Impact of the proposed Amazon Project on the Silm Film Project

What's next for the Silm Film Project?

• Ignore Amazon's project. TV show? What TV show? Continue with Season 4 of SilmFilm as planned.

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Restart Riddles in the Dark to focus on Amazon's project while Silm Film goes on hiatus for a time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SilmFilm leaps ahead to the 3rd Age, covering LotR seasons before returning to Season 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SilmFilm continues with Season 4, but with sporadic breaks for 'reaction episodes' to Amazon's show

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • *keeping my fingers crossed for Corey Olsen's direct involvement in the Amazon Project*

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What do you make of the rumours that the person on the Valinor picture is Galadriel’s brother, supposedly Finrod? Speculations are running amok, people are guessing at actors in the cast who could play Finrod… But more importantly, if Finrod is named in the show, that implies at least some detail in the Silmarillion material they will use.

I _think_ it is confirmed and no longer a rumor at this point.

What do you make of the rumours that the person on the Valinor picture is Galadriel’s brother, supposedly Finrod? Speculations are running amok, people are guessing at actors in the cast who could play Finrod… But more importantly, if Finrod is named in the show, that implies at least some detail in the Silmarillion material they will use.

I don’t really go in for rumours. They often amount to nothing or spoil everything lol as far as I’m concerned it really could be anyway. Could be Imladris even. I doubt it though lol I’m just super looking forward to it

Still, the Finrod role could be the size of Gil-galad in the Jackson movies.

Yeah, it's too early to really speculate anything about character or storylines

I think it's more likely, and frankly I hope, it's like 80% entirely new characters and threads

Oh speculations are great fun, i like watching those videos all the time...
Still! A multi-ethnic proto-hobbit tribe wouldn't be anything i had EVER expected.Well i guess they want what sells and they think people want hobbits so they include hobbits.I am not totally against it if it is done right...
But that also means they probably would want to include dragons as well at some point, and maybe balrogs too. I am more sceptical now...
The hobbits supposedly lived either in rhovanion back then or even further east and not even in the westlands yet.They chose the Harfoots because they were earlier in the west and a bit less-white, which i am basically okay with but... still it feels a bit like twisting the material to somebodys personal taste, i hope they have good writers who are able to get the job done a satisfying way. Can't get my head around the harfoots yet... they'd have to integrate them to the Gwathuirim populance in Enedhwaith to make that work at all i believe!

Last edited:
Oh speculations are great fun, i like watching those videos all the time...
Still! A multi-ethnic proto-hobbit tribe wouldn't be anything i had EVER expected.Well i guess they want what sells and they think people want hobbits so they include hobbits.I am not totally against it if it is done right...
But that also means they probably would want to include dragons as well at some point, and maybe balrogs too. I am more sceptical now...
The hobbits supposedly lived either in rhovanion back then or even further east and not even in the westlands yet.They chose the Harfoots because they were earlier in the west and a bit less-white, which i am basically okay with but... still it feels a bit like twisting the material to somebodys personal taste, i hope they have good writers who are able to get the job done a satisfying way. Can't get my head around the harfoots yet... they'd have to integrate them to the Gwathuirim populance in Enedhwaith to make that work at all i believe!

Twisting material to personal tastes is a given though, right? Anyone making this will want to write or act things that interest them personally. Bring those things out, follow those paths, go down the rabbit holes that they want to explore. We may get dragons. Maybe a rogue balrog I guess. I’d be surprised though. Hobbits make sense as I think they are the species most associated with middle earth

True.Hobbits also are the species whose absence throughout most of middle-earth's history the entire lord of the rings is pretty much all about.Hobbits going unnoticed is their main characteristic.We'll see how they gonna explain that...

True.Hobbits also are the species whose absence throughout most of middle-earth's history the entire lord of the rings is pretty much all about.Hobbits going unnoticed is their main characteristic.We'll see how they gonna explain that...

Isn't it just more the case that the historians aren't interested in them. Hobbit and LotR are from Hobbit perspective, the rest isn't

There's certainly more to it than just that! Or so i always thought...
Basically it was JRRT writing about a hobbit and suddenly integrating them into his mythology where they had never before existed, him retconning that and making it part of the story.

There's certainly more to it than just that! Or so i always thought...
Basically it was JRRT writing about a hobbit and suddenly integrating them into his mythology where they had never before existed, him retconning that and making it part of the story.

I suppose it’s whether you want to read it in-world or in a meta sense. Either way, there’s certainly scope for hobbit inclusion and also different hobbits countries than we’ve seen which I’m looking forward to

Regarding the Harfoots I feel they probably won't stretch things Tolkien wrote very much, they live in the lower foothills of the Misty Mts, on the Eastern side, and are on friendly terms with the Dwarves. They are browner of skin than the Stoors and Fallohides (which gives the producers a lot of freedom).

I was not arguing against anything you wrote Haerengil, I was just trying to make my own thoughts clear. I agree, the Moria connection is probably something they'll use.

Look at this:
IMDb cast list

Morfydd Clark, who will play Galadriel, is only to be in two episodes in season one. This will be in the first two episodes, which I understand will be flashbacks and exposition. Several other actors and actresses shall also just be in two episodes. Others will be in 8 episodes. This could mean that most Elves will only be in the first two episodes, and that the first season as a whole will focus mainly on Men, Dwarves and Hobbits.

I'm hoping we do get to see some of Moria. I remember reading something about the orcs 'worshipping' the balrog
I was not arguing against anything you wrote Haerengil, I was just trying to make my own thoughts clear. I agree, the Moria connection is probably something they'll use.

Look at this:
IMDb cast list

Morfydd Clark, who will play Galadriel, is only to be in two episodes in season one. This will be in the first two episodes, which I understand will be flashbacks and exposition. Several other actors and actresses shall also just be in two episodes. Others will be in 8 episodes. This could mean that most Elves will only be in the first two episodes, and that the first season as a whole will focus mainly on Men, Dwarves and Hobbits.

Bear in mind, ep listing in imdb, like ep release dates, are often updated after the fact. 2 eps may be confirmed but doesn’t mean she isn’t in more

Fair enough. But it should be some indication of screen time. It makes sense to focus on mortals initially. And I have also read that we will probably have to wait til next season for Annatar.

Yeah, I'm totally okay with that. I'd be really disappointed in some ways if the first season focuses to much on being a Sauron prequel. I'd sooner original storylines be mined before trying to be 'fan-servicey' as it were. Sherlock intentionally established it's premise with less famous stories before tackling the tentpole tales most associated with Holmes and Watson in season 2. Discovery made sure to set up its world before introducing Pike, Spock and the Enterprise. I'd much sooner a show deliver us its own world before going 'Oh look, here's a thing you already know.' I guess I'm less interested in seeing characters I have a sense of than meeting new ones I may fall in love with. I'd like to see another take on Sauron, especially in his Annatar days, but just...not yet. Gimme a Lenny Henry Harfoot Hobbit first

EDIT: Oh, and I'm pretty game for the forthcoming anime also

So now they’re saying Isildur is a role. He’s supposed to be a young adult this first season. That raises questions about the timeline. Will they compress it (I hope not) or jump/have storylines set in a number of different times (I hope, but it could be confusing)?

So now they’re saying Isildur is a role. He’s supposed to be a young adult this first season. That raises questions about the timeline. Will they compress it (I hope not) or jump/have storylines set in a number of different times (I hope, but it could be confusing)?

This sounds very intriguing. I am wondering if it’ll be a seasonal anthology with different focus on era and character between seasons. I don’t mind comprehension for the sake of clearer story as long as we still get a sense of passing time and the longevity of the world and elves etc

Well most incidents in the Second Age are isolated by hundreds of years; I mean, Elrond's brother Elros passes 410 S.A., the Rings are forged over a period of 100 years themselves, with the One Ring being formed c. 1600 in the Second Age, with the Downfall of Numenor c. 3200 S.A. A couple hundred years after that is when Sauron is defeated by Elendil and Gil-galad and the Ring taken.

Well most incidents in the Second Age are isolated by hundreds of years; I mean, Elrond's brother Elros passes 410 S.A., the Rings are forged over a period of 100 years themselves, with the One Ring being formed c. 1600 in the Second Age, with the Downfall of Numenor c. 3200 S.A. A couple hundred years after that is when Sauron is defeated by Elendil and Gil-galad and the Ring taken.
Yeah multiple timelines would be a way to handle that.

Back