Gondolin

Ange1e4e5

Gondolin will be debuting at the end of this season, and Turgon will make it into a near-perfect replica of Tirion, complete with gold and silver trees. Tirion is obviously going to be a factor in the appearance of Gondolin, but are there any other factors that could be used in the aesthetic of Gondolin?

The thread on Tirion.

Haerangil

I think i would generally go with karen wynn fonstadts map and the Ted nasmith illustration...

But one could easily add more details, for example the surrounding agricultural landscape of tumladen vale, the position of Anghabar mines in the north, the sectet escape tunnel , the mines and quarries beneath the city... one thing i would want is a giant water reservoir somewhere close to the cities outer wall!

Last edited:

Haerangil

What do you mean exactly? The seven gates guarded the orfalch echor, not the city itself.. after passing the gate of steel Tuor would have entered Gondolin via the great main gate i guess, bevause that was where the great road led.The north gate was a smaller secondary gate.. i don't know what purpose it served but i guess it lead to the road leading to the northern mines...

Haerangil

I mean... i thought to continue the ideas we had for Tirion and Alqualonde according to which, while the Noldor are perfectionists and architects and are able to plan a city from scratch...

...WITHIN their city outline the elves live a pretty much individualist lifestyle, every house is pretty much a sole standing villa rustica, with gardens, greens everything.

I took most inspiration from wynn-fonstadts map, tolkiens sketch and the pictures i had posted above... this version of gondolin consists out of few really large roads but many patchwork-villae estates, has a large reservoir of freshwater, but also many green parks, artificial channels and fountains...

The city is not really on one level but has two higher rings, which are however still lower than turgon's central tower -another detail gondolin shares with tirion! There are about 700 buildings, most of which are quite large, but the largest ones are real big complexes so a big population can easily live here without feeling too compressed.

Last edited: