Hommage NPC names in LOTRO

Cirthrin

As a LOTRO lifer, I've always been very impressed with the effort the game devs have put into naming game elements that are not in the canon per se, such as the street and instance names of the housing areas to name but one example. There are however some hidden jewels in NPC names that are clearly not based on lore but usually pay hommage to Tokien nonetheless.

The best one I've come across is the female town leader of Underharrow near Edoras, called Ellen Fremedon. That's from the opening phrase of Beowulf, of which the authorative modern translation was written by JRRT:

"Hwæt! We Gardena in geardagum, þeodcyninga, þrym gefrunon, hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon".

Which in that text of course is not a name:

"O, praise of the prowess of people-kings of spear-armed Danes, in days long sped, we have heard, and what honor the athelings won".

Definitely my favorite hommage NPC name in the game. What's yours?

I think at one time there once was a ruffian named Long Tom in LOTRO, though i couldn't find him in the Lotro Wiki now when i was trying to look
him up. In some of the history of the Lord of the Rings Books, i believe Sauron defeated, there was a Ruffian in the Shire they called long Tom. Trotter would be my next suggestion.

Last edited:
Back