Kick-off: Script Discussion for Season 2!

This past weekend's endevour was truly ill-fated, something went very terribly wrong with my digestive tract and I did not get a ton of sleep the night previous. I see I was not the only one who encountered difficulties. Nick, you are a trooper and I am sorry thinks shook out the way they did.

Anybody wanna try tempting fate again this weekend?
:p

Random brain wave; a fun, easy way to open the season and show that we've rewound to before Estel comes to Rivendell is is to have Elrond placing the artifact that Estel breaks in Season one in place of another in his library.

Cool idea! I don't know if/when we will show Rivendell in flashback, but that is a good visual connection.

Since the Execs will be discussing Episode 2 tomorrow, we'll be on track if we discuss Episode 1 on Saturday. So....'kick-off' has now become 'get to work' :p

Whoa, wait, Episode 2 is tomorrow!?

Dang it, I specifically scheduled board games because I thought we were off this week. :(

Well, At least I'm caught up on the podcast.

Yes - though if you were caught up, they announced that at the end? (maybe after the recording ended, though).

Last edited:
Thoughts on Episode 1 for the discussion:

* The overarching theme for the episode seems to be fear - both fear of evil/the Shadow, and fear in a grander sense like awe at things beyond our comprehension. Tying that into a larger theme for the season would likely be useful! A lot of challenges to portray existential stuff in this episode...

* Frame - pacing ourselves. There were a lot of good ideas and back story and everything put forward for the development of the frame story/characters. WAY too much to include in the first episode, actually, so we'll have to pick and choose what happens now and what will be saved for later episodes.

* The Battle between the Valar and Melkor? That was...not discussed, but should be happening now-ish. We will have to decide how to work that in on our own (unless the Execs cover that during the Episode 2 discussion tomorrow). On a related subject...Melkor's trial - are we going to include that? Will we be checking in with Mairon(Sauron) and Gothmog in Angband at any point in the first episode, or are we saving that for later?

* Relationships to establish at Cuivienen? Again, we got very little input on what dynamics to include, except for the direction not to overdo it with minor incidental characters. So, focusing on Ingwë, Finwë and Elwë, what dynamics are we trying to establish as the status quo before the arrival of discord? Also, how will we be introducing Finwë? (Possible introductions for Elwë and Ingwë were suggested.)

Whew, that was quite the discussion! I realize they won't all be that long, thankfully.

Here is the name of the Hunter/Dark Rider I was trying to remember:

mbelekôro (said to be the "oldest Q[uenya] form" of Melkor, but evidently far more primitive than the Quenya of historical times) (WJ:402)

Does that sound scary enough for a name for the monster?

The Primitive Elvish name for Melkor was Mailikô, Mailikâ "Greedy One".

Back