Manwë

Not really, no, but I've only seen him in Star Wars, so that's not enough to judge his range as an actor.

I have to admit that I don't actually know any Native American actors, so I had to randomly poke around IMDb for a bit to find these suggestions. I've seen 'Smoke Signals,' but can't think of too many other films I've seen that had substantial roles for Native Americans...there must be some....and yes, imdb tells me there are: List of 26 Films with a Native American Theme

Tatanka Means - he was in Maze Runner and A Million Ways to Die in the West. He's 30; is that too young?

MV5BMTc4ODU0NDc2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDQxMDYyNjE@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

saintsandstrangers_4-006.jpg

Michael Greyeyes is 49, so perhaps that is a better age range for Manwë? He has a dance background, so he would be graceful, which seems appropriate to me for Manwë, lord of wind and sky.

MV5BMjE3NzA3ODMxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDkzMzky._V1._SX450_SY673_.jpg

img-thing

Adam Beach is 43, and has been nominated for Best Supporting Actor for 'Flags of Our Fathers' so is apparently quite good at what he does. I imagine he would be interested in the 'having a troubled relationship with his brother' aspect of the character, though in real life he aspires to be leader of his First Nation.

Adam+Beach+14th+Annual+Diversity+Awards+Gala+PMuYKv59Rtvl.jpg

3163534_ori.jpg

More suggestions available here:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls074894737?ref_=nm_rls_4

Last edited:
I'm not really convinced that the idea that Manwë has to be played by a Native American actor is necessary. A couple of the actors you posted pictures of look ok though. On the other hand, I honestly haven't seen any of them act, so I no nothing of their acting skills.

Last edited:
Well, Michael Greyeyes can shoot a bow while riding a horse elf-style ;) Also, his first English line in the Lifetime movie 'Stolen Women, Captured Hearts' is "The Clouds Are Grey." See? Perfect for Manwë :p

And here is Tatanka Means as Crazy Horse:

Adam Beach was Ira Hayes in 'Flags of Our Fathers', a film about Iwo Jima:

Last edited:
My list of possible actors still consist of Oscar Isaac and Jimmy Smits. But we also have to consider Melkor here. In some way they must be seen as brothers. I'm not saying they should look alike. But perhaps it's a good idea to have actors of roughly the same age. I want to see Michael Fassbender as Melkor. Smits is perhaps a bit too much older than Fassbender, so I'm leaning toward Isaac.

I absolutely love the idea of a Native American Manwë

Since he has such a strong conection to the wind and the eagles, it seems only right!

I understand that from an American perspective, that is a natural association. In Europe, that's not the case. Mythologically the Eagles are connected with Zeus, who is also the lord of the skies, so that would make a greek actor the most logical choice. Also, Zeus was probably Tolkien's source of inspiration for Manwë.

Mythologically the Eagles are connected with Zeus, who is also the lord of the skies, so that would make a greek actor the most logical choice. Also, Zeus was probably Tolkien's source of inspiration for Manwë.

Another aspect I had not considered, but truly necesary to point out.

There are many paralels between Greek mythology and Tolkien's works. Maedhros/Prometheus and Aredhel/Persephone, just as examples. Maybe even Finrod/Prometheus in his relationship to humans? So it would make sense to lean more towards Zeus.

I guess everything falls to the aspect of who has that all-father/alpha warrior feeling to him.

Ah, true, European mythos doesn't really include Native Americans in any way. I mean, we know Tolkien read stories about American Indians as a child, but that doesn't mean he considered that for his own mythology.

I noticed that Corey Olsen put a lot of question marks on the suggested ethnic backgrounds for the Valar - he's likely not too concerned with being fixed on one particular idea so much as getting the character right.

I think I'll have to wait with posting at least some of my nominations until I've heard the session. I took it (from a tweet by Dave) that they are looking for an older man. And perhaps a singer? Maybe I misunderstood.

Yes, Corey requested someone older (white hair -though that can be a wig). I *think* it was for Manwë that they suggested possibly balding or tonsured.

Patrick Stewart was born in 1940, so he is currently 75 years old. I agree that is probably on the upper range, as we will need Manwë to be somewhat active in this first season - in later seasons, he can mostly sit on a throne and occasionally stand up dramatically, so it's not like the actor need be in awesome shape or super athletic....but for now, let's say that they're looking for an older-but-hale-and-active gentleman.

And I agree that whoever we 'cast' will probably have a wig added anyway, so it's not a problem if the actor is bald.

It was kind of a joke, to be honest. Patrick Stewart is an absolutely amazing actor, but I'd have a hard time believing him soaring through the air as we show Manwe doing in episodes 2 and 7.

It's just funny, because his name *did* come up in the discussion of age and baldness.

Also, it should be mentioned that Manwë should not be creepily older than Varda - no May December thing with them. So, as for what the upper age limit is....the actor can't be old enough to be the father of Varda's actress, which will be a challenge if we want Manwë to be showing grandfatherly age and wisdom, and Varda to be mature and beautiful. Because we are unlikely to choose a 70-year-old actress for her....

So maybe 60 years old is what we are looking for with Manwë, and Varda can be in her 50s? And obviously some actors age incredibly well, so this might not be as much of an issue.

I nominated Daniel Day-Lewis. I think he meets the requirements well. A great actor, about the age we're looking for, and with a warm, fatherly presence.

Back