Glorfindel

Ange1e4e5

Glorfindel is a Lord of Gondolin, who is close kin with Turgon. Distinctive for returning to Middle-Earth after reincarnation and one of the noblest. Glorfindel should definitely be blond (Glorfindel is Sindarin for golden-haired), but other than that, I am at a loss, apart from being 6-foot plus in height.

We haven't yet decided how (or if?) he'll be related to Turgon by blood, or if he's also related to Elenwe. I'm in favor of descent from one of Finwe's daughters. So we might be looking for an actor who looks like one of our other Noldorin characters.

(Hair can be dyed or a wig, but yes he's definitely golden-haired.)

He should be taller than whoever plays Gandalf (Ian McKlellan is my pick) but if we goof that up it won't really be a big deal.

Tolkien said he had "kinship" with Turgon which seems a little vague, at least to me. Certainly blood relation is a good interpretation and I love the suggestion that he's Irime's son. Or grandson, I guess if he was her son he might be of more equal rank with Turgon. But in that case I don't know what we'd say about his father/mother. If he has no siblings I can imagine him attaching himself to a cousin, the way Finrod's brothers were attached to him.

Cellardur, I think it was, suggested his other parent should be related to Elenwe.

Last edited:
I would love to see Glorfindel as son of Findis. What is our idea of him? Is glorfindel still a very young elf? In a way i would like him as a teenager or young adult.

In that case i would like to suggest eugene simon:

Eugene-Simon-eugene-simon-26341881-737-956.jpg

Is the above 6’ a must? Do all of our elves have to be played by 6’+ actors? We’re running out of those guys.

I think the Hosts are aiming for taller actors. Though if we run out, we’ll have to make do. No taller than 6’3”, since that’s how tall Paul Bettany (Thingol) is, and Thingol is supposed to be tallest of all Children of Iluvatar.

I think the Hosts are aiming for taller actors. Though if we run out, we’ll have to make do. No taller than 6’3”, since that’s how tall Paul Bettany (Thingol) is, and Thingol is supposed to be tallest of all Children of Iluvatar.
Yes well I fail to remember right now how tall the actors who play Maedhros and Turgon are, but they’re pretty tall, as tall as Bettany, if not taller, in fact.

True. Armie Hammer is 6’5”, and I believe Pal Sverre Hagen is 6’5 as well (Google lists him as 6’6”).

Yes, so we broke that rule already. But as long as Thingol doesn't meet those particular Noldor and stand close to them, we'll be safe.

I understand the desire to choose tall people and I agree, we want the Elves of the First Age to be tall, but we can't be blind to the fact that many actors and actresses are of average height or shorter. I mean, most of the characters we want to find people for are supposed to be tall, but the proportion of tall actors and actresses is just as large as the proportion of tall people in the world. We can't work around that math. Sorry for derailing this thread.

Well, let's go for a question: Do we want to cast an experienced or inexperienced actor for this role?

Personally i DO trust actors. They're professional actors and will do their job. Somebody may have done dozens of films and i am still not a fan of his/her talents or somebody may have had just a short apearance in some scene and i am absolutely astonished... experience to me is less important than a well thought through type cast.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1968873/
Ed Speleers
Height: 5’10”
Roles: Eragon in Eragon, James Kent in Downton Abbey, Stephen Bonnet in Outlander, Slean in Beowulf: Return to the Shieldislands
ed-speleers-b87167447a0147dddbef87d4436118c544f5c817.jpg

16d55df69a35c247d238db681807fa77.jpg

speleers.jpg

So, to change topics, what do we want Glorfindel to do? His main deeds in the First Age are as a bodyguard for Aredhel when she makes her infamous trip where she encounters Eol; he then participates in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, then fights off a Balrog in the escape from the Fall of Gondolin, where he loses his life. There’s been a suggestion in the Swords thread that he serves as a mentor to Idril if she ever takes up sword fighting, since there’s going to be no other way to keep Maeglin from murdering Earendil and raping her before Tuor arrives and kills Maeglin. Besides, as the shadows grows on Idril, she might want to take it up... just in case.

Well, the Hosts have spoken, and they say simply that Glorfindel should be blond and gorgeous no matter who we cast for the role, in contrast to the more rugged Ecthelion and Rhogrin. Are we on track?

I believe we are on track. I like my earlier suggestions Alex Pettyfer and Cody Fern.

Back