Mandos

Chris Durston

Mandos obviously ought to be someone who can do quite a stern sort of look, but also someone who's believably sort of paternal enough to be the keeper of the halls of the dead.
As the one who pronounces dooms, I think he also ought to have a distinctive voice. Sadly, the late great Christopher Lee would probably have been perfect, but some contenders in my head are:
Nic Cage (he's been suggested for at least one other role on here, but in case he doesn't get that one I just wanna make sure there are more spaces available for him)
Anthony Hopkins
Bill Nighy
Michael Gambon
Sean Bean
Christopher Walken (as long as he was kept reined in a bit)
I notice I'm leaning towards an older appearance but I've also been thinking about Tom Hardy, Chow Yun Fat, Dylan McDermott, Cillian Murphy...I also think Ian McKellen could do rather well, which brings up the interesting question of whether we could recast Jackson's actors into new roles.

Any thoughts?

Forget my crazy Karloff ideas, I have come to think that we should be very cautious with casting old, dead actors.

About Mandos, I'm thinking about the fact that Lorien and Mandos are brothers, and Nienna is their sister. Of course, exactly what that means is unclear, but there should be some visual theme, at least. Just like you Chris, I tend to think old actors here. But maybe there is some other theme that might fit the Fëanturi and their sister. Oh well, in the end I guess we will have to accomplish that in some other way than in casting. I have only a few suggestions for Mandos: Mark Strong (but he is also a candidate for Manwë in my opinion) and Javier Bardem.
http://www.salon.com/2010/12/30/bardem_2/

Last edited:
I've suggested Idris Elba previously (Heimdell in the Thor movies) and I still think he would make an awesome Mandos. When I'm thinking of who we should cast as him, my first thought is "Can I see [name of actor] delivering the doom of the Noldor?" Morgan Freeman and James Earl Jones have "the voice" but don't really have the look. I think Elba really would fit the part.

All I know is that Sean Bean can't play Mandos because, well, he doesn't die in this story... :)

I still like Brandon's idea of Idris Elba, a lot!

Trying to think of people who could be 'related' to Idris Elba, and yet not be overshadowed by his domineering acting style:
Don Cheadle could actually be a good Lorien. I think he can match Elba with quiet intensity when needed, but can also lighten the mood because he also has some comedic background.
don-cheadle.jpg

Last edited:
I've suggested Idris Elba previously (Heimdell in the Thor movies) and I still think he would make an awesome Mandos. When I'm thinking of who we should cast as him, my first thought is "Can I see [name of actor] delivering the doom of the Noldor?" Morgan Freeman and James Earl Jones have "the voice" but don't really have the look. I think Elba really would fit the part.

All I know is that Sean Bean can't play Mandos because, well, he doesn't die in this story... :)

I just want to see Idris Alba SOMEWHERE. Many of the suggestions for him sound good. I pretty much only know him from The Wire, so I think he'd be great as someone with a hidden agenda.
I think he would be best as Oromë.

We've had this process here that was close to reaching the consensus that Idris Elba would be a good choice. The Big 3, however, have required a different look. So we will have to rethink....

Idris Elba is chosen. All of season one's casting decisions are made already except for Arien and the sons of Elrond.

Back