LOTRO 101 Video

John Lambert

Howdy Mythgardians!
(Is that proper term??)

Catching a temporary bout of insanity, I have decided to produce a basic LOTRO 101 video for new players.

I figure with LOTRO's decision for multiple updates and expansion later this year, new folks may join the game as well as our kin.

The concept is to do a brief 10-minute discussion of all the classes for the newbie. Then have a prepared list of other resources if the newbie wants more in depth information. Like LOTRO'S Academy's class reviews as well as other sources.

Trish also suggested that we could create a forum for newbies as well with all these resources listed as well. Also, a nice place for discussions as well.

I just think it would be a good thing to have for newbies and even for some of us "older" veterans who may want to venture out and try a new class.

So I'm asking for volunteers for either as panel members or for behind the scenes work. If you are interested, please let me know below and what classes you feel comfortable talking about.

Thanks in advance!

I would love to help out any way I can.

I am most familiar with the minstrel, but would also be able to talk about the warden, lore master and rune keeper. While I'm not an absolute expert on these classes, I can certainly speak to their playstyle for an introduction video.

I also, just recently, setup video recording on my machine (OBS). I'd be happy to try and record anything that might be useful.

Hi John,
I would love to help I'm not the most experienced of players only have about 5 month under my belt but if you need help count me in.

Hello - I started LOTRO for the first time because of the Exploring the LOTR Class and I have taught myself quite a bit and rose up to level 20 with a character on the Arkenstone server but am very ignorant about online gaming and confused about lots of things - I would appreciate if someone could point me to helpful resources. The LOTRO wiki page has lots of great info - but I'm still confused about a LOT of things! For instance, I just read through some of these blog threads and now realize that the Mythgard kinship is on a different server than the one I have spent countless hours on advancing my character and it seems I can't join the main kinship unless I develop a new character on the right server. Had no clue about this before and think I may have wasted a LOT of time if I want to be in the kinship. Any info or advice on where to find out the answers to my numerous questions would be greatly appreciated. Love this class - but am woefully ignorant about gaming! Thank you!

I would appreciate if someone could point me to helpful resources

Well, you came to the right place :).

There certainly are resources to help you get going. One good place to start would be LotRO Players: http://lotroplayers.com/

But, if you have lots of questions, actual chat might be easier...

SignumU has a discord channel (which the Exploring the LOTR uses), if you aren't already in it, you should be able to do so with this link: https://discord.gg/ZcphZKM -- once there, feel free to ask questions in the lotro text channel, and I'm sure if someone is around, you'll get some help.

There's a broader LotRO discord channel as well, you can join that server here: http://discord.me/lotrodiscord -- there's helpful people there as well.

If you ever see Gravidy on Discord, please right click and select "Add Friend." I'll be glad to help.

As far as having your character on Arkenstone, and wanting to be in the main Mythgard kinship, it is possible to transfer your character to Landroval. However, that costs 2495 LotRO points (which you'd have to buy/acquire before starting the transfer). But, with a fairly new level 20 character, that might not be worthwhile (it really depends on your value of the time, I guess). You can find details here: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Character_Transfer_Wizard

Well, you came to the right place :).

There certainly are resources to help you get going. One good place to start would be LotRO Players: http://lotroplayers.com/

But, if you have lots of questions, actual chat might be easier...

SignumU has a discord channel (which the Exploring the LOTR uses), if you aren't already in it, you should be able to do so with this link: https://discord.gg/ZcphZKM -- once there, feel free to ask questions in the lotro text channel, and I'm sure if someone is around, you'll get some help.

There's a broader LotRO discord channel as well, you can join that server here: http://discord.me/lotrodiscord -- there's helpful people there as well.

If you ever see Gravidy on Discord, please right click and select "Add Friend." I'll be glad to help.

As far as having your character on Arkenstone, and wanting to be in the main Mythgard kinship, it is possible to transfer your character to Landroval. However, that costs 2495 LotRO points (which you'd have to buy/acquire before starting the transfer). But, with a fairly new level 20 character, that might not be worthwhile (it really depends on your value of the time, I guess). You can find details here: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Character_Transfer_Wizard
Thanks so much Gravidy! This really helps. I just started playing and figuring things out the hard way - it is good to know that I can ask for help. Really appreciate it! I joined Discord and sent you a friend request under the name "Isybel".

Last edited:
Agree with everything Gravidy say's. Will add some other info for you also. Another great place to get information on playing LOTRO is at The LOTRO Academy Podcast. It is a part of The LOTRO Players site that Gravidy gave you the link to. The Academy has a Tab on Players home page, and their Podcast focus on the new players with many specific topic. I also would roll a new Character on Landroval and join the Mythguard kin there instead of a transfer. Now that you have leveled to 20 you will find it will go a lot faster on a new character. If you want to stay on Arkenstone, you might also like to look into joining The Academy's Kinship. We have a field trip every Friday at 6 pm server time, (6 pm est). Branick is the leader (and host of the podcast) and he will welcome you to the kinship. Their are many members of Mythguard that are also members of the Academy Kinship as well, so you would learn a lot from us. In fact a bunch of us just leveled a group of characters to level 20 and are running around together on them. So if you are interested in this let me know, adn I will give you more information on getting a invite to Kinship.

Agree with everything Gravidy say's. Will add some other info for you also. Another great place to get information on playing LOTRO is at The LOTRO Academy Podcast. It is a part of The LOTRO Players site that Gravidy gave you the link to. The Academy has a Tab on Players home page, and their Podcast focus on the new players with many specific topic. I also would roll a new Character on Landroval and join the Mythguard kin there instead of a transfer. Now that you have leveled to 20 you will find it will go a lot faster on a new character. If you want to stay on Arkenstone, you might also like to look into joining The Academy's Kinship. We have a field trip every Friday at 6 pm server time, (6 pm est). Branick is the leader (and host of the podcast) and he will welcome you to the kinship. Their are many members of Mythguard that are also members of the Academy Kinship as well, so you would learn a lot from us. In fact a bunch of us just leveled a group of characters to level 20 and are running around together on them. So if you are interested in this let me know, adn I will give you more information on getting a invite to Kinship.
Awesome info - thanks! I will roll a new character on Landroval and join the Mythgard kin when I feel I can handle it. Will check into Academy Kinship on Arkenstone. My Arkenstone character is a Lore Master and it seems her abilities will help with assisting a group, rather than doing everything solo. The time I can commit to gaming varies a lot (I do have a mundane life to maintain, unfortunately.......)

John, I'll be happy to lend a hand as I'm able and have knowledge. I won't say I'm the last or most advanced word on *any* of the following - but I like to think I can help make Hunter and Guardian more accessible to folks, and also give some good tips to handling and working with LIs and the 'stuff' around them.

Back