maelstrom.jpg

LEGANERD_036265.jpg

Wiruin?

32117FC000000578-0-image-m-64_1457644751274.jpg

1-nasasoperati.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

ice_bridge.jpg

7241728-3x2-700x467.jpg

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA5Mi8zNTgvb3JpZ2luYWwvMjAxNy1pY2VicmlkZ2UtZmluYWwtZmxpZ2h0LmpwZWc=

3611.jpg

Any thoughts about the Helcaraxe?

I think neat Landscapes are one thing, but we do need to give a thought about how the Noldor travel... do they have Herds and Horses? Do they have Sleds and Tents?

I think neat Landscapes are one thing, but we do need to give a thought about how the Noldor travel... do they have Herds and Horses? Do they have Sleds and Tents?
Good thinking! Yes I think they should have horses and dogs. I'm not sure about tents though.

hmmm.. the last picture is the worst landscape. I can't even think how one could travel those... how do you do that?

hmmm.. the last picture is the worst landscape. I can't even think how one could travel those... how do you do that?
With great difficulty, I imagine.

This is going to sound silly, considering this place is literally called "the grinding ice", but I do think there should be breaks in the ice for visual contrast. Perhaps sections where there are walls of ice, but a grey, dead, barren tundra inside? It could still be snowy, like this:
tundra-landscape.jpeg

I just think a mix of super difficult death ice terrain and barren wasteland could work really well in conveying the desperation of the travelers.

Yes... I like the weirdness of the northern lights... That could add a lot to the otherworldly feel of the ice claw.

TECHNICALLY, no sun means no aurora. Because the northern lights are caused by solar wind, which is of course given off by the atmosphere of the sun. So, yeah.

On the other hand, screw that. Auroras are beautiful and otherworldly, and immediately signal that you are very far north (or south) and likely in a cold, icy climate (since they are more visible during the winter, and in the dark, they...fit). Why not let our lighting people have one thing other than fire and starlight to work with? And why not give the elves something to marvel at in what threatens to be some monotonous slogging through scenes?

Also, aurora is *exactly* the type of phenomena that has a story in myth. There's some reason or cause for it in the stories, because something like that happens, and people are going to comment and think about it. Dancing green lights in the sky? Gotta mean something. So I say it fits. It fits with what we want to be a magical-yet-natural story.

So I say we go for it.

Could also be a short clue that in the cosmology not erverything might be as it seems to everybody. Myth transformed woven in.

TECHNICALLY, no sun means no aurora. Because the northern lights are caused by solar wind, which is of course given off by the atmosphere of the sun. So, yeah.

On the other hand, screw that. Auroras are beautiful and otherworldly, and immediately signal that you are very far north (or south) and likely in a cold, icy climate (since they are more visible during the winter, and in the dark, they...fit). Why not let our lighting people have one thing other than fire and starlight to work with? And why not give the elves something to marvel at in what threatens to be some monotonous slogging through scenes?

Also, aurora is *exactly* the type of phenomena that has a story in myth. There's some reason or cause for it in the stories, because something like that happens, and people are going to comment and think about it. Dancing green lights in the sky? Gotta mean something. So I say it fits. It fits with what we want to be a magical-yet-natural story.

So I say we go for it.

We could actually see this at the same time that the sun is being "created" even if it doesn't rise for several more episodes. A hint of what is coming.

In another note, as I've mentioned elsewhere, our "myth" of the creation of the Helcaraxë is consistent with a violent landscape that is still very much in a state of flux.

This is an extreme example (for one, it's in space) , but an interesting one:

Back