Impact of the proposed Amazon Project on the Silm Film Project

What's next for the Silm Film Project?

• Ignore Amazon's project. TV show? What TV show? Continue with Season 4 of SilmFilm as planned.

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Restart Riddles in the Dark to focus on Amazon's project while Silm Film goes on hiatus for a time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SilmFilm leaps ahead to the 3rd Age, covering LotR seasons before returning to Season 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SilmFilm continues with Season 4, but with sporadic breaks for 'reaction episodes' to Amazon's show

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • *keeping my fingers crossed for Corey Olsen's direct involvement in the Amazon Project*

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

amysrevenge

Is it obvious? I'd have said obviously while he was still in charge. But he retired right around that same time...

MithLuin

Whoever is in charge now worked closely with him for years. If even I, who have never met him, knows this.....then how much more would someone who actually knows him?

Phillip Menzies

Staff member
I would like to think that Amazon Prime are taking full advantage of the restrictions with no Silmarillion rights and going back as far as they can to the beginning of the ?Second Age. They can then take as long as they like and they won't be constrained by hitting the known material (movies) for many many years.

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
The latest news about the Amazon Project is, as I guess you have seen, that there is a creative team, and that there's been a casting call for the characters Eldien, Beldor, Aric and Tyra (and Tyra is going to be played by actress Markella Kavenagh). The names sound at least partly human to me, rather than elvish. Does anyone have anything more insightful to say? A story of Men in the Second Age, it seems, but no names we know from Tolkien. The names don't sound Numenorean.

NotACat

What's the likelihood that those are real names for real characters that will actually show up in the show? This far out, are they going to let that kind of cat of the bag?

amysrevenge

What's the likelihood that those are real names for real characters that will actually show up in the show? This far out, are they going to let that kind of cat of the bag?
Sort of what I was thinking. Maybe they are just code names or placeholder names? Like, if it was Aldarion or whatever, that would be a bigger lore giveaway than anything we've seen yet.

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
Yes let's hope they're not real names. My mind is on two tracks on this: on one, they're not real and my hopes are up - on the other, they are the real names, and this is the beginning of a series of disappointments. Of course, things can take a lot of different turns.

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
But apparently Tom Shippey is involved somehow, so I guess the risk of things going totally wrong is not that great.

amysrevenge

I saw an interview with him - he's either got a great poker face or he's not that deeply involved. I wonder if his main role isn't going to be making sure they don't stray from their mandate (the Tolkien Estate has a big veto apparently).

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an article with the Shippey interview, including a link to the interview itself. https://bgr.com/2019/07/31/amazon-the-lord-of-the-rings-season-1-release-date-plot-and-episodes/
(So I guess they will start the series in Middle-earth, somewhere around or after Sauron's return (500 S.A. actually, but probably later, nothing much happens before he starts to build Barad-dûr in 1000 S.A.). It will all end with the death of Sauron, naturally, but it seems they haven't decided on how to split the story in the five seasons they've said they'll do. )

Haerangil

Eldien and Beldor have some adanic sound about them... Tyra and Aric don't sound like Tolklang at all! I still hope these names Re placeholders, like Itaril in the Hobbit movies, though they also pretty much failed with many names they invented for those movies too, the most obvious example being Sebastian the hedgehog...