Is Sir Balyn a mirror of King Arthur?

MelkorsHubris

Howdy folks, I've been mulling over Le Morte DArthur for the past fifteen or eighteen moons now and something novel came to me.

Is the early inclusion of Sir Balyn intended as a parallel to the later events of King Arthur's life? Where we know later stories are retold in pairs, I've come to notice a rather distinct list of similarities between those two:

Balyn's initial impressions are of low-birth and shabby dress. Arthur's initial impressions are of low birth.

Balyn's virtue is proven by the pulling of the sword from the scabbard. Arthur's right to rule is proven by the pulling of the sword from the stone.

Balyn's told by Merlin that he shall err but is rebuffed. Arthur's told by Merlin that he shall err but is ignored.

Balyn's legitimacy is restored/validated by the capture of King Rhience. Arthur's legitimacy is validated by the defeat of Nero of Rome.

Balyn's doom is sealed when he dealt the Dolorous Stroke. Arthur's doom is sealed when he slept with his sister.

Balyn's demise is by his blood brother. Arthur's demise is by his blood son.

Balyn's grave is foretold to host a future battle of the best knights. Arthur's grave is foretold to empty itself upon England's greatest hour of need.

Last edited:
Back