Huan, the Hound of Valinor (Voice!)

So, to get the topic back onto voice, do we go down the Manwë route and use an established Valar actor, say Idris Elba, as the voice of Huan?

The Vala Huan is associated with is Oromë, not Mandos. So, if we were going to do the Manwë-as-the-voice-of-Thorondor route again, the actor we should be considering for Huan's voice is Alexander Skarsgård, who we cast as Oromë.

He at least has a deep voice, when he wants to...

The Vala Huan is associated with is Oromë, not Mandos. So, if we were going to do the Manwë-as-the-voice-of-Thorondor route again, the actor we should be considering for Huan's voice is Alexander Skarsgård, who we cast as Oromë.

He at least has a deep voice, when he wants to...

I've had this idea that I wasn't sure anyone would get behind. But, since Oromë is the Vala "over" Huan, and Oromë is voiced by Alexander Skarsgård, why don't we have Huan voiced by Stellan, Alexander's father? This seems counterintuitive, at first thought. The instinct would be to have the father play the elder character, and the son the "underling" (though I know that's not really the relationship.) But I think that Alexander would give Oromë an eternally youthful feel, while having the older actor play Huan would give the impression of being of a slightly lower order than Oromë. Plus, Stellan is an amazing actor with an amazing voice.

I know this is the voice casting but did we finally decide on the Irish wolfhound? If not, I love this dog. I came across it on Twitter. It’s 9D8D79E7-24D7-4B20-AD5F-E167B0551403.jpeg87.5% Gray Wolf, 8.6% Siberian Husky, 3.9% German Shepard

I believe we chose the Irish Wolfhound in Season 2. One of the motivations for choosing it (beyond size) was that it is not the prettiest of dogs.

Also, Alan Lee clearly made a similar choice for his depiction of Huan, and that may have influenced our decision here.

I agree that a dog that is mostly wolf will have some of the size we are looking for! Might be a bit too 'cute' though.

I was afraid visually the Great Hound and the Werewolf would be easily confused...

Therefore i somehow preferred

But this was about the voice wasn't it? Or would we still also somehow digitally give the Dog some reminiscenr hunan features of his speaker, like the Dragon in Dragonheart who looked like Sean Connery? I know when i tried to do sketches of Glaurung or Draugluin or even Thorondor i tried to incorporate such blends between human and animal to it...

Attachments

• Sfhuan-1.png
    Sfhuan-1.png
    405.1 KB · Views: 2
He was nominated for Draugluin (and not chosen), so I propose Andy Serkis, unless people are really trying to save him for later.

He has a gravelly voice and is very versatile, and has done voice acting while also doing performance capture. I don't suggest we go full Benedict Cumberbatch Smaug here, though :)

Problem is that all his gravelly voices pretty much sounds the same or weak, at least in his readings of Tolkien (which is the only audiobooks with him that i have heard).

Problem is that all his gravelly voices pretty much sounds the same or weak, at least in his readings of Tolkien (which is the only audiobooks with him that i have heard).
Serkis can do gravelly, as can be heard while playing Supreme Leader Snoke in the sequel trilogy.

Back