Homework: Estel vs. Amdir

In the homework assignment from last week, we were asked to think about the effect of the "All that is gold..." poem. Specifically, why did the publishers allow Tolkien to get away with inserting the poem not once but twice. To try to answer that, I've been thinking about the effect it has both on the characters and on the reader.

Upon the second reading, in the Council of Elrond, the reader has enough knowledge to understand the poem. It's about the hidden value of people and hope that spring may come again after winter, and that description is targeted at a character that we've come to like. It's also delivered by a character that we, the readers, love and trust. Especially for readers of The Hobbit, Bilbo is an ideal character to deliver a message about people being more than they seem.

For me, at least, Bilbo's rendition of this poem in Rivendell is one of the most moving moments in the story. It sails straight past the rational portion of my brain and tickles my emotions. It's one of those moments that sends shivers down my spine. Thus, I'd argue that this is the more valuable of the two occurrences of the poem because of the effect it can have on the reader.

For the characters actually present, however, Bilbo's recitation doesn't have much impact. Everyone looks at Bilbo like the weird old man spouting nonsense and then more or less continues as if he hadn't spoken.

For the characters, the first inclusion is much more important. It comes at a time of great fear and uncertainty. In the midst of that, the hobbits receive a message from someone they know and trust, and that message provides a ray of hope: Gandalf's friend Strider might help them.

The poem has a real, practical effect on the hobbits. Strider happens to know a line from the poem, even having never seen the letter. Suddenly, this random aside in Gandalf's letter becomes a badge of identity. This Strider whom they have met is the genuine article, and they may now have hope that he can get you out of this pickle.

This is the sort of practical hope that Frodo and company needed in the moment, and it got them moving forward. Bilbo's recitation provides no practical benefit in the moment. Instead, it's an abstract expression of Bilbo's faith in his friend (and possibly the source of his peculiar luck?): that Aragorn, son of Arathorn will sit on the throne of Gondor. That the king will return.

The first instance gives amdir. The second expresses estel. I don't know if the parallel with Aragorn's two names is deliberate, or if I'm merely overreaching, but I like this reading.

I share the same affection, empathy and nostalgia for Bilbo in this moment as well as when he says, "I sit beside the fire and think..." poem in the next chapter. I do not think you are overreaching.

The one thing I would hesitate about is the assumption that everyone treats and looks at Bilbo as a grumpy old man (a description that can equally be applied to Gandalf). in a little bit, we will see Borodin taken aback by how much respect everyone in the Council has of Bilbo when he volunteers to take up the burden of the Ring. While I suspect there were a few smiles when he recited his poem, I suspect they were fond smiles rather than exasperated ones.

If we see him semi-comically here, plopping down into his chair with a harumph, I suspect it is more due to hobbitry than anything. An Elvish telling would, I think, sound A much grander tone.

In Bree, the poem is a parallel to Frodo's comment that a spy of Mordor would seem fair, but feel foul. The poem, and Strider's quoting of it, validate Frodo's intuition, and help us ignore Sam's doubts. When I learned that Bilbo wrote it, I felt like it was another sign of the connection between Bilbo and Frodo, a reminder of why Bilbo had adopted him so many years ago. It also makes me think of the asterisk relationship between Bilbo and Aragorn. I did so want to see a 10-year-old Estel bump into Bilbo at Rivendell in The Hobbit movie.

Yeah, just realized that I was writing too fast and thinking too slow when I ended my original post. Obviously, Aragorn's only name is Estel. I meant the two forms of hope.

Back