Jewelry

Rhiannon

Here is a place to discuss jewelry design for this season. The most important piece is probably the Nauglamir, which is given to Finrod in Episode 12, but that is by no means the only piece of jewelry that features in the story. In the scripts, I've introduced some other jewelry, such as the swan brooch that Turgon gives to Cirdan and the necklace Edhellos takes from the messenger she kills. There's also less significant jewelry generally worn by the characters as part of their costumes. I have some ideas for jewelry design, but I'd love to know what everyone else thinks.

General questions:
  • What does the general style of Noldor jewelry look like? Does it differ among houses? What about the style of the Sindar of Doriath? The Falathrim? The Dwarves? The Green-elves? The Orcs? The other creatures of Angband (Sauron, Thuringwethil, Gothmog, etc.)?
  • How will these styles blend when the different groups encounter each other? Will the jewelry of the Noldor begin to take on some qualities of the jewelry of the Sindar and vice versa? Will Elven and Dwarven styles influence each other?
  • Will there be a noticeable difference in quality between the jewelry the Noldor made in Valinor and that which they make in Middle-earth? Are there materials they no longer have access to that become precious once they are in Middle-earth? Are there materials that are abundant in Middle-earth but rare in Valinor?
  • How common is jewelry among the lower classes? Does every soldier and farmer have some jewelry, or is it rare outside of the ruling classes? If they do not have fine jewelry, do Elves prefer to wear lower-quality jewelry or go unadorned?
  • Are there any recurring symbols or patterns that have specific meanings? Will families and other groups tend to wear similar jewelry, or will individuals largely have their own styles?
  • Who wears crowns? What do they look like? How decorative are they vs. being practical helms?
  • In general, how practical is the jewelry? Do Elves wear their jewelry while hunting and doing other daily tasks, or do they save it for special occasions?
  • There are a few weddings this season, so what do the engagement and wedding rings look like? Are they simple bands, or do they have jewels set in them?
  • Is there any system of military decoration among the Elves and Dwarves?
  • How will jewelry styles have developed by the time of the frame story? Will there be echoes of Doriath-style jewelry in what Thranduil and his folk wear? Will there be a distinctive Dwarven style still seen in what the Dwarves of Erebor wear?

Finrod has the Nauglamir and a ring which he gives to Barahir, while there's also the Elfstone.

Turgon wears a crown of garnets.
He wears a "coronet of garnets" in The Book of Lost Tales, but the description of the seventh gate of Gondolin in Unfinished Tales says "in the centre ... was raised a mighty image of the king-helm of Turgon, the Crown of the Hidden Kingdom, set about with diamonds." However, that doesn't mean that Turgon can't have both. Maybe he could switch to a helm with diamonds before setting out for the Nirnaeth.

As far as crowns are concerned, most Elven kings are seen in art wearing a silver circlet as a crown.

As far as crowns are concerned, most Elven kings are seen in art wearing a silver circlet as a crown.
Elves in general tend to be depicted wearing circlets, so those circlets which are crowns should probably be, if not larger, at least more elaborate.

Elves in general tend to be depicted wearing circlets, so those circlets which are crowns should probably be, if not larger, at least more elaborate.
Maybe something like a helmet below their crown. Wearing a crown in a battle doesn't seem like the practical thing. On the other hand, Ted Nasmith shows Fingolfin and Fingon wearing nasal helmets in the battles where they die.

Maybe something like a helmet below their crown. Wearing a crown in a battle doesn't seem like the practical thing. On the other hand, Ted Nasmith shows Fingolfin and Fingon wearing nasal helmets in the battles where they die.
They could have both a crown and a helmet. They don't necessarily need to wear their crowns in battle.

Finrod received what will become the Ring of Barahir from Finarfin in Season 3, so it is from Valinor in our story. Tolkien described it in some detail.

The Noldor should be blinged out with jewels pre-Ban. Post-Ban, only the Feanoreans should still be bedecked with jewels. So, maybe some plain metal crowns (but not just circlets) are in order. Maedhros should wear a copper circlet (and not call himself king). Turgon and Finrod should have crowns. The Falathrim and Sindar should have a lot of pearls.

Finrod received what will become the Ring of Barahir from Finarfin in Season 3, so it is from Valinor in our story. Tolkien described it in some detail.

The Noldor should be blinged out with jewels pre-Ban. Post-Ban, only the Feanoreans should still be bedecked with jewels. So, maybe some plain metal crowns (but not just circlets) are in order. Maedhros should wear a copper circlet (and not call himself king). Turgon and Finrod should have crowns. The Falathrim and Sindar should have a lot of pearls.
For Turgon and Finrod, silver or gold crowns? If Maedhros is not king, what should he call himself? Lord Maedhros?

Maedhros is the Lord of Himring, and he is the lord of the Fëanoreans.

Finrod casts his crown down in the Beren and Lúthien story; I'd have to go back and see if it's ever mentioned if it's silver or gold. Perhaps in the Lay? My inclination is silver, but that's because my inclination is always silver over gold ;).

I am fine with Turgon's initial crown at Nevrast having garnets in it, and then having him switch to a non-bejeweled crown post-Ban. In Gondolin, we can work some diamonds back into the crown eventually, perhaps. Garnets look nice with gold, I think.

Last edited:
For Turgon and Finrod, silver or gold crowns? If Maedhros is not king, what should he call himself? Lord Maedhros?
I've always pictured Turgon's crown as gold, but I'm not sure if I read that somewhere or that's just how I imagine it. I'd have to go back and check.

Maedhros is the Lord of Himring, and he is the lord of the Fëanoreans.

Finrod casts his crown down in the Beren and Lúthien story; I'd have to go back and see if it's ever mentioned if it's silver or gold. Perhaps in the Lay? My inclination is silver, but that's because my inclination is always silver over gold ;).

I am fine with Turgon's initial crown at Nevrast having garnets in it, and then having him switch to a non-bejeweled crown post-Ban. In Gondolin, we can work some diamonds back into the crown eventually, perhaps. Garnets look nice with gold, I think.
Perhaps a gold circlet for Turgon post-Ban?

No, I think kings should have more than circlets. Crowns. But. Not with jewels in this case.

Here's a non-Dagor-Aglareb-related thought: What if Turgon's "king-helm" that appears on the seventh gate of Gondolin is Fingolfin's crown?

Thorondor bears Fingolfin's body to Turgon, not to Fingon, so, if Fingolfin was wearing his crown when he fought Morgoth, Fingon wouldn't get it. Turgon could take the crown from Fingolfin's body, fix it because it's probably a little dented after the fight, but then not put it on because he knows the kingship has passed to Fingon. Only after Fingon has died and Turgon returns from the Nirnaeth does Turgon put on his father's crown.

Here's a non-Dagor-Aglareb-related thought: What if Turgon's "king-helm" that appears on the seventh gate of Gondolin is Fingolfin's crown?

Thorondor bears Fingolfin's body to Turgon, not to Fingon, so, if Fingolfin was wearing his crown when he fought Morgoth, Fingon wouldn't get it. Turgon could take the crown from Fingolfin's body, fix it because it's probably a little dented after the fight, but then not put it on because he knows the kingship has passed to Fingon. Only after Fingon has died and Turgon returns from the Nirnaeth does Turgon put on his father's crown.
What does Fingolfin’s crown look like?

I suppose it didn’t go up in smoke when Feanor died?
Presumably not. I don't think it would burn with him. Moreover, I think any arguments between his sons about succession would be more potent if there were a physical crown present in the scene.

Back