Huan, the Hound of Valinor (Voice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ange1e4e5

Huan is a wolfhound of Valinor, bonded with Celegorm, son of Fëanor. Immortal, tireless, and sleepless, Huan is allowed to speak three times in his life and said to only meet his end by the greatest werewolf that ever lived. Huan accompanied Celegorm to Beleriand and intercepted Lúthien as she set out for Tol-in-Gaurhoth to rescue her love Beren. Celegorm and Curufin schemed to make Lúthien Celegorm's wife, but Huan took pity on Lúthien and helped her escape; reaching Tol-in-Gaurhoth, Huan killed the werewolves with Lúthien's help and eventually overcame Sauron himself in the form of a werewolf, but returned to his master. When Celegorm and Curufin attempted to take Lúthien by force, Huan turned on Celegorm for his honourless actions. Huan then acquired Draugluin and Thurwingwethil's forms and gave them to Beren and Lúthien to use at Angband, counseling the former that Lúthien would share in Beren's fate even if he did not acquire the Silmaril. When Carcharoth fled Angband due to the agony of the Silmaril he ate with Beren's hand, Huan participated in the hunt for him and slew Carcharoth, but was killed along with Beren, speaking the final time as a farewell.

James Faulkner has been in a number of roles and speaks with a gravelly voice, both sonorous and raspy, which makes him a fit for antagonistic roles like the ruthless Lord Tarly who threatens to murder his son for not being a good fighter or the strict and overbearing Lord Sinderby. Being a mostly heroic character like Huan would be interesting territory for him.

James Faulkner
Height: 6'0"
Roles: Jack Stapleton in The Hound of the Baskervilles (1988), Pope Sixtus in DaVinci's Demons, Lord Daniel Sinderby in Downton Abbey, Lord Randyll Tarly in Game of Thrones, Saint Paul in Paul: Apostle of Christ
MV5BN2Y5N2EyOWEtMzQ1NS00MGE1LTg0NjgtZTA5MzE5ZTRkMDBjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDcxNTUwMTY@._V1_.jpg

Iain Glen
Height: 6'1"
Roles: Hamlet in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, Manfred Powell in Lara Croft Tomb Raider, Ser Jorah Mormont in Game of Thrones, Sir Richard Carlisle in Downton Abbey, Bruce Wayne in Titans
Typically speaks with a low, gravelly voice, but less sonorous than, say Charles Dance in Game of Thrones or Jim Carter in Downton Abbey. Also sang in Jack Taylor, timbre is similar to Johnny Cash if we ever need Huan to sing.MV5BMzNlMzdkZjgtNDZmMi00ZWI0LTliMTktNjhiODc2NmY0NjUzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM3MDY3MDk@._V1_FMjpg_UX1...jpg

Last edited:
Hi all! This is my first post, but I've been listening via the podcast since 2019. I believe this is the first round of casting since I've been caught up!

I'd like to nominate a voice actor named Logan Cunningham for Huan. He's a voice actor and in 2018 he was in the video game Hades. He voiced several parts, notably the role of Hades.

His voice is deep and expressive, and he can definitely put some gravel in it. He is the second speaker in this clip, starting around the 9 second mark.

1678070641931.png

Michael Madsen
Height: 6'2"
Roles: Vic Vega/Mr. Blonde in Reservoir Dogs, Budd in Kill Bill, Maugrim in The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Joe Gage in The Hateful Eight
Madsen has made a career out of playing stone-cold killers that also have a caring side; Mr. Blonde is a psychopath who'd cut ears off but also took four years for his bosses because they're his friends, while Budd is a former assassin who knows that he fully deserves whatever comeuppance is coming for him, which manifests itself when he buries someone alive just to see if her will to live is stronger than his. I'd post probably his most famous scene but it probably wouldn't be safe to watch.
l-intro-1667933289.jpg

Last edited:
Brian Blessed. Know for portraying Augustus in I, Claudius and Prince Vultan in Flash Gordan. Has a lot of voice acting experience.

Note: Brian Blessed was cast as the dwarf of Nogrod Gamil-Brôg in Season 3. Since this is a voice only role, the nomination is allowed.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 1
  • th (1).jpg
    th (1).jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
I return to you now at the turn of the tide. In the eleventh hour, quite nearly. To nominate a good friend of the podcast, Alan Sisto, voice actor and host of the Prancing Pony Podcast. Alan has a fantastic voice, which he has on occasion lent to readings of SilmFilm scripts. Most importantly, however, he has previously made available to the world an interpretation of the voice of the Hound of Valinor. The first appearance of the voice of Huan on the Prancing Pony Podcast can be found here: https://theprancingponypodcast.com/category/podcast-episodes/page/29/?sfw=pass1682492702.

It is in Episode 032, around the timestamp 01:02:50.

Not only do I think that Alan would do masterfully as the voice of Huan, I think it might be fun to "cast" someone who might enjoy said casting, and who might even pay us a visit to "read" for the role.

1682493733568.jpeg
Alan and former co-host Shawn Marchese at Mythmoot ... IV, I think that is.
n1054184879_90661_2235_400x400.jpg

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm10035685/

Was Chosen ; Okay by Execs

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back