Miscellanous Silm Film art

Kathrin

Hi everyone it's been a while *waves* I've had quite a bit to do and vanished for a bit, and then the whole pandemic didn't exactly make it much better. Anyway I've got a bit of time again and I'm catching up on the podcast, fun times. Also I've finally finished the thuringwethil thingie i'd sketched up end of last season. I'm also gonna do a Tevildo thing soon, I think. But that stuff isn't very à jour anymore and I've no idea where to post it anyway, so I'll just post SilmFilm art here if I don't know where else.

So first up, Thuringwethil probably flying back to report to Morgoth or Sauron, but no clue where or when this is exactly.

thuringwethil 1.jpeg

thuringwethil 2.jpeg

thuringwethil 3 komp.jpg

Attachments

Alcarlótë

The first two look pretty scary, and I like her cloak in the last one (it'll be important later, after all)! The bat-like nose clearly shows the connection between her two preferred appearances. From time to time, I already think about what we can do with Thuringwethil this season (and how that relates to her actions and death next season, since Tolkien doesn't tell us how she died at the Isle of Werewolves), and for scenes where she's actually in her "standard" humanoid or bat forms, and not shapeshifted into something else, it's important for the imagination to have some image that helps you mentally visualize the scene you're thinking about :)

Rhiannon

Hi everyone it's been a while *waves* I've had quite a bit to do and vanished for a bit, and then the whole pandemic didn't exactly make it much better. Anyway I've got a bit of time again and I'm catching up on the podcast, fun times. Also I've finally finished the thuringwethil thingie i'd sketched up end of last season. I'm also gonna do a Tevildo thing soon, I think. But that stuff isn't very à jour anymore and I've no idea where to post it anyway, so I'll just post SilmFilm art here if I don't know where else.

So first up, Thuringwethil probably flying back to report to Morgoth or Sauron, but no clue where or when this is exactly.

View attachment 3066

View attachment 3067

View attachment 3068
These are fantastic!!! I love the pattern on her wings and how it still appears very subtly on her cloak after she transforms, and the glowing eyes in the first two pictures are super creepy! I also really like what you've done with the backgrounds and the overall texture of all three paintings. Thuringwethil really blends in with the night.

Kathrin

Thank you :) For her humanoid look I went some into the same direction as your painting of her from last season. I liked the idea of her in some way just inherently being a bat, and when she transforms into a human or an elf you might still see very subtle references to those features, but her main humanoid form is overtly not 'standard human', but also not full-on "monster". She might be a bit torn between affiliating with the Valar and Maiar that mostly run around as people and all the more animalistic/nature-bound spirits.

I'm still not a 100% clear on her cloak though. It obviously has some form of power invested in it, but if it's taken away from her, does it harm her/rob her of that power? Is it a thing that she had to aquire/make in order to achieve human form, to bring the two forms together? I mean we don't have to have a clear "lore of the cloak", or Thuringwethil's life story, it can have some mystery. I'm just interested.

Last edited: