History of warfare prior to Kinslaying?

It is possible that the ainur haf invented blades prior to the elves... So melkor knew exactly what he was teaching the noldor.

I'm pretty sure, yes. They armed the Elves at Cuivienen (or on the Great March) for the sake of self-defense. Some of the swords the Noldor used were leftover from the Great March.

Don't quality swords take a bit of skill to make? Could Melkor have convinced them to make swords as demonstration of their craft, such that eventually any smith among the Noldor would produce a blade as proof he had attained a certain level of craftsmanship?

Then they could rationalize it to themselves as, "We're not arming for war; we're honing our craft."
This is the reason Numenoreans kept the craft of swordsmithing: it was the most difficult type of metalcraft they knew, and honed the skills of blacksmiths.

But they didn't put the craft aside for millennia, and then suddenly re-invent it.
Also I'm not sure if the Eldar on the Great March were taught to make their own weapons, or were given them by Aule.

Last edited:
This is the reason Numenoreans kept the craft of swordsmithing: it was the most difficult type of metalcraft they knew, and honed the skills of blacksmiths.

But they didn't put the craft aside for millennia, and then suddenly re-invent it.
Also I'm not sure if the Eldar on the Great March were taught to make their own weapons, or were given them by Aule.

I can tell you that in our S02 story, much was made of the making of the "First Sword" by the elves in Valinor. Swords would have been useless to the elves in the humanoid enemy-free migration across Middle Earth.

Yeah that's what we talked about then as I recall. Spears and axes and knives and bows would have all been useful (and thus plentiful) in those early days. Swords, not so much.

Back