Inspiration for Future Storylines

Rob Harding

Just came across some of Tolkien’s original concepts that never really made it into any official published part of the legendarium which I think we have the opportunity to honour in upcoming seasons

Just came across some of Tolkien’s original concepts that never really made it into any official published part of the legendarium which I think we have the opportunity to honour in upcoming seasons
But it is true that we do see butter and cheese, but no cattle among the hobbits, now that I think of it.

The spinning wheel Luthien gets from Melian needs an explanation. A spinning wheel is a time-saving machine, and elves are neither not into machinery nor into efficiency. And hand drop spindle is a completely sufficient tool in skilled hands from an elven perspective. So the wheel has to be either a dwarven or a human invention given as a present and first used when Luthien is really pressed for time (experincing that "mortal" pressure for the first time in her already long (by human standards) life).

Last edited:
Or elves are not as nitpicky as we think and they don't have any ideological problems with time-saving machines, even if they are loud and noisy.Might be possible, they do other loud and dirty work too, and they can be quite good with tools and mechanisms, they build giant buildings and ships after all.

The Hobbits obviously are farmers, it seems logical they have goats, sheep, cattle and other barn animals, obviously fowl for example.

Or elves are not as nitpicky as we think and they don't have any ideological problems with time-saving machines, even if they are loud and noisy.Might be possible, they do other loud and dirty work too, and they can be quite good with tools and mechanisms, they build giant buildings and ships after all.

The Hobbits obviously are farmers, it seems logical they have goats, sheep, cattle and other barn animals, obviously fowl for example.

But not for milk purposes obviously. Who needs cows and goats when you got that lovely hobbit milk

Some Noldor I could believe, but Sindar?

And are hobbits lactase-persistent actually?

Last edited:
Back