Interesting use of "the".

amysrevenge

I'm looped around in the audiobooks, and have just now passed us here in class again.

I've noticed a thing 3 times now, up to midway through the next chapter.

"the Barad Dur"

"the Bag End"

And just now from Gandalf, "your friend, the Strider".

That's weird.

Well, it's a nickname based on what he does. Kind of like telling your spouse that you are going to lunch with your friend "the skier" as opposed to your other friend "the golfer".

Searching the e-text at ae-lib.org.ua (1954-5 editions):
I don't find a single mention of "the Barad-Dûr", (or any simplified form thereof), and
I find only two examples of "the Bag End", one of which is "the Bag End garden".
The other is in a quote representing the gossip around Hobbiton: 'hiding up in the Bag End'.

Possibly the audiobook reader added the definite article to Barad-Dûr by mistake, and it wasn't picked up in review.

Bag End can be taken for a play on Cul-de-Sac (French, meaning bum of the bag).

Regardless of whether the lane servicing Bag End existed before the construction of the smial by Bungo and Belladonna, the property at the end of a lane is likely to have been described as "At the bag end" which through the time of construction could be shortened to "The bag end" and then finally "Bag End" be accepted as a formal name (with the play on the Baggins name). Use of "the Bag End" in the vernacular of Hobbiton could be vestigial, representing the speech of the locals at the time of construction a mere 112 years earlier.

Regarding "the Strider", it seems to be the only usage in the whole work, but it may also be the same kind of thing, where the folk of Bree originally referred to Aragorn as "the Strider" which then, over half a century or so, gets worn down to simply "Strider". Gandalf, may have fallen back on an older usage.

fb73827d-76bd-4b5e-9901-a69aa7cd226e_1.d5f84c8f27f6b780dd679eab99b71aa2.jpeg

Batman used to use a definite article. Why not Strider?

fb73827d-76bd-4b5e-9901-a69aa7cd226e_1.d5f84c8f27f6b780dd679eab99b71aa2.jpeg

Batman used to use a definite article. Why not Strider?
Another example of familiarity and common use leading to the eventual elimination of the definite article.

Although, use of the indefinite article with batman in a Tolkien related forum brings us back to Sam, not Aragorn ;-)

This definition could explain why Batman can glide so far on his cape.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Tolkien discussion.

Back