houses of gondolin heraldry

Haerangil

arms i found...

A bit more imitating Jrrts elf-sigil style...

Google on pinterest and tumblr

Screenshot_2019-03-23-12-34-30.png Screenshot_2019-03-23-12-34-37.png Screenshot_2019-03-23-12-34-49.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-03-23-12-35-17-1.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-23-12-35-17-1.png
    1,018.8 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for finding those!

I don't remember the actual descriptions in the Book of Lost Tales, so I'm only going by aesthetics and the names of the houses. Of those above,

Fountain: my favorite is #4
Golden Flower: I like the flower of #3 best because the center looks like a celandine, while the outer parts resemble the heraldry of the House of Finwe (since we're trying to make Glorfindel part of that house) although I think it would look even better in yellow instead of orange
Harp: I like #2 best
Heavenly Arch: my favorite is #2
Pillar: I like them all
Swallow: I like #2 best since the others don't have a bird in them
Tower of Snow: I like both #2 and #4
Tree: my favorite is #2
Mole: my favorite is #4, I like that it has that tracery in the background so it isn't just like Morgoth's
Hammer of Wrath: I like #2 and #3
Wing: my favorite is #4
Turgon: I don't think that his heraldry in the Lost Tales really makes sense in the context of the later stories and heraldry. Morgoth in The Silmarillion doesn't cut out Fingolfin's heart. So I don't think Turgon's symbol should have a heart on it all. Other than that part, I do like the designs in #1 and #2 because both evoke Fingolfin's symbol. I do think it's plausible for Turgon to either modify his previous Valinorean heraldry or make a new one with the Sun and Moon on them (after all, Finrod got a new heraldry after meeting Beor).

Here's another look at the artist of that fourth set of pics.
https://www.deviantart.com/aglargon/gallery/53078221/Heraldry-in-Tolkien

Last edited:
It was the orcs who desecrated the corpse and cut out the heart and Turbon recaptured It. Don't know if we want to recycle that EPisode though... it is not needed IMHO. Maybe a more stylized symbol 7nstead of a rather naturalistic heart would already do..

It was the orcs who desecrated the corpse and cut out the heart and Turbon recaptured It. Don't know if we want to recycle that EPisode though... it is not needed IMHO. Maybe a more stylized symbol 7nstead of a rather naturalistic heart would already do..
OK, but the Orcs also don't do that in the Silmarillion either. I'd rather keep the story that Thorondor rescued Fingolfin's body before anyone defiled it.

The Turgon heraldry in the first of your links doesn't really have a heart as such. It has a scarlet circle, inside a moon, inside a sun. The only question is, if the red circle isn't a heart what is it instead? Could it be a red [British or European] flower? There's a red flower named royal helleborine; does anyone know of one that symbolizes royalty or wisdom?

In some european symbolism the circle stands for God, so maybe it 's Turgons piety? In heraldry they are known as rings, roundels or annulets... i don't know what they stand for... i suggest they stand for signet ring and so symbolize lordship and vassalry. Though roundels may also symbolize fruits, apples for example... again modt likely a religious biblical symbolism.

I guess we may very well use a circle instead of a heart if we do not wish to recycle the heart epis8de (tjough i would be open to do so... but its not necessary )

Back