Gorlim

Ange1e4e5

Gorlim the Unhappy is a member of Barahir's band of 13 outlaws who defended Dorthonion and Ladros against Morgoth and his forces after the Dagor Bragollach. He has a wife named Eilinel. One night, Gorlim goes back to the Beorian settlements at Ladros to find his wife again (he'd been making a habit of this), but when he sees her he is captured by Orcs and brought to Sauron. Gorlim agrees to give up the location of the outlaws in exchange for seeing his wife again. However the joke (for lack of a better term) is on him for Eilinel is already dead, so Sauron "fulfills" his end of the deal by cruelly putting Gorlim to death. His wraith however still exists and appears to Beren who had been absent from his father's camp, revealing his treachery and telling him to hasten to the camp, only to be too late.

Professor Olsen has suggested Gorlim be on the younger side, a contemporary of Beren's to contrast Beren's luck with Lúthien with his own tale of woe with Eilinel.

In Silm Film, Gorlim is captured by Thuringwethil, who will also be the shade of Eilinel.

Gorlim should be in his young 20's, and should look like he is from the House of Bëor. He is not directly related to Barahir.

In Silm Film, Gorlim is captured by Thuringwethil, who will also be the shade of Eilinel.

Gorlim should be in his young 20's, and should look like he is from the House of Bëor. He is not directly related to Barahir.
What kind of young 20s are we talking about?

Jeremy Neumark Jones might be a big old (33-34) for what we're looking for, but the looks? This is him in Belgravia a couple years ago where he plays the 20-something Viscount Bellasis, a young man whose death in the Battle of Waterloo sets the story in motion.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Why not Adriano Tardiolo? I honestly haven't seen him act but I like his type. IMDB says he's in a Netflix film called Happy as Lazzaro but I can't find it there now, sadly.
He's 24 years old.
1673530533056.png1673530575265.png1673530657701.png

Why not Adriano Tardiolo? I honestly haven't seen him act but I like his type. IMDB says he's in a Netflix film called Happy as Lazzaro but I can't find it there now, sadly.
He's 24 years old.
"Happy as Lazzaro" to play "the Unhappy"? Interesting.

I know they don't fit the House of Beor model but I really think either Sauriyan Sapkota (The Midnight Club) and Jacob Batalon (MCU Spider-Man films) could be great Gorlim's:
MV5BNTM0ZTI3YTQtZTcwNS00ZDI1LWJkNTktMjViMTRlNDUyNmViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg MV5BMTJmMDA1ODUtYWI0NS00MjA4LWFiZjgtOTk1OGQ3MDQ4Mjg4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA1MTQ2ODk1._V1_.jpg

I am somewhat uncomfortable with deliberately selecting an actor with a darker complexion than the others as the character who will become the traitor responsible for everyone's deaths. Gorlim should not be an outsider, so we should think about how to handle his differences from Barahir/Beren/Baragund/Belegund.

Thats fair, hadn’t seen it in those terms. Depends on who we cast as the seasons main leads. I will say having seen these guys recently they are both great young actors

Last edited:
Alternatively, another idea I'd had was Tony Revolori (also from the MCU Spider-Man films). I think he could really paint Gorlim as a complex character so the audience could be left unsure how we feel about him, whether he understood the weight of his actions. I think that ability to be morally ambiguous is really intriguing for this role. The knowing pain in his eyes when he fails.

tony2.png Tony.png

Back