Hats

Discussion in 'Season 2' started by Haerangil, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Haerangil

Haerangil Well-Known Member

I've thought a bit about the Hat-thing...

I've found these beautiful pics of mesopotamian hats on pinterest:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

do you think it would be too far fetched to go a bit mesopotamian/Iranian with elven hats?

"(...)Above her brow her
    head was covered with a cap of silver lace netted with small gems, glittering
    white; but her soft grey raiment had no ornament save a girdle of leaves
    wrought in silver.(...)"

I also wonder what arwen#s cap would have looked like...

[​IMG]

2. amysrevenge

amysrevenge Well-Known Member

Yeah yeah hats. Those Persian beards though...

lol

3. Haerangil

well it's antique near-east... though i'd like some of those crazy beards for the dwarves or some valar...

4. amysrevenge

Oh yeah maybe my tone didn't' come through correctly (on the internet of all places!) but I'm ALL ABOUT THOSE BEARDS. That Median king at the very top - words fail me....

Marielle likes this.
  5. Nicholas Palazzo

Nicholas Palazzo Well-Known Member

What about the guy in the lower right of the second image.

6. amysrevenge

OK about the hats. There's something I quite like about the flat-top hats, but they seem... Mannish to me, rather than Elvish.

For Elves, I'm thinking smaller, more close to the skull - closer to baseball hat than top hat in profile. There are several like that scattered through the images.

7. MithLuin

MithLuin Well-Known Member

Anke Eissmann portrays Arwen's 'cap of silver lace' like so in her painting of the Hall of Fire:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  8. Haerangil

a bit like the wild 20ies jazz age? no i quite like it.it's not that far from some medieval or antique near eastern models also... btw. i totally love anke eismanns illustrations!

as for hats... i've always thought of elven hats as more conical or slightly pointed models, like those in the middle picture, but i have to admit that i quite like the flat high hats in the first pic!

Richol Richards and Marielle like this.
  9. Marielle

Marielle Well-Known Member

I really like the idea of breaking out of the "medieval-esque" world of sword and sorcery films to create a unique fusion-look for the elves. And I'm not just saying that because the flapper hats are awesome, though.... they are. http://vintagedancer.com/1920s/six-1920s-headband-styles-you-can-wear-today/

Richol Richards likes this.
  10. Haerangil

i'm a bit divided on that topic... we read tolkien's writings and there are fantastic and fairytale elements... but on the other hand a mix of antique and medieval... a bit bayeux tapestry meets arthurian meets celtic meets bronze age meets egypt meets victorian... often seems to me what he had in mind. but i agree about the sword& sorcery aesthetics... i don't like those either.

Marielle likes this.
  11. Marielle

Marielle Well-Known Member

Some sword & sorcery wouldn't bother me.... but it's very easily spotted and tends to date/kitsch-ify the production. I'm not saying Arwen should be dressed like a flapper... but taking and modifying a 1920's headdress (modifying, because for some reason, as fond of it as I am personally, cloth/thread lace doesn't really seem to fit elven costuming. at all) to make it something neat and unique and beautiful would be great.