How bad is Strider's exhaustion when we meet Glorfindel?

Johannes

I have to start by clarifying that I don't think we "wasted time" on a "bad" subject by the end of last session (#87). I'm all for not putting any restrictions on any discussions during sessions, but we did spend about 15 minutes discussing whether or not Glorfindel was one of the elves who sang Tra-la-la lally in The Hobbit. I'm not saying that this isn't an important subject! It's a very important subject, and Glorfindel waited long enough for his time in the spotlight, but because we spent so much time on it, we had to end the session before we had a chance to talk about some of the other things in the last slide.

There was one part in particular that I think got a bit overlooked, and that was Strider's reaction to the appearance of Glorfindel.

'But Strider was now leaning forward, stooped to the ground, with a hand to his ear, and a look of joy on his face.' "Joy" is a pretty strong word. As Zephen12 pointed out in the Discord chat: "How often do we see Strider with a "look of joy"? Here, and at Cormallen?"

While travelling with Strider, we have learned that he is very capable in almost any situation, and extremely experienced when it comes to journeying in the wild, especially when compared to the Hobbits. Ever since we met Strider in Bree, he has also been the embodiment of caution, therefore I think his relief in seeing Glorfindel shows how worn out he actually is.

'Strider sprang from hiding and dashed down towards the Road, leaping with a cry through the heather'

He throws all caution to the wind, yells aloud and dashes out in to the middle of the Road! What could make Strider react like this?

As we have discussed in earlier sessions, Strider has probably not been sleeping much, possibly not at all, since he joined the Hobbits. He has been leader, guide and lookout; and, he has had the threat of the Ringwraiths looming over him constantly, which we know is no small thing for him (his PTSD-moment in the Pony). I believe Strider is on the point of exhaustion, not so much because of the physical strain, he is capable of great physical feats, but more because of the mental and spiritual strain.

For one, he has the pressure of responsibility laid on him; not just to keep the Hobbits safe, but also to keep the Ring from the enemy. He is fully aware of what's at stake. Also, as we have mentioned before, Strider doubts his own decisions. He is probably feeling guilty over what happened to Frodo on Weathertop. When he is telling Sam not to despair, I get the feeling that he is putting on a brave face. He knows how deadly the wound is, and I don't think he could predict how resilient Frodo would turn out to be. After the disaster on Weathertop, I'm pretty sure Strider never sleeps. He knows how urgent it is to get Frodo the Riverdale, and he knows that the Ringwraiths could attack again any moment.

'They will come again another night, if we cannot escape.'

'We shall be fortunate indeed if we do not find the Last Bridge held against us.'

Imagen being so fully aware how utterly hopeless their situation is, and still keep trudging on.

On top of all this is the constant spiritual attack from the Ringwraiths. So, physically tired, mentally drained and spiritually shaken, I think this is the most messed up we ever see Strider. I don't think anything that happens later gets this bad.
  • Chasing the Uruks who captured Merry and Pippin? Easy! His mind is made up, he has a clear goal and his companions are way more capable.
  • Revealing himself to Sauron in the Palantír? Maybe, but that feels more like one intense spiritual battle, which is over relatively quickly.
  • Riding with the Grey company through the Paths of the Dead, recruiting the Oathbreakers, fighting along the coast and finally battling on the Pelennor fields? It's sound like a lot, but he doesn't seem too put out afterwards. Sure, he stumbles in the Houses of Healing, but that still feels like a mostly physical exhaustion.
Here, near the end of book 1, is the only time where I get the feeling that Strider is in an actual vulnerable state.

So that's my explanation why Strider reacts the way he does when he sees Glorfindel. He is feeling overwhelming relief. Finally, someone to assist him, and share the responsibility.

Then again he reacts similarly when Halbarad finds him in Rohan, so maybe he is just really likes meeting friends on the road.

I guess my question is: Do you think I'm on to something, or am I reading waaaay too much in to this? I noticed that I tend to do that since I started listening to these discussions. But I can't help it, it's too much fun!

If this is too stupid to spend any time talking about (which it might be, I'm pretty tired), maybe we can still return to the last slide and look at some of the other parts of the text, now that we have gotten the worst of our Glorfindel fan-boying out of our systems.

Oh, I think you are entirely correct. Strider certainly didn't need Glorfindel to tell him that they would be facing all Nine Ringwraiths at the Fords, and I'll bet he was praying that someone from Rivendell would be there to help them. I am reminded of Gandalf's comment in Moria, "A Balrog, ... And I am already weary."

And regarding the question of how Glorfindel knew that they were there: I have often wondered about the significance of the beryl Glorfindel left -- as a token -- on the bridge. Strider took it as a sign that they may cross safely, but he also 'took' it with him. I'm fairly certain he knew that it belonged to Glorfindel, and Glorfindel certainly noticed that it was gone when he returned back over the bridge while following their trail. Did it act as a sort of 'homing beacon'? To signal whether the holder is fair or foul? Glorfindel is, after all, a Noldor, who were famous in Valinor for the creation of jewels.

Emeralds were also part of the badge of the house of Finarfin, father of Finrod, who gave his ring -- with emeralds in the eyes of the serpents -- to Barahir, father of Beren. Aragorn has worn it since he learned of his true ancestry. And later in Rivendell we hear of the importance of adding a 'green stone' to the description of Earendil in Bilbo's song.

And as the color of springtime, green often symbolizes hope. No wonder that Strider says that elfstone 'brings hope' to him. Kinda neat that the Elfstone he wears after Lothlorien becomes a symbol of hope to the people of Gondor.

Interesting point about the jewels.

Glorfindel also picked up their trail, I think where they returned to the road. He’d see there was a pony, with a Man and 3 hobbits on foot.

Good stuff, Johannes. I think that fatigue could play a role in Strider's demeanor. I was drawn to your point about his throwing all caution to the wind. Not only is he revealing their position rather bluntly, but he also runs down to Glofindel and ditches the hobbits on the hillside. It would have been rather unfortunate if the Ringwraiths were within leaping distance and pounced on the unsuspecting hobbits as Strider ran off (I know this would never happen. Not the Ringwraiths M.O., and their fear would have preceded them).

It is interesting that Tolkien elected to use the word "joy" instead of relief. Even if Strider were exhausted, that kind of joy is invigorating and it would be no surprise that he "springs" and "dashes" down to meet Glorf.

Back