looking ahead to other songs

SteveR

It's not quite the pub song that Corey described before we got to the "Merry Old Inn", but Inspiration struck yesterday at a moment when I had time to write and quickly record a bluegrass setting of "Troll Sat Alone", the song Sam sings when they camp by Bilbo's trolls. Unless I'm mistaken, it's the next song we encounter in the story. Before we reach it, I will get a more refined version together, but I wanted to post this as a taste of what's to come, for those who wish it...

https://soundcloud.com/prsteve27/troll-sat-alone-on-his-seat-of-stone

For anyone who has not yet heard it, here is the recording of Tolkien singing "Troll Sat Alone:"

IIRC, he made this recording prior to the publication of Lord of the Rings.

Fun stuff, Steve! Totally awesome Bluegrass harmony! What talent!

In the version that MithLuin posted where Tolkien is singing "Troll Sat Alone," the words aren't the same as the text published in the Lord of the Rings. The protagonist is named John, not Tom, and some of the verses are different. That lends support to the theory that Tolkien recorded the song before the book was published.

Fun stuff, Steve! Totally awesome Bluegrass harmony! What talent!

In the version that MithLuin posted where Tolkien is singing "Troll Sat Alone," the words aren't the same as the text published in the Lord of the Rings. The protagonist is named John, not Tom, and some of the verses are different. That lends support to the theory that Tolkien recorded the song before the book was published.

As it turns out, Bluegrass harmony is really straightforward and really just a question of hitting the notes along the chord progression. I’ve never done any bluegrass before but this was lots of fun so I will have to do more in the future. Thank you for the accolades!

I noticed the difference in the text between the published version and the one Tolkien sings. I think Corey mentioned this was another song Tolkien either worked on for a while or that he had previously published as poetry.

Back