Luthien's spindle and distaff (& "tree" loom)

Odola

Metal takhli spindle ideas:

Those seem like elvish spindles - of the kind Luthien would have - (like the lights effect)

This seems something Luthien would like:
1657273826022.png
1657273826022.png

1657276266503.png

Wooden supported spindle ideas:
1657313481489.png

1657313580548.png

17072093659_2a79b9a105_o.jpg (1975×871) (staticflickr.com)
1657313616766.png

2014-05-22-15.44.191-scaled-600x338.jpg (600×338) (meilindis.nl)
1657313827303.png
Mirkwoord Arts Boromir, Eowyn, Frodo, Phil Powell Russians (3x), Tinasangoras Phang, Enid Ashcroft Pocket Tibetan, TwistedGrain Contingency

1390757478.jpg (1289×756) (knitnatural.com)
1657314093790.png

1657316009165.png

Wood/glass suported spindles:

1657315944199.png

1657316204386.png

Last edited:
luthien spinning.jpg

I do find a supported spindle far more suited for spinning in a tree that a free drop one, as a latter one would fall to the ground ultimately (and the spun thread would get entagled in the branches below). A supported takhli is also well suited for silk spinning.

Last edited:
Last edited:
So the possible steps that I see for the montage:

Fiber extraction:
- growing hair long
- cutting a handfull stand hair of and winding it into a loose round ball and lie in a basket untill there are several of those

Spinning:
- piercing a roving ball with the distaff and then support spinning
- the spun thread is wind of from the spindle into a ball - a nostepinne might be used
(- additionally - plying can be shown when two or more singles (single threads) are twined together- is a special form of spinning, as it is just twining without drafting - this step could be assumed and not shown, or whown - one just spins from two or more single thread balls - plying is necessary for the stronger warp threads, those that hang down with the weights attached - if that is shown, wodden yarn bowls would come very handy)

Weaving:
- the ready thread is then wound onto the shuttles (simple stick shuttles - I would assume?)
- the warp then is prepared (which best show only partialy, as it is a long and difficult process - maybe using the Navajo style method - if this is how our warp beam/cloth beam works [it is the one shown in my picture above] - if we choose to have the top of the loom done the Old World way, we would need to make the tree branch a little more complictated - as the cloth bar rotates in those styles - and I do not think that we really do need this specific function here)
- then I would have Daeron attaching the first upper top beam (tension bar) to the choosen tree branch [if we go wih the Nawajo style loom top]
- then I would have Daeron help Luthien to attach the warp beam/cloth beam onto the top beam at the both ends and maybe though the warp threads at certain intervals in the middle
- then comes the attaching the weights to the bottom of the warp threads (might be done per hand or maybe just by thowing them and having them magically attach to the hanging threads - as elvish threads might behave like elvish rope and do what they are told to)
- inserting the shed rod/shed bar
(- inserting the lease rods/lease sticks - if needed)
- the weaving itself (the fastest part part of the process - a weaving sword used the beat the weft threads together - as far I understand we do not have a heddle as we do not have where to rest it - and having one would make not much sense given the width of the fabric- so the separation of the front and back warp threads would be done manually - not a problem for a skilled elf (while a complete nightmare for a human - still the oldest depictions and the "historic" ones depicting ancient looms above are heddle-less)

After-processing:
- taking the work from the loom

[tailoring if needed - that's tricky in the confinement of the tree house imho]

finishing the cloak off - attaching the bands/strips/ribbons for fastening - hems - hood - embroidery - whatever
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Is any weaver-reenactor here to see this through? - I can vouch for the spinning part - but big weaving I never had the patience (even the mere thought of warping makes me feel exhousted - I do not need to do it) and space to attempt - I am more a naalbinding/sprang type...
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

wodden yarn bowls:

1657614193586.png

1657614239323.png

Wodden nostepinnes:

1657614263166.png

1657614324232.png

1657614351719.png

Last edited:
Here the distaff - it was a bit more complicated to create - had to switch to another software to finish it up, but finally here it comes - with the nightingale on top

(View in 3D)

hopefully the leaves will not break off in printing

Last edited:
Back