Melkor's Original Function

Finrodismyboi

I think I posted this in the wrong forum originally so I'm posting it here too. Related to the Morgoth’s ring series. What was Melkor’s original intended role in Ea from Iluvatar supposed to be before he was corrupted? How would Ea have been changed if he remained loyal? Or perhaps was he created to be the enemy to create a dichotomy whereby valor goodness and all precious things could exist?
Thanks!

And i put my answer to that post here too:

"
Well, that certainly would set Illuvatar in a bad light of HE made Melkor bad...

Someone pointed out the chance of Falling in Tolkiens world seems to be higher the more gifted you are. Fëanor, Sauron and Melkor points to this. Also there seems to be a quite high percentage of Aulë followers (even Aulë himself was quite close). "

Still though what role do you think Melkor was originally intended to fulfill in the creation of arda?

The one he has, because his Fall happened before Creation. Illuvatar allowed it to happen (not MADE it happen, big difference), because in the end it will bring greater glory to his creation. By the free will of Melkor.

Melkor could have accomplished Great Things, had he chosen to follow the "proper" path. He probably could have, by himself and in concert with others, made the ultimate vision presented by the Song come to pass many eons sooner that now will take to happen.

However, he chose to go rogue, follow his own path; and in the end, Great Things will still be accomplished, but they will be accomplished in Melkor's despte rather than with his willing cooperation. We can speculate how things would have been different had Melkor remained true, but only Illuvatar knows for sure.

In the end, the choice was always his though. Eru nver forced him or predetermined him to do anything.

Manwe = Air, Ulmo = Water, Aule = Earth.

That leaves Fire to Melkor, which i find quite fitting actually.

Far too simple. THE ainur are not an elemental system based on the classic five elements, these do exist, yes, but to an extend in Nother ones realms too.

Melkors original role was , i fear, that he played.He had to fail, had to fall, and be the antagonist.

Melkor was the Vala of extremes - heat and cold, light and dark, etc. I think he was always meant to challenge the other Valar, to push the limits on what they could imagine as possible....neither Manwë nor Ulmo thought of snow before Melkor got involved. But his fall was not necessarily inevitable or the only thing that he could have chosen. His decision to focus on raw power and control (destroying what he cannot dominate) overshadowed what he could have become, leaving his contributions frustratingly unrealized (from his viewpoint).

Far too simple.

Sometimes we overcomplicate things and makes things harder than they are.

I was not refering to the elemental system, but he seems to fit in with the fire element. Passion, restlessness, desire.
And, this is the thing, the other Aratars fit very well within that idea. Only fire is missing and who could fit better in than Melkor ?
He would, after all, be one of the Aratar if he had not fallen.

But i see the argument from @MithLuin about extremes with his connection to the cold also.

His "elements" certainly are fire, cold and darkness. Fire however i also see withbAule for example, both share their connection to volcanic activity... as Melkor generally has part innevery realm of every of his siblings to a degree.

His "elements" certainly are fire, cold and darkness. Fire however i also see withbAule for example, both share their connection to volcanic activity... as Melkor generally has part innevery realm of every of his siblings to a degree.

Interesting that you mention Aulë. In all that is written in the Legendarium he is the only Vala that comes close to falling...and we know two of his Maiar that actually did fall. Am i the only one who sees a connection ? Fire seems to me to be connected with creativity and with that it seems to be easier to fall.. (Spitrit of Fire anyone?)

Back