Míriel

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
Let's discuss some actresses who could play Míriel. It's not s simple part to play. I suggest that Jennifer Connelly could pull it off. (Her hair will be silver of course)

upload_2016-5-24_8-46-38.jpegupload_2016-5-24_8-46-59.jpeg

She is described as small and dark, in contrast to Indis being tall and blond. But yes, as long as she clearly looks nothing like Indis, I'm fine with her hair color being dark or silver. I would assume a darker skin tone would be the best way to do that contrast.

'A Tapestry of Sorrows' is an older piece of art by Jenny Dolfen depicting a dark-haired Míriel:

Jenny_Dolfen_-_A_Tapestry_of_Sorrows.jpg

*REPOST*
(somehow I missed this thread and created a new one)

For Miriel, mother of Feanor, I nominate Rooney Mara. Since, alas, the most notable thing about Miriel is her fading after the birth of her son, I like the idea of a waifish, shorter actress for her: Rooney Mara is 5'3. (I also don't think we have to go with PJ's typecasting of elves as tall: while certain elves are described as tall, I'm not convinced every elf has to be.) She's also pale, which I think will suit her silvery hair better: tan and silver hair almost always looks like someone is playing "the old lady" in a school play to me.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1913734/?ref_=nmmi_mi_nm

MV5BMzA5NDkzMjEwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTgzNDcyNw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,656,1000_AL_.jpg
MV5BMTQ0NjQ1MDYwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzU2NTk1MDE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg
rooney-mara-c77969a7-42c0-484f-bd63-d5fc4a6e463d.jpg

*REPOST*
(somehow I missed this thread and created a new one)

For Miriel, mother of Feanor, I nominate Rooney Mara. Since, alas, the most notable thing about Miriel is her fading after the birth of her son, I like the idea of a waifish, shorter actress for her: Rooney Mara is 5'3. (I also don't think we have to go with PJ's typecasting of elves as tall: while certain elves are described as tall, I'm not convinced every elf has to be.) She's also pale, which I think will suit her silvery hair better: tan and silver hair almost always looks like someone is playing "the old lady" in a school play to me.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1913734/?ref_=nmmi_mi_nm

MV5BMzA5NDkzMjEwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTgzNDcyNw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,656,1000_AL_.jpg
MV5BMTQ0NjQ1MDYwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzU2NTk1MDE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg
rooney-mara-c77969a7-42c0-484f-bd63-d5fc4a6e463d.jpg
Excellent!

On the contrary, getting a "big name" actor to play a recurring role in a TV series is unusual. Having them be around for a once-per-season cameo or playing a role that only appears in a couple of episodes is much more realistic.

"Big name" typically means featured prominently on the movie poster - you don't see these actors on the small screen very often.

Samuel L. Jackson did appear in the 'Agents of Shield' TV show in his role as Nick Fury from the Avengers films - but *not* on a week-to-week basis. He appeared once for a cameo early in the first season, and I think in the season finale. I haven't watched later seasons of the show to know if they brought him back for more.

Checking out Natalie Portman's imdb page reveals that she has appeared on TV - in two episodes of the Simpsons, one episode of Sesame Street, and in the recently announced TV mini-series "We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves". That's it; the rest of her resume is feature films and shorts.

So, yes, it's unrealistic to cast her in the Silm Film project at all, but casting her in a minor role that won't recur is actually more likely to fly!

Luckily, we aren't constrained by reality and can cast whomever we like, regardless of whether or not they'd be caught dead on our show ;).

So, yes, it's unrealistic to cast her in the Silm Film project at all, but casting her in a minor role that won't recur is actually more likely to fly!

Luckily, we aren't constrained by reality and can cast whomever we like, regardless of whether or not they'd be caught dead on our show ;).

Point taken. See how well I know television?

I'm still not sold on her for Miriel: think it's giving me Revenge of the Sith flashbacks. I do want to put an asterisk on her name, as a possibility for other roles.

Portman can surely be used for a character, but I do agree that it would be a bit too similar to her Star Wars experience.

I do see the problem with casting her as "mother of someone awesom". Her spunkiness would be good for some of the scenes we have her in, though. Hmmm.

I do see the problem with casting her as "mother of someone awesom". Her spunkiness would be good for some of the scenes we have her in, though. Hmmm.
Thankfully, Miriel is hardly the only spunky female character we have to work with. I nominated Rooney Mara, and Haakon suggested Jennifer Connelly. Do we have a strong preference between the two? I will confess the only Connelly film I've seen is Labyrinth, in which she was adorable.

Back