Homework. From Boromir’s perspective. Benefits and Concerns. Does Boromir think that his divine dream has been explained? Does he buy the plan?

(BTW, who better to sneak into Mordor than a) the dude who snuck into Dol Guldur and b) a freaking INVISIBLE halfling? You barely notice the ones who aren't invisible.)

Yes, Gandalf was planning to go all the way with Frodo, or at least tending that way, I think. I'm not sure that's what Boromir imagines.

I agree that Boromir feels that he has his answer and has bought the plan in Rivendell.

His later actions have a different explanation that fits.

I think that it is the loss of Gandalf (guide and master sneak-artist), followed by being lead into Lothlorien by the new leader of the Fellowship (who has admitted doubts about their hopes of success without Gandalf), and a somewhat dangerous trip down the river to a final decision point as to who is to go where, that has influenced Boromir rather than any active or passive effect of the Ring or failure to buy into the plan at Rivendell.

I think at this point his faith in the plan has departed and his desperation has resurfaced. This is what we see motivating him at Parth Galen and Amon Hen: His last desperate attempts to convince Frodo to make what he sees as the right choice after the failure of the plan agreed to in Rivendell. When he fails to convince Frodo, his despair drives him to the madness of trying to take the Ring from Frodo.

All along his motivation has been informed by his duty and desire to defend Gondor. If the plan to dispose of the Ring has failed, then he is prepared to risk personal corruption or destruction to attempt to save Gondor. We have already seen him demonstrate this kind of thinking at the last bridge across the Anduin.

Anthony, you get the prize for "comment that turns everything on its head."

A completely human reading might be possible. And as I said above, Boromir is not the only member of the Fellowship who wants Frodo to go to Gondor first, on his way to Mordor. Frodo and Sam are the only ones who realize that that would be a distraction and a dangerous delay, and that there is only one choice for them. (Well, Frodo's realization doesn't include Sam, but Sam is too much for him.)

But I think that, though all those things feed into his feelings of desperation (I think that is closer than despair), he does fall back on his original desire that the Ring should be, not just brought to Minas Tirith, but used to fight Sauron. I don't think that desire has ever fully abated, and I do think the Ring itself has something to do with that.

Hi Anthony and Rachel,

I think you have each considered a very possible explanation for Boromir's future actions. At the moment, I am inclined to the opinion that Boromir influences Boromir, rather than the Ring influences Boromir.

I mean, I'm not sure that the Ring influences Boromir directly. Of course it's very existence influences Boromir's options and choices.

However, it is an interesting question, and one that I will pay more attention to and re-visit when we get there.

But I think that, though all those things feed into his feelings of desperation (I think that is closer than despair), he does fall back on his original desire that the Ring should be, not just brought to Minas Tirith, but used to fight Sauron. I don't think that desire has ever fully abated, and I do think the Ring itself has something to do with that.

Given that desperation is a state of despair I’m not sure what distinction you’re trying to make here.
Even Gandalf shows evidence of the idea of the Ring having a power over people who should know better.
In Book 3 Chapter 5 The White Rider:
He rose and gazed out eastward, shading his eyes, as if he saw things far away that none of them could see. Then he shook his head. 'No,' he said in a soft voice, 'it has gone beyond our reach. Of that at least let us be glad. We can no longer be tempted to use the Ring. We must go down to face a peril near despair, yet that deadly peril is removed.'

Given that desperation is a state of despair I’m not sure what distinction you’re trying to make here.

I see despair as a kind of heaviness that has given up on any action making any difference. Desperation, to me, is a kind of panic and more likely to lead to rash action.

I see despair as a kind of heaviness that has given up on any action making any difference. Desperation, to me, is a kind of panic and more likely to lead to rash action.

Ok, given that distinction I can understand your point. I don’t see that distinction used within the text though. In fact the textual evidence that most strongly argues against that distinction is from Book V Chapter 6 The Battle of the Pelennor Fields:
Hard fighting and long labour they had still; for the Southrons were bold men and grim, and fierce in despair; and the Easterlings were strong and war-hardened and asked for no quarter.
emphasis added.
These men have given up hope of winning, but obviously feel that their choice of action is still relevant. Contrast this with Denethor.

I find myself standing with Flammifer: Boromir influences Boromir.

His ‘So be it’ seems indicative of his inability to understand the position of the Wise, rather than any rejection of it.

Back