Morwen

Ange1e4e5

Morwen Eledhwen (443 F.A.-approx. 500 F.A.) is the daughter of Baragund of the House of Bëor. A teenager at the Dagor Bragollach she eventually makes it to Dor-Lómin where she marries Húrin, the young lord of the House of Hador, with whom she bore three children: Túrin, Urwen (named Lalaith) and Nienor. Húrin is captured after the Nirnaeth Arnoediad and Dór-Lomin is invaded so Morwen decides to have Túrin sent to Doriath for his own safety, but does not go herself as she is pregnant and her own pride keeps her from humbling herself to a guest, not even that of a King. For 20 years Morwen and Nienor dwell in their home the Easterlings forestalled by their fear of Morwen and of her dealings with the Elves. They eventually leave for Doriath but Túrin has been gone for 10 years, now living under the name Agarwaen/Mormegil/Thurin in Nargothrond. After the fall of Nargothrond Morwen and Nienor go to find Túrin, if at the least to bury him, but are waylaid by Glaurung, causing Morwen to be lost in the woods. Four years later, Húrin, who was released by Morgoth after Túrin and Nienor took their own lives, finds Morwen at Túrin's gravestone overlooking Cabed Naeramarth. She dies that night and Húrin buries her at the same spot.

Morwen has the Bëorian looks, primarily her dark hair, but also has a pair of bright eyes. Described as tall and her children Túrin and Nienor inherited her height; the latter was initially mistaken for an Elf when Morwen journeyed to Nargothrond to find Túrin. Túrin in particular greatly resembles her in looks and in manner, though he also possesses a quick temper which his mother shows less of.

For SilmFilm, this will likely be a two-person cast role, one for a younger Morwen where she appears as a young woman during Beren and Lúthien to the first half of The Children of Húrin and an older woman in the second half after the move to Doriath up to her death.

Jennifer Lawrence
Height: 5'9"
Roles: Ree Dolly in Winter's Bone, Raven Darkholme/Mystique in X-Men, Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games, Tiffany Maxwell in Silver Linings Playbook
While not particularly imperious, Lawrence was able to bring a certain amount of gravitas to her roles as Katniss and Tiffany, particularly in the latter case where she played a character who was meant to be at least a decade her senior (the role was originally written for Anne Hathaway).
Jennifer-lawrence-attrici-provini-katniss-hunger-games-20220324.jpg

Elizabeth McGovern
Height: 5'8"
Roles: Jeannine in Ordinary People, Deborah in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Lady Marguerite Blankeney in The Scarlet Pimpernel, Lady Cora Crawley in Downton Abbey
I'm primarily familiar with McGovern through Downton Abbey, but her Cora frequently shows nerves of steel (a good example of this is when she sacks a nanny for bullying her granddaughter Sybbie without raising her voice) and isn't above being cheeky. She's also a singer-songwriter as the frontman for the band Sadie and the Hotheads.
As Deborah
0cb4f657572eca71a398f0e3d873de60.jpg
As Cora
GGTwf9TaBvjQTVvKcaAqc3.jpg

Last edited:
My nomination for the role of Morwen is Emma Mackey.

1713198586056.png

Height: 5'9"
Roles: Maeve Wiley in Sex Education, Jacqueline de Bellefort in Death on the Nile, Emily Bronte in Emily, Physicist Barbie in Barbie.

She's mostly known for being in the Netflix Series, Sex Education, where she plays a pretty stoic and gloomy character, which I imagine would be pretty similar to what a younger Morwen would be like. She also had a pretty major role in Death on the Nile where she's acting against Kenneth Branagh and absolutely steals the show. She has the Beorian look and is on the taller side at 5'9".

Here's a clip of her in Sex Education.

Last edited:
I was trying to think of young actresses with a very 'steel-like' carriage... people who know how to show that a character is holding a lot in. I think that would be the right direction for Morwen.

...and then I remembered Kristina Tonteri-Young. She's in Warrior Nun and Outside the Wire. She was born in Finland, also has a New Zealand background, grew up in New York City, and studied in London (acting) and Russia (ballet). The dance background translates well to fight choreography for her. Age 26 (born Jan. '98)

1713235757169.png

But more importantly...she's a fan of the Silmarillion and makes her own elf costumes! Here's her Instagram:
1713236067619.png

Here's her Curufin:
1713236199772.png1713236274209.png

and Maglor....
1713236347382.png

Also Oropher:
1713236529464.png
And Thranduil!
1713236399799.png1713236449134.png

We have GOT to find her a role in Silm Film!

Attachments

• 1713236443500.png
    1713236443500.png
    582 KB · Views: 0
I LOVE the costumes. But not sure she is right for Morwen. Features are a bit soft, I think. Actually the actress playing Mariko in Shogun (if you've been watching that) - Anna Sawai - is killing it for 'holding it in' acting. She's a Kiwi (NZ-er) but Japanese ethnicity. Shame we didn't make the Beörings Japanese! And I think she is SO beautiful!

She looks like a great choice. Could really pull off the very strict attitude Morwen takes to young Túrin (telling him not to cry etc). Certainly fits my mental image of a Bëorian, though I haven't reviewed the SilmFilm casting for that family.

(Hmm, has anyone made a family tree of the Mannish characters with their cast actors' pictures? Or the house of Finwë?)

Back