I wouldn't say I missethed it (for general conversation)

Greetings from Istanbul... (Istanbulmoot?)
I'm catching up! It's been three months since I started listening and in that time I have:
a) Become a huge fan of Signum and everything that they do,
b) Joined LOTRO so I can attend in-game when the time is right,
c) Listened to 147 episodes... and I finally feel like I'm close enough to real time to ask a relevant question!

In Isildur's testimony he writes "the Ring misseth maybe the heat of Sauron’s hand". There was then conversation about whether Isildur was (a) personifying the ring's desire, or (b) accurately describing the ring's desire. I wonder if there is a third option: (c) that the word misseth here merely means "lacks".

Consider the below with lacks (lacketh?) in place of misseth.

"What evil it saith I do not know; but I trace here a copy of it, lest it fade beyond recall. The Ring lacks (lacketh), maybe, the heat of Sauron's hand, which was black and yet burned like fire, and so Gil-galad was destroyed; and maybe were the gold made hot again, the writing would be refreshed."

In this reading Isildur is not concerned with the sentience of the ring (which argument he can scarcely have conceived) but instead its physical properties and understandable reaction to its surroundings. Possible? Likely?

Many thanks to Corey and all the others (who I will not name in case I misseth someone by accident) for this entire series, and your attention to this post!

P.S. Please slow down! You keep on moving forwards and I haven't caught up yet.
P.P.S Joking
P.P.P.S Sort of

Nice catch! I think this reading aligns nicely with the fact that the Ring appears to respond to fire/heat.

You're further ahead than I am. I look forward to seeing you among the group when I catch up! Episode 140 today....

Thanks Matt.
We will have to meet at the lodge. Looks like you might overtake me at the rate you’re going!

I was talking to my wife about a flowchart of how the ring reacts.

is your master bigger than the last check then shrink
Is your master smaller than last check then grow
Are you hot then show firey letters
Are you cold then hide firey letters
Etc...

Thanks Matt.
We will have to meet at the lodge. Looks like you might overtake me at the rate you’re going!

I was talking to my wife about a flowchart of how the ring reacts.

is your master bigger than the last check then shrink
Is your master smaller than last check then grow
Are you hot then show firey letters
Are you cold then hide firey letters
Etc...

So, the Ring can't be THAT evil if it doesn't require constant firmware updates and constantly pester its users to register and leave a review.

Me too. The Ring doesn't even get warm in a regular fire, but the heat of Sauron's hand made it blazing hot, and the heat faded only slowly. That tells you something. A "spiritual" heat?

From this, do we have enough data to calculate the specific heat of Ring-gold or the average temperature of Sauron's hand?

Back