept an identification with the Caspian Sea and just say that it was not a desert back then. But for imagining the landscape and wildlife of Kuivienen, "not like the real world desert" would be a conceptual dead end, so Siberia is the much more interesting option.

Last edited:
Back