Glaurung

Ange1e4e5

I know Glaurung won't show up until later, but it would be nice to talk about who would be good in the role, most likely motion capture/voice. I myself would like to see Javier Bardem, best known as Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men and Raoul Silva from Skyfall, as Glaurung.
javier-bardem-pic-ap-675784209.jpg

Bardem as Anton Chigurh
bardem_chigurh.jpg

Bardem as Raoul Silva
5skyfall+silva+javier+bardem+.jpg

I'm afraid I don't really know his work at all (never saw Skyfall, mea cupla). The images provided suggest he can do swarmy quite well; can he do "overwhelming personality" and "suggestive/seductive" like he needs to do to Nienor and Turin, respectively?

I don't know his work either, but I just looked up a clip with him in character as Anton Chigurh. I actually think he does have a certain Glaurung-esque tonal quality based on what I heard. It's kind of sinister/unsettling while at the same time almost...intriguing...for lack of a better word. I could see people being unable to ignore that voice. I know it both fascinated me and creeped me out at the same time...

Last edited:
Bardem is one of the best. I also think that he would be great as Glaurung. Naturally, others may come up as we come closer to the season where he appears, but I really think this is a perfect match.

Well... back to square one.

Though there might be hope. Peter Jackson for one is not adverse to having actors fight themselves; Dori hits Bert in the groin in The Hobbit.

Last edited:
We've said in some discussion somewhere that someone playing one character could do voice acting for a character such as Glaurung. So I guess Bardem could still be an option.

As for Glaurung, isn't only the voice important here? Bardem is a great villain, but his voice alone can probably be matched by others. So what kind of a voice do we want Glaurung to have?

As for Glaurung, isn't only the voice important here? Bardem is a great villain, but his voice alone can probably be matched by others. So what kind of a voice do we want Glaurung to have?

If the strides made in motion capture these past two decades are any indication I would say that we should definitely consider the whole person rather than just the voice.

If the strides made in motion capture these past two decades are any indication I would say that we should definitely consider the whole person rather than just the voice.
I might be mistaken, but wasn't Glaurung not supposed to 'move his lips' when he talked, but talk more like with an inner voice, almost telepathically? And it'd be weird to model the dragon after the actor (we don't want a Will Smith-genie situation here). In that case it'd be just as easy to disconnect the voice from the movement and such of the dragons. There could even be a stuntman or something that did moves if the CGI wasn't enough.

I might be mistaken, but wasn't Glaurung not supposed to 'move his lips' when he talked, but talk more like with an inner voice, almost telepathically? And it'd be weird to model the dragon after the actor (we don't want a Will Smith-genie situation here). In that case it'd be just as easy to disconnect the voice from the movement and such of the dragons. There could even be a stuntman or something that did moves if the CGI wasn't enough.
From what I know of the text, Glaurung moves his lips when he talks.

I think that was something being considered, but even if that turns out to be the case (which I don't think is necessary), he will still have facial expressions.

The voice I had in mind was a smooth, deep, sonorous voice.

This here is a clip of Bardem as Raoul Silva in Skyfall.

The Hosts are looking for a “rich and persuasive, mellifluous, creepily beautiful, not evil sounding” to quote the notes @Rhiannon made. Corey Olson mentions not being satisfied with Christopher Lee’s voice for Glaurung in the audiobook for The Children of Hurin, as he considered him too guttural. I’d like to restate my case for Javier Bardem, who does have a sonorous and melodious voice (see above post on Raoul Silva in Skyfall).

Last edited:
Yes so I’d like you to listen to Jeff Goldblum. Here’s a clip where you can hear his rich, melodic voice. Just close your eyes and imagine he’s a dragon.

Yes so I’d like you to listen to Jeff Goldblum. Here’s a clip where you can hear his rich, melodic voice. Just close your eyes and imagine he’s a dragon.
He could be an option. Certainly different from characters I’ve known Goldblum to play like Seth Brundle (The Fly), Ian Malcolm (Jurassic Park) and David Levinson (ID4).

Back