Maedhros

Thanks! This is a cool project. I wish Amazon would pay attention to it as they create their series!
Yeah, I found that out, he is. Maybe he used it in John Wick but to be honest I'm not really sure.

Unfortunately (depending upon your perspective), Amazon does not have the rights to the Silmarillion material on which this project is primarily focused.

Yes.

2e4ee86737e9f293735677deb5dd3f1d--shorter-hair-longer-hair.jpg
951563f7ad7837e8f2d0e80cfce55ccd--henry-superman-eye-candy-men.jpg

Since elves are cleanshaven, it's just a question of whether one wants to dye the eyebrows a little lighter to make the red hair on the wig blend in. Granted, a natural red-head has the correct coloring already, but I think it's fine.

Cavill seems like a nice guy but personally I’m not impressed by his acting, to be honest. He’s fine as Superman but then that’s mostly action, camera angles and editing.

I have not seen his Superman, but was impressed by his acting in The Tudors. His character arc in that series is interesting. Of course, to each his own - I realize this is a very subjective thing, and my main request for Maedhros is that he pull off tortured/tormented well. We want the audience to root for this guy after they've written his brothers off as villains, and the tragedy of the Oath is mostly seen through the lens of his fall and destruction with the later kinslayings.

Sure, he should be tall and good-looking too, but mostly the tormented thing. I'm not familiar with all of the nominees, so I'm certainly not intending to imply that I think any of them can't pull this off. Cavill and Heughan in particular can (I think).

my main request for Maedhros is that he pull off tortured/tormented well. We want the audience to root for this guy after they've written his brothers off as villains, and the tragedy of the Oath is mostly seen through the lens of his fall and destruction with the later kinslayings.

I, personally, can easily see Cavill as Maedhros. For pretty much this exact reason. I'm not really bothered by his height, though I get why a person standing naturally at the height we're looking for would be a relatively more appealing option.

Yes I wasn’t implying that Cavill objectively is a bad actor, that would have been...well, wrong. I was merely expressing an opinion. But yes, I did see The Tudors.

Last edited:
Question: Has Tolkien ever commented on Maedhros's face anywhere? From what I remember, his comeliness primarily comes from his beautiful bodily shape (and auburn hair I guess), and not from beautiful facial features (like Finarfin and Finrod). Of course, not saying he should be ugly, but perhaps he doesn't need a standard, perfectly-proportioned face...?

I really couldn't find anything about it.he is very tall, a musician, a mighty singer.He is never called an exceptionally fair or beautiful guy anywhere in the texts.Only in the etymologies where he has the name "Maitimo" "shapely one" for his "comeliness", Russandol for his copper hair and maybe skin and well, Maedhros is translated as "pale glitter" , could refer to his hair, skin or eyes, but i presume eyes.

Based on this i'd say he is probably not an exceptionally good looking guy by face but possibly just has an athletic look and is , well "nice to look at".Maybe he has a very sporty upper body and likes to show off... who knows?

One thing I realized yesterday: since Eldarin women put a lot of creative energy into children, it is no wonder that Nerdanel, a sculptor, should have a child who is "of beautiful bodily shape". So I suppose Maedhros would probably have the classical sculpture type of body, well-proportioned in addition to being tall and athletic. Not just tough-looking but "beautiful".
(But I suppose we are not going to see him posing for a sculpture or something on screen, so I guess we don't need to be that strict when we are choosing actors?)

Last edited:
In terms of facial appearance, we probably can't have him more good-looking than Finrod or Finarfin.

In terms of facial appearance, we probably can't have him more good-looking than Finrod or Finarfin.
Well this kind of rule is regrettably hard to achieve with the kind of casting process we’ve had here. Every role has been cast by free nominations and voting, and subjective perspectives on looks tend to tip the results in some unexpected direction. On top of that, those characters that you mention were cast in at least two different seasons (perhaps three, I don’t recall at the moment) and such comparisons were not always a priority, I can’t say for sure how the discussion went. But I guess it’s more of an academic discussion since Maedhros was cast a couple of years ago.
Glad for your input! Happy to have you here!

Well this kind of rule is regrettably hard to achieve with the kind of casting process we’ve had here. Every role has been cast by free nominations and voting, and subjective perspectives on looks tend to tip the results in some unexpected direction. On top of that, those characters that you mention were cast in at least two different seasons (perhaps three, I don’t recall at the moment) and such comparisons were not always a priority, I can’t say for sure how the discussion went. But I guess it’s more of an academic discussion since Maedhros was cast a couple of years ago.
Glad for your input! Happy to have you here!
Ah, sorry, didn't know that he was cast. Gonna go find out who that actor was...

Back