LondonMoot April 28th

Darren Grey

Signum University is coming to Europe, with the first Mythgard London Speculative Fiction Symposium, aka LondonMoot: www.londonmoot.com

This is a one day event focusing on science fiction, fantasy and classical literature. There is currently an open call for papers for people to submit talk/session ideas (closing date 5th March). Confirmed speakers for the symposium include:
- Dr Corey Olsen, Signum University president and host of The Tolkien Professor podcast
- Dr Beatrice Grove, Lecturer in Renaissance English at Oxford and author of Literary Allusion in Harry Potter
- John Garth, author of Tolkien and the Great War

Tickets are £30 for the day, with discounts for students.

I'm organising this, mostly out of jealousy of all the cool *moots over in the USA, and because there was clear community interest in having something over in Europe. Ask if you have any questions!

Signum University is coming to Europe, with the first Mythgard London Speculative Fiction Symposium, aka LondonMoot: www.londonmoot.com

This is a one day event focusing on science fiction, fantasy and classical literature. There is currently an open call for papers for people to submit talk/session ideas (closing date 5th March).

Spectacular! Where should paper submissions be sent?

I had an idea which might result in a paper if there were the slightest possibility of overcoming my crippling stage-fright but might work for a "session".

People argue about what Ungoliant and Tom Bombadil might be, and where the Barrow-wights came from, and what "the spirit of Caradhras" might actually be. I would like to go through the texts (as JRRT would recommend ;-) to find any mention of anything "spirit-like" to see whether light could be shone upon this subject.

My personal headcanon is that there is a pool of spirits even more numerous than the Maiar from which Ents and Eagles are drawn, among others, and that Morgoth and Sauron found a way to coerce and corrupt them, and it would be nice to be able to give that some kind of validation from the original texts.

Back