How to get involved with SilmFilm?

mpwalter

I have been voraciously listening to the Tolkien Professor's podcast since I discovered early last year as the world went into lockdown from the pandemic, and I absolutely love everything about the SilmFilm project! Listening to the discussions has opened my mind to so much in the text that I never even thought, the discussions about the themes for each season, the frame narratives, and the episodes thinking about casting and locations and music. It is amazing!

Now that I've caught up, I'd love to start listening live and starting to participate, but not sure which platform is being used. Can somebody point me to the right place? And any advice about how to dip my toes in the water of participation would be equally appreciated.

I have been voraciously listening to the Tolkien Professor's podcast since I discovered early last year as the world went into lockdown from the pandemic, and I absolutely love everything about the SilmFilm project! Listening to the discussions has opened my mind to so much in the text that I never even thought, the discussions about the themes for each season, the frame narratives, and the episodes thinking about casting and locations and music. It is amazing!

Now that I've caught up, I'd love to start listening live and starting to participate, but not sure which platform is being used. Can somebody point me to the right place? And any advice about how to dip my toes in the water of participation would be equally appreciated.

Firstly, congratulations! Catching up with hundreds of hours of content is no mean feat. Sessions of Prof. Olsen's SilmFilm broadcast take place on Thursday nights at 10 PM Eastern on a (usually) biweekly basis. The most recent session was on 4/8, so the next is planned to be on 4/22. It's broadcast live on the SignumU channel on both Twitch and YouTube, but the GotoWebinar is open as well. You should be able to get a registration link somewhere on here: https://mythgard.org/silmfilm/season-5/.

If you have any further questions, there are plenty of folks here on the forum who can help, either in the threads or by PM, myself included.

Welcome! I am so glad to hear that you've been enjoying SilmFilm. As for getting involved, that is really up to you - what might you be interested in doing?

You mentioned enjoying the casting discussion. Currently, we have a list of characters for Season 5 who will need to be cast. Feel free to poke around the casting forum and make suggestions for actors who can fill the roles. We will be opening nominations for those roles in the near future.

Likewise for sets/locations/props...any suggestions can be posted in the Season 5 subforum.

The podcasts are working their way through the episodes, and have made it to Episode 6. If you have any thoughts on the episodes, you can post in the script forums.

Thank you both! I'll check out the Twitch channel in preparation for 4/22.

You mentioned enjoying the casting discussion. Currently, we have a list of characters for Season 5 who will need to be cast. Feel free to poke around the casting forum and make suggestions for actors who can fill the roles. We will be opening nominations for those roles in the near future.

LOL, I need to clarify what I meant. I enjoy the discussion about the characters and what attributes/features we'd want for each of them in a theoretical casting call. As for proposing actors, that is most decidedly not my forte! I may more to contribute with location/set ideas. That said, I will check out all the forums, because it's amazing to see how much there is!

I suspect that, at least initially, I'll mostly participate by listening to the live discussions and asking question/making suggestions during them, and it may take an episode or two for me to get acclimated. Thanks for the welcome and advice!

Back