Hats

Haerangil

I've thought a bit about the Hat-thing...

I've found these beautiful pics of mesopotamian hats on pinterest:
da14d1a6d25b3aa63ce4e70859cf4749.jpg

93f704082377346d7d6b50a757b1e182.jpg

yatsenko1.jpg

yatsenko2.jpg

2f96fe22b46cb7416e820743d7839b8d.jpg

do you think it would be too far fetched to go a bit mesopotamian/Iranian with elven hats?

"(...)Above her brow her
head was covered with a cap of silver lace netted with small gems, glittering
white; but her soft grey raiment had no ornament save a girdle of leaves
wrought in silver.(...)"

I also wonder what arwen#s cap would have looked like...

af96d33b2283b4067f7a26fbbc592b06.jpg

well it's antique near-east... though i'd like some of those crazy beards for the dwarves or some valar...

Oh yeah maybe my tone didn't' come through correctly (on the internet of all places!) but I'm ALL ABOUT THOSE BEARDS. That Median king at the very top - words fail me....

OK about the hats. There's something I quite like about the flat-top hats, but they seem... Mannish to me, rather than Elvish.

For Elves, I'm thinking smaller, more close to the skull - closer to baseball hat than top hat in profile. There are several like that scattered through the images.

Anke Eissmann portrays Arwen's 'cap of silver lace' like so in her painting of the Hall of Fire:
09_AE04.jpg

Last edited:
a bit like the wild 20ies jazz age? no i quite like it.it's not that far from some medieval or antique near eastern models also... btw. i totally love anke eismanns illustrations!

as for hats... i've always thought of elven hats as more conical or slightly pointed models, like those in the middle picture, but i have to admit that i quite like the flat high hats in the first pic!

i'm a bit divided on that topic... we read tolkien's writings and there are fantastic and fairytale elements... but on the other hand a mix of antique and medieval... a bit bayeux tapestry meets arthurian meets celtic meets bronze age meets egypt meets victorian... often seems to me what he had in mind. but i agree about the sword& sorcery aesthetics... i don't like those either.

i'm a bit divided on that topic... we read tolkien's writings and there are fantastic and fairytale elements... but on the other hand a mix of antique and medieval... a bit bayeux tapestry meets arthurian meets celtic meets bronze age meets egypt meets victorian... often seems to me what he had in mind. but i agree about the sword& sorcery aesthetics... i don't like those either.
Some sword & sorcery wouldn't bother me.... but it's very easily spotted and tends to date/kitsch-ify the production. I'm not saying Arwen should be dressed like a flapper... but taking and modifying a 1920's headdress (modifying, because for some reason, as fond of it as I am personally, cloth/thread lace doesn't really seem to fit elven costuming. at all) to make it something neat and unique and beautiful would be great.

Back