Morgoth´s Helmet

Haerangil

index.php

A few Sketches / rough Ideas for Morgoth´s Crown/Helmet...

The Execs wanted the three Thorns of his crown on which the Silms are attacked to resemble the three Peaks of Thangorodrim, so I took some sketches from Tolkien´s works which depicted Helmets and crowns and Thangorodrim and played around with it...

In the Ende I preferred to go into a vaguely egyptian direction, but added cheek guards like from acorianthian helmet. It´s kind of tough to draw a high helmet that doesn#t look stupid and oversized..they might look like a fool´s cap.

Edit:
when I drew these i had forgotten that Bre had done some pics of Melkor... I´ll try to incorporate more from her design soon.

four in the upper left are Bre´s designs, which i tried to incorporate on the other three tries.

index.php

A few Sketches / rough Ideas for Morgoth´s Crown/Helmet...

The Execs wanted the three Thorns of his crown on which the Silms are attacked to resemble the three Peaks of Thangorodrim, so I took some sketches from Tolkien´s works which depicted Helmets and crowns and Thangorodrim and played around with it...

In the Ende I preferred to go into a vaguely egyptian direction, but added cheek guards like from acorianthian helmet. It´s kind of tough to draw a high helmet that doesn#t look stupid and oversized..they might look like a fool´s cap.

Edit:
when I drew these i had forgotten that Bre had done some pics of Melkor... I´ll try to incorporate more from her design soon.
The one with a 5 below it looks like depictions of the Dragon-helm of Dor-Lomin.

Because it is. But i found little of it useful for a design of morgoths crown...

The numenorean or gondorian crown (2&3)worked better, because the helmet is higher, it has a vaguely egyptian base.

index.php

Melkor... a bit less Sword& sorcery more priest-king style...
still he does wear armour, but the same very fine scale/splint as Gothmog does... possibly much similar to what we know Ulmo wore and the Ainur possibly all knew...

but over it he does wear fine clothes, like Gothmog I thought i´d look a bit for renaissance and slavic Lords for inspiration...

some vague ideas for patterns in angmarean fashion, a three-Peaks of Thangorodrim motif, an ice-crystal meets flame-pattern motif...
his light-eating shadow-toga worn around the hips as he doesn#t need it at the moment and he doesn#t want to hide now.

I notice that he probably should wear the remains of Angainor as an iron collar and maybe bracelets... forgot about that!

I know I’m extremely late to the game (still catching up on the SilmFilm project), but here’s a model of a version of the iron crown:

upload_2019-1-2_11-58-7.png upload_2019-1-2_11-58-43.png

Link to the model: https://sketchfab.com/models/19c57063338048749a76ad705c93ae2f

I was going for something that militaristic in look but functionally useless and less “sword-and-sorcery-dark-lord-with-spiky-things,” but I’m not entirely happy with it. I want to do a couple based on Bre’s designs, too.

well i like it..
Thanks! Though I need to fiddle with it some more. I’m not sure about the shape of the silmarils. I haven’t been through the whole forum, but is there a place where people decided what shape they are, or whether or not they’re faceted?

Back