Maeglin

Junesong

I think Asa Butterfield (Ender's Game) would make a great young Maeglin.

As for grown up Maeglin, I think Cillian Murphy (Batman Begins, 28 Days Later) would be a great choice.

Both actors are English, both are great in everything, and both fit (more or less) the descriptions in the book.

As for Eol (Maeglin's father) I'm not sure. He should still look youngish - because Elves don't really age that much. Someone tall, thin and dark haired.
Maybe Rys Ifans (Notting Hill, Harry Potter, Amazing Spider Man) in a dark haired wig.

Anyway - there's my pics for the roles. It would certainly be casting I'd be excited for. It's also my favorite Silmarillion character.

Junesong - Spot on with Cillian Murphy! I'm envisioning him with some longer hair and he's got that perfect broody/indifferent vibe that I get from Maeglin. Or is that just me???

Here's kind of how I envisioned him (this is totally Silm Art I bummed off Tumblr - it's not mine!).

Kate J - I think Ben Barnes would do if we were going for a regal Maeglin - not so much quasi-mad, going after my cousin - Maeglin I think we'd be portraying with Cillian Murphy. It'll depend on how we decide to depict him.

But I totally can't get Prince Caspian out of my head when I look at him. I know that's terrible!!!

Attachments

• tumblr_n9elgb5WBl1ta6jv9o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n9elgb5WBl1ta6jv9o1_500.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The problem with Ben Barnes... in my case at least, is that I would have a hard time separating Maeglin from Dorian Gray

So I am going to go with Harry Lloyd.

As for Eol (Maeglin's father) I'm not sure. He should still look youngish - because Elves don't really age that much. Someone tall, thin and dark haired.
Maybe Rys Ifans (Notting Hill, Harry Potter, Amazing Spider Man) in a dark haired wig.

How did I miss this? I'd really like to see Ifans as Eöl!

I think Asa Butterfield (Ender's Game) would make a great young Maeglin.

As for grown up Maeglin, I think Cillian Murphy (Batman Begins, 28 Days Later) would be a great choice.

Both actors are English, both are great in everything, and both fit (more or less) the descriptions in the book.

Anyway - there's my pics for the roles. It would certainly be casting I'd be excited for. It's also my favorite Silmarillion character.
Well... since november, I've completely changed my mind. I think Cillian Murphy would be great. And why not Asa Butterfield as a younger Maeglin, also good.
I listened to the Fantasy Casting session, and Olsen and Lambert seemed to find Paul Bettany a good choice for Eöl. And I think Murphy could work as Bettany's son.

I had been thinking Alan Rickman was perfect for a role like this. Not sure if we're restricting ourselves to currently-living people. I remember the professor saying anyone was fair game, but now I'm not sure.

In the Fantasy Casting session, I think Dr Olsen said that in this case, he preferred to be trammelled by reality after all.

I say Frank Dillane.

LordVoldemort_HeroFiennes-Tiffin_2009.jpg

Back