Huan, the Hound of Valinor (Voice!)

i have thought about Huan for quite some time, he needs a voice very suiting for his role. In the book he only has a couple lines, but in the series we could make it more. My idea was Liam Neeson. Just the right voice of him works really well. Just like when he played Aslan in Narnia.

My personal idea for Huan's voice was Idris Elba, but since he's cast as Mandos it's a moot point.

I don't have a recommendation for Huan's voice actor, but apparently Huan himself hasn't been cast yet? Considering the merit of the different approaches the LotR and Hobbit movies took (I'm looking at you, Azog), I assume we want a real dog that we can apply special effects to instead of a fully CGI dog, so we need a doggie actor for the role (and would have needed one since Season 2). I know there was some talk about him being like an Irish Wolfhound, but that's not casting. That's just saying what you want an actor to roughly look like, and that seems like too little for what will be a major character in the next season.

I’m not sure what you mean. Do you want us to cast an individual dog? Sure, we can do that. We could say for example that we want the Irish Wolfhound from ‘Paddington 2’ to be our Huan. I haven’t seen the movie but I’m sure it would be ok.
1596966366361.png

I’m not sure what you mean. Do you want us to cast an individual dog? Sure, we can do that. We could say for example that we want the Irish Wolfhound from ‘Paddington 2’ to be our Huan. I haven’t seen the movie but I’m sure it would be ok.

Yeah, like we cast individual actors for all other major roles - we don't want to be specieist, do we? :D I like your suggestion, he looks fit for the job! I'll look for other appropriate candidates to make sure he has some competition though :p

Regarding the technicalities, should we have a new thread in the Season 5 part of the Casting subforum (even though he appeared earlier but wasn't cast) or somewhere else? Should there be seperate threads for his voice and his actor?

Yeah, like we cast individual actors for all other major roles - we don't want to be specieist, do we? :D I like your suggestion, he looks fit for the job! I'll look for other appropriate candidates to make sure he has some competition though :p

Regarding the technicalities, should we have a new thread in the Season 5 part of the Casting subforum (even though he appeared earlier but wasn't cast) or somewhere else? Should there be seperate threads for his voice and his actor?
Alright let’s do this. We should have a thread for the dogs nominated. He doesn’t speak this season, does he? If he does, we should have a voice actor thread as well.

Alright let’s do this. We should have a thread for the dogs nominated. He doesn’t speak this season, does he? If he does, we should have a voice actor thread as well.

Okay, so we'll have a thread in the Season 5 section - great! And he only speaks in the next season, yeah :) First to Luthien in Nargothrond, then to Beren and Luthien before they go to Angband and lastly to Beren as they're both dying (at least Beren gets to come back, but Huan is gone for good :c)

@Alcarlótë remember that the dogs should have their own IMDb page.

Alright! I'll keep that in mind.

It doesn’t seem to be a thing for dogs. It could be a problem, if we don’t make an exception.

Last edited:
I think anyone can make an Imdb page if they provide at least one acting reference - and relevant material (photos, acting experience etc.) can always be found elsewhere so we don't have to set up comprehensive Imdb entries all on our own :)

Irish Wolfhounds have an average life expectancy of about 8 years. So, don't look for dogs in any films older than that.

(And, not to burst anyone's bubble, but when a baby or animal appears on screen, there are typically multiples cast so they can be swapped out during filming if one isn't going to be terribly cooperative during a scene. There are exceptions to this - the baby in Labyrinth is Toby Froud, for instance. So, in reality, different dogs would likely be used to play Huan in different episodes; it would be unlikely that we'd have the same dog through 5 seasons of filming.)

Irish Wolfhounds have an average life expectancy of about 8 years. So, don't look for dogs in any films older than that.

(And, not to burst anyone's bubble, but when a baby or animal appears on screen, there are typically multiples cast so they can be swapped out during filming if one isn't going to be terribly cooperative during a scene. There are exceptions to this - the baby in Labyrinth is Toby Froud, for instance. So, in reality, different dogs would likely be used to play Huan in different episodes; it would be unlikely that we'd have the same dog through 5 seasons of filming.)

That's true, I'll guess we have to suspend disbelief here a bit unless we want to cast many different dogs - and make sure they candidates are alive still ^^ But to be honest, it's not like in reality most actors that were cast would accept, and even if we grant that many wouldn't stick around for all the necessary seasons, so recasts both before and during the run of SilmFilm would be very likely. The casting process will always be far from realistic, to gauge what we imagine characters to look like and to have a bit of fun; though I agree with the rule of not casting dead actors, if only for the reason that it feels a bit morbid.

Yes so when I look at the IMDb page for Paddington 2, I can't find the dog actor playing the wolfhound in the movie. They probably used more than one dog. So I'm not sure how to proceed with this; we don't have any IMDb pages for the individual dogs, and we can't be sure we're looking at the same dog (we're probably not).

But I guess we could do things differently with dogs, and go by a different channel: Here is a Casting agency (but this particular dig is a Deerhound).

Yes so when I look at the IMDb page for Paddington 2, I can't find the dog actor playing the wolfhound in the movie. They probably used more than one dog. So I'm not sure how to proceed with this; we don't have any IMDb pages for the individual dogs, and we can't be sure we're looking at the same dog (we're probably not).

If you can find out what (one of the) dog's name is, you should be able to create an IMDb page for them. Other resources for photos, date etc. will still be necessary, but that's just the nature of lesser-known actors ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you can find out what (one of the) dog's name is, you should be able to create an IMDb page for them. Other resources for photos, date etc. will still be necessary, but that's just the nature of lesser-known actors ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I’m not sure one can do that. Is that something people do, create IMDb pages for actors they don’t actually know? I mean I realise we’re talking about animals here but the site is actually used a bit like a cv collection rather than a Wikipedia, so I wonder what the dog owners will think. If it’s at all possible.

I’m not sure one can do that. Is that something people do, create IMDb pages for actors they don’t actually know? I mean I realise we’re talking about animals here but the site is actually used a bit like a cv collection rather than a Wikipedia, so I wonder what the dog owners will think. If it’s at all possible.

Hm, I just followed this guide: https://help.imdb.com/article/contr.../adding-filmography-credits/GAB5B33MBLEG73CT#

It explains how to add credits for someone (you don't actually create their page) and doesn't mention anywhere that it has to be the actor themselves that adds those credits - I also didn't pretend to be associated with the actor when I submitted a credit, but it got approved and added to the site after it was reviewed. Maybe I misunderstood the process and I'd be very sorry if that was the case, but I don't really see a rule against or the harm in giving someone credit for something they worked on and are publicly known to have worked on.

Back