Homework - Comparing two near identical poems. Especially their context.

I do think, however, that the rest of the Council could have done a much better job in integrating Boromir, and perhaps facilitating his better understanding.
And we'll have to consider this question yet again when we get to Lothlorien. Was Boromir as yet uncorrupted? Or did he fool Galadriel? Or did she, perhaps, know and do nothing but warn of unspecific dangers? Is she also at fault?

And we'll have to consider this question yet again when we get to Lothlorien. Was Boromir as yet uncorrupted? Or did he fool Galadriel? Or did she, perhaps, know and do nothing but warn of unspecific dangers? Is she also at fault?

At fault, no. But she does seem to bear a degree of responsibility. Boromir certainly did not 'fool her'. I forget which class it was now, since we are progressing so slowly, but Corey did point out in one of these recent Council of Elrond sessions that it was after Galadriel gave him the "soul stare" that he turned all weird. As I already stated, he's clearly lived a very outward-directed life. He's not used to introspection and not good at it.

Whatever her power is to examine the 'hearts' of others, it also seems to draw the attention of the subject to what she is examining. Boromir suddenly discovers he has the capacity for introspection, apparently because Galadriel has applied her 'magical' power of seeing to him. He was clearly not ready. I would not say he is 'corrupted' yet, but he is definitely corruptable. This new awareness has the unfortunate effect of accelerating the corruption. As they travel down Anduin we see him speaking aloud some of his inner thoughts, which Frodo notices but Aragorn does not. He eventually comes to the wrong decision. Would he have decided he didn't like the conclusion of the Council of Elrond and tried to take the Ring for himself if not for this re-focusing of his attention by Galadriel's 'magic'? Hmmm...

Hi Forodan,

To leap ahead with you, and consider Boromir in Lothlorien. I think it is also interesting that it is in Lothlorien that Boromir reveals that he lost his horse fording the River Greyflood.

Consider that in Rivendell, Boromir revealed that he defended the Bridge across the Anduin. Thus referencing himself as a hero (specifically referencing Horatius). I cannot help but think that Boromir is referencing himself in Lothlorien by revealing that he lost his horse fording the Greyflood.

What is the reference? Well, who do we know who lost their horses trying to ford a river? The same river, in fact, just further up-stream? Yes, it was the Black Riders!

So, will Boromir turn out a hero like Horatius, or a villain like the Black Riders, or just an all-too-human mix of both?

I can't help but think that this is all being pre-figured in Lothlorien. Of course, your comments on Galadriel's interactions with Boromir also indicate this being set up.

Back