Melkor?

Right - these are inspirations for composers...we're not using existing music to score this project.

I think that Melkor's theme should be something powerful and intense, but at the same time something elegant and why not seductive... Let's not forget this is the original Dark Lord in Tolkien's universe. And it must evoque a certain darkness to it. Is "All things Melkor" the phrase I am looking for?

So the first thing that came to my all to crazy mind was this...

I know it could not possibly be that exactly, but my suggestion would be to mix the classical and some very powerful rock.

To be completely honest, I will be performing in a joke version of the Ainulindalë in a few weeks. We're going to have tin flutes, a mandolin and drum....and Melkor will interrupt with kazoo.

So, if you can work in a vuvuzela, I think you will have nailed Melkor's personality :p

I mean...they sound like angry bees....what is better at interrupting than that?

My apologies for having no useful contributions here. All I know about making music sound evil is to put it in a minor key. But I'd want something bombastic for Melkor.....
I'm sorry MithLuin, but I don't think Musescore has a vuvuzela as one of its instruments :(. I shall have to invest in some software that does.

So, I asked a musically talented friend who is as familiar with Silmarillion as I am about this, and here was one of her suggestions for 'Baroque Melkor Music':

The opening of 'A Clockwork Orange', using "Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary - March" by Henry Purcell 1659-1695 (as this is the actual opening of the film, there is voiceover about 2 min into this)

And for another Stanley Kubrick film score, Handel's Sarabande:

She also suggested this for Mairon/Sauron:
I like the Devil's Trill in the style of playing for Mairon, but I really can't see him doin' some boot scootin' while he is carrying out Aule's work.

Like this!

I mean, this is too happy, but it is certainly ridiculously pleased with itself.

For something more dramatic, the-world-hates-me, try:

For music that sounds like it should accompany an army of elephants, try Dvorak's 'From the New World':
That conductor is brilliant. Who did he get lesson's off? Bugs Bunny? :D

One thing I do know about Melkor's theme is that it needs the capacity to change form from one season to another. In season one it has to represent pride and the conviction of rightness (on Melkor's part). In season two I feel it needs to be more seductive as he spreads his lies among the Noldor. Season three would see it descend into the blare of trumpets and French horns possibly using music from the third theme in the Ainulindale. As you know I like to go to Howard Shore for this kind of thing. The Ring Theme had many different forms some more like to each other than others. The two tracks here show the same theme with only a slight variation in melody but they are in fact the same theme. I had been watching the movies for years before this was brought to my attention.
The first video "One Ring to Rule Them All" is a compilation of many of the ring themes as played in The Lord of the Rings movies. It starts with the Seduction of the ring theme sung by boy sopranos. In the Return of the King this is blared out by brass when Smeagol murders Deagol (cinematic only) losing its innocence entirely. The ring theme proper starts at 1:55

The second video "Mordor/Sauron's Theme" is the same theme (admittedly a variation) but played so differently it is almost unrecognisable. At 0:15 the theme starts proper

My son listens to lots of gaming music so I trolled his collection and found this from "The Last Story". The track "Is this the path of the Just?" has a great trumpet solo at 1:05 which is not strident and not too soft and alluring. It just says, "here I am". This may be what we need Melkor to sound like in Season 1.

I have placed here a link so you can hear the comparison between the seduction of the ring theme when sung by the boy sopranos and when it is blared out by brass. Boy Soprano at 2:54 and brass at 4:14.

I'm sorry MithLuin, but I don't think Musescore has a vuvuzela as one of its instruments :(. I shall have to invest in some software that does.

Haha, no worries - no one actually wants to hear a vuvuzela, I don't think! I think there is likely more vuvuzela-cancelling software than vuvuzela-producing software in existence ;).

To be completely honest, I will be performing in a joke version of the Ainulindalë in a few weeks. We're going to have tin flutes, a mandolin and drum....and Melkor will interrupt with kazoo.

So, if you can work in a vuvuzela, I think you will have nailed Melkor's personality :p

I mean...they sound like angry bees....what is better at interrupting than that?

My apologies for having no useful contributions here. All I know about making music sound evil is to put it in a minor key. But I'd want something bombastic for Melkor.....

I found Beethoven and a vuvuzela, in case you are interested :p

Back