How To Pack A Mithril Coat

Rachel Port

At the end of class I was imagining how a person would pack something made of fine chain mail, and I remembered an evening bag I once had that was made of silver chain mail. I used to be able to put my hand underneath and just let it sort of puddle into my hand. So I think that Bilbo must have packed the mithril coat the same way - just letting it sink onto the packing cloth making a kind of puddle. That would make a small bundle that would be heavy for its size since all the links would be piled together without the spaces. I really couldn't imagine folding something made of small chain mail - the links would be slipping and collapsing into each other.

If I recall my 1950s Iron Man correctly, metal armor can be folded into small, portable packages with the aid of miniaturized transistors.

At the end of class I was imagining how a person would pack something made of fine chain mail, and I remembered an evening bag I once had that was made of silver chain mail. I used to be able to put my hand underneath and just let it sort of puddle into my hand. So I think that Bilbo must have packed the mithril coat the same way - just letting it sink onto the packing cloth making a kind of puddle. That would make a small bundle that would be heavy for its size since all the links would be piled together without the spaces. I really couldn't imagine folding something made of small chain mail - the links would be slipping and collapsing into each other.
This is how I have my mail-coat (yes, I have one) packed: in a puddle and with a cloth wrapped around it. That is mostly because it is so heavy, and it is not as if it will wrinkle. But too heavy to bother with anything else. The mithril coat is lighter, and with smaller rings, so it might be easier to fold it than regular mail, but it would not wrinkle either, and it was made to hold up in battle: it is not as if would rip or be damaged easily. For my mail, the cloth is more to keep it from damaging other things, and to hinder too much rust.

Back