Legolas

Ange1e4e5

Legolas... needs little introduction, as the son of Thranduil and future member of the Fellowship of the Ring. The Hosts have suggested that he be darker, which I'm not too sure about considering that even though Legolas is of Sindarin heritage, his father is blond and we shouldn't stray too far from that; otherwise they might not look like father and son. He should be taller than his father as well.

Role: a member of his father's entourage. Not too sure who should have character development between him or his father.

So let me remind everyone that the actor we're looking for will be with us for a really long time. He will have to look reasonably young for a couple of decades (at least). For this reason alone, I'm tempted to suggest that we write him out of this season. But for now, it's important to remember that the actor has to be really young - not a teenager, but a young adult.

So let me remind everyone that the actor we're looking for will be with us for a really long time. He will have to look reasonably young for a couple of decades (at least). For this reason alone, I'm tempted to suggest that we write him out of this season. But for now, it's important to remember that the actor has to be really young - not a teenager, but a young adult.
Age range: 20-30?

Age range: 20-30?
Let’s say this is meant to take thirty seasons. That means he has to look more or less the same age for about 25 years. It’s almost impossible. I think reality is doing a little trammelling here. But hey, we cast a 40-something Galadriel, who will be close to 70 when Frodo meets her, so...

I've said this before, that without recasting actors, this show would be impossible to shoot season by season. It would have to be all at once.

Ok. So we imagine that we not only aren’t restricted by economic factors, but by any factor, even time within the project itself.

If this takes 40 seasons, and imagine a successful filming of five minutes each day (which is a lot), every single day (which would be too much), it would take about 18 years.

Last edited:
Ok. So we imagine that we not only aren’t restricted by economic factors, but by any factor, even time within the project itself.

If this takes 40 seasons, and imagine a successful filming of five minutes each day (which is a lot) would take about 18 years.

Right, but not every actor is necessary throughout the whole project. So you would likely be filming most of the frame story at the same time you were filming Third Age material, and you would likely have to put some actors in mild age makeup near the beginning of the shoot (Elrond springs to mind), so that the change would not be so drastic.

No matter how you slice it, planning for the same actor to look virtually unaged from Season 4 to Season 40, filmed season by season just isn't feasible. Also, I'd say 40 seasons might be a stretch. Six seasons for LoTR, 1-2 for Hobbit, 2-3 seasons for 2nd age, and probably 10-12 for first age, you're looking at closer to 20-25 seasons, which is in the decade range and much more doable with good planning.

Ok, thanks for correcting me on the overall time perspective! And yes, I agree about the general idea to combine a given actor's filming schedule logistically - we talked about that regarding Elrond for example when working on season one. So maybe it all could be filmed in 10-15 years, giving the actors some time to visit their family.
Sorry, I realise that this issue is kind of ridiculous. Regardless, I want it to be some kind of logic to it.

So, after this wonderful clarification, let's get back to casting! I think that we can assume that actors 20-25 of age would be reasonable targets for this particular hunt.

Nicholas Hoult is 25. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0396558/
I think he meets the criteria, being tall - over 6' 2" (but we will have to find a taller Aragorn then, or use boxes) and someone who can look powerful in an effortless way. The hair colour can be changed of course, although I don't mind darker hair.

download.jpg images.jpg

Back