Merry & the Function of Will (and Oaths!)

Croaker

In Tolkien's world, the "will" of certain powerful figures functions something like the oaths (or curses) of certain powerful figures. The oath of Feanor or the curse against Turin worked irrespective of Feanor or Morgoth knowing the different characters it would work on or how. The will of Saruman was against the three hunters and sped the orcs, although Saruman didn't know the hunters were hunting his orcs. The will of Sauron spurred his armies on, and was a force against all the good guys, felt even in Minas Tirith by Faramir and Eowyn, until the Ring and Sauron were destroyed and the shadow lifted.

The will of Sauron is like a shadow and at a distance was strongest at night, especially on one alone.

Perhaps it was the will of Sauron that drew Merry to the Ringwraith. The will of Sauron was bent towards finding the Ring. He didn't know of Merry or the specific location of his Ringwraith in Bree, but at night and all alone, it shaped Merry's action, like a powerful magnet attracts iron filaments.

The will of Sauron faltered in the Shire, but not in Bree.

Anyway, it's a theory. Thoughts?

I like the idea of Sauron's will being like a magnet

*** being channelled through the Nazgul as it relates to Merry

I wonder if Merry's experience in the Barrow and his 'dream,' 'encounter,' or 'possession,' can explain his behavior in Bree (and his later ability to face the Witch King in Gondor) not as a dark compulsion, but a compulsion nonetheless.

The discussion focused on Merry's experience with the Shadow World as a factor in the pull of Sauron/Mordor but I wonder, if instead, Merry had a bit of the Last Prince of Cardolan rub off on him? Perhaps the Prince bestowed a bit of a Revenge Quest on him, transforming him into M B-buck, Wraith Hunter?

Back