House of Haleth - Tools and Props

I'm a bit apprehensive about the House of Haleth being stuck in the Bronze Age except for their weapons. Since the Edain are establishing themselves with the help of the Eldar, who's going to want to trade for Bronze Age stuff?

I'm a bit apprehensive about the House of Haleth being stuck in the Bronze Age except for their weapons. Since the Edain are establishing themselves with the help of the Eldar, who's going to want to trade for Bronze Age stuff?

This has been discussed quite a bit. The House of Haleth is not even in the Bronze Age when they arrive. And a group that has no knowledge of metallurgy or the ability to heat steel to a more ductile temperature would certainly value bronze for its repairability.

This has been discussed quite a bit. The House of Haleth is not even in the Bronze Age when they arrive. And a group that has no knowledge of metallurgy or the ability to heat steel to a more ductile temperature would certainly value bronze for its repairability.
I’m talking about after the move to Brethil, particularly after the other two houses of the Edain establish themselves.

I’m talking about after the move to Brethil, particularly after the other two houses of the Edain establish themselves.

Ah. I think that by the time we get to Turin, which can't be much more than a century, trade and the influx of Bëorian refugees will have them caught up.

Nice! What led you to choose phases of the moon as a design motif?
There was one barely visible on the original photo if you look very closely.

Edit:
The Moon together with the Sun (and to a lesser degree also the Stars) are also important for dwarvish culture, but as the Sun is an explicit "manish" celestrial body, and dwarves invented e.g. moon letters and the Moon figures explicitly in their songs (next to Stars and the Sun, but those celestrial bodies already have their "children") etc. it feels fitting to stress the dwarvish affinity towards the Moon more.

The Moon has power over werewolves and - even if less pronouced - over vampires too (note that the phases on the spear do not include the full moon - which is associated with greatest power in those evil beings. They are the other four: waning crescent, waning gibbous,
waxing crescent and waxing gibbous.
1626588525213.png
Phases of the Moon (timeanddate.com))

The Moon also symbolises the cycles of (mortal) womanhood ( - I personally do not think that ellith have cycles, given thet Arven is still able to bear children in her 2700s, it seems it fertility is more an issue of will and mastery of their spirits over their bodies than a power that is bound to seasons and fixed times that comes upon them and leaves them regardless of their will - like it is with mortal women).

So if the spear is of dwarvish origin the Moon seems a fitting symbol, as is the fact that it will be a device used later by a mortal woman against a vampire.

Maybe it was made by a dwarvish lady?

As such the fact that it is there on the original seemed very fitting to me - it "made sense". ;-)

Last edited:
I have cleaned it up and made it solid for printing. I will not get it printed myself as it is potentially sharp and I do have some small children in my household. It can have the typical Sketch up 3D seams (this means it is not perfectly round and smooth, and some smothing out with sand paper might be necesary.)
But you can download it or view it in the Shapeways preview (enlarge and rotate it to view the details). I have uploaded it to Shapeways to make it visible for all - (the price there is only if one would like to order it printed from Shapeways) I have not test-printed it myself. It is - as the original was, around 20 cm.
1626763000139.png

Some details become more visible in the preview when you do change the material to bronzed steel
1626776520796.png
(just do not order it - that's expensive - still one can use the preview to see the details more clearly).

Last edited:
I have cleaned it up and made it solid for printing. I will not get it printed myself as it is potentially sharp and I do have some small children in my household. It can have the typical Sketch up 3D seams (this means it is not perfectly round and smooth, and some smothing out with sand paper might be necesary.)
But you can download it or view it in the Shapeways preview (enlarge and rotate it to view the details). I have uploaded it to Shapeways to make it visible for all - (the price there is only if one would like to order it printed from Shapeways) I have not test-printed it myself. It is - as the original was, around 20 cm.
View attachment 3805

Some details become more visible in the preview when you do change the material to bronzed steel
View attachment 3806
(just do not order it - that's expensive - still one can use the preview to see the details more clearly).

Knowing a friend with a 3D printer.... I may have to actually get one made. Well met indeed!

Back