Maeglin

Ange1e4e5

When the time comes for Season 5, please move this to the appropriate subforum.

Maeglin Lomion is the son of Aredhel and Eöl, and nephew of Turgon King of Gondolin. Conceived under dubious circumstances (depending on the version Eöl rapes Aredhel or coerces her to marry him), he leaves with his mother to Gondolin in 400 F.A. Maeglin learned and taught much to the people of Gondolin, finding rich lodes of metal in the Encircling Mountains surrounding the city and leading his own house, the House of the Mole. Proved himself in battle at the Nirnaeth Arnoediad. Desired his cousin Idril and desired to seize her and the throne of Gondolin with it. Captured between F.A. 503 and F.A. 510 and coerced (or tortured) into revealing Gondolin's location, with the price of Idril's hand. In the Fall of Gondolin he attempted to rape Idril and kill her son Earendil, but was slain by Tuor, who threw him to his death.

Being a Noldor, we're probably going for a dark-haired and pale actor, likely on the younger side.

Freddie Highmore was one of the first people I envisioned for the role of Maeglin. Has a large range of ability, from the sweet Charlie Bucket to the unstable serial killer Norman Bates to the gifted but autistic Dr. Shaun Murphy. Early in his career, he played the Grace twins in the Spiderwick Chronicles, which involved different physical appearances, personalities, and even voices; while that's not required for Maeglin, it shows how far Highmore can go.

Freddie Highmore
Height: 5'10"
Roles: Charlie Bucket in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005), Jared and Simon Grace in The Spiderwick Chronicles, Norman Bates in Bates Motel, Dr. Shaun Murphy in The Good Doctor

Attachments

• 539w.jpg
    539w.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
  • OIP.jpg
    OIP.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1
Louis Partridge
Height: Unknown; reports have ranged from 5'9" to 6'0"
Roles: Piero de' Medici in Medici, Viscount Tewkesbury in Enola Holmes

I've mostly known him for his role as Tewkesbury in Enola Holmes, but he did a pretty good job playing a runaway aristocrat who's street-smart and can survive on his own, yet is utterly hormone-addled in an amusing way. Maeglin of course will take things to another level.
MV5BYjdjMGZiNWMtZGUzMi00NzU3LWExOWEtNTUwODUxMGYzYWZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTkzNDI2OTE@._V1_.jpg

Millie-Bobby-Brown-and-Louis-Partridge-in-Enola-Holmes.jpg

I have previously named Sendhil Ramamurthy... however he's in his early fourties and probably too,old...

What about

Fady Elsayed...
He has an interesting face

Height: 5'7

Or Maxim Baldry, who would be an interesting anti-type cast as he is usually the nice guy

Height:5'10

Last edited:
Baldry is really interesting, a very good candidate! I don’t know if you’ve listened to the last session but he’s just the kind of guy I was thinking about.

Last edited:
Didn't listen to anything silmfilm or mythgard related at all for months, just catching up again...

Elsayed, i like this picture of him where he looks tortured or vampire-like and noticed he can look proud as well as sensitive and vulnerable, think that hits Maeglin.

Baldry, must be the eyes... he really has that kind of look that would make a guy like Maeglin even more unlikely to be a traitor... it would hurt the audience to see a guy like him becoming corrupted, which i think would serve the story we want to tell.

Baldry, must be the eyes... he really has that kind of look that would make a guy like Maeglin even more unlikely to be a traitor... it would hurt the audience to see a guy like him becoming corrupted, which i think would serve the story we want to tell.
Exactly. But it’s not just that he becomes corrupted, the quality that makes people love him is actually a flaw, the lack of a robust core which fuels his ambition. Idril senses this, but nobody else.

I have previously named Sendhil Ramamurthy... however he's in his early fourties and probably too,old...

What about

Fady Elsayed...
He has an interesting face

Height: 5'7

Or Maxim Baldry, who would be an interesting anti-type cast as he is usually the nice guy

Height:5'10

I’m having a hard time seeing the resemblance between either Elsayed and Baldry and Mark Strong or Charlotte Riley.

Neither do any of the other actors mentioned before have any strong resemblence.bitnhow many pictures have you seen?

Tom Holland? He doesn't exactly scream "villain" when you look at him, he’s got a fair amount of muscle. And I could see something with Maeglin’s enthusiasm for his work.

tom-holland-04.jpg

5b8e8e17828cfe82834de3bc7b518cac87fe3613.jpg

Both Tom Holland and Louis Partridge scream 'cinnamon bun' to me (you know, too sweet and precious for this world, an adorable innocent who needs to be protected from others). Perhaps they have depth to play a darker side, but from what I saw in Enola Holmes and Spiderman: Homecoming, I would not choose either of these actors to play someone with a darker side, even if what we want is 'innocent-appearing' - because the darkness has to come out, eventually, and we need an actor who can be menacing despite the 'innocent' look.

I don't intend to suggest him for Maeglin, but as an example of 'innocent, but can play dark,' I would submit Alexander Calvert, who plays Jack Kline on Supernatural. He's an innocent (literally newborn) and a good kid who thinks that lying is bad and wants to do what's right...but, oops, he has superpowers and is the literal son of Satan, so, it's...complicated. He accidentally kills people a lot. Therefore, they had to choose an actor who would keep the audience guessing, 'is this kid evil?' over multiple storyarcs. I think they made a good choice, and that he played 'wholesome yet potentially menacing' very well. It helps that some of the material he was given was 'sit there and cheerfully eat a human heart' - and obviously how the other actors react to him give the audiences cues.

Here's examples of the good-natured 'sweet and innocent' version of Jack:

And here's the 'watch out, this kid is unpredictable and unhinged' version of Jack:

I would want whoever we select as Maeglin to have at least this much range.

Last edited:
Holland at the least can play violent anti-heroes, as shown in The Devil All the Time. I went more with the hormone-addled teenager-type with suggesting Partridge, which is played for comedy in Enola Holmes, since Maeglin takes his attraction to Idril in a far darker direction.

Last edited:
Back