Music of the bad guys and monsters

Ren

Since we are going to introduce some new bad guys and monsters in Melkors and Mairons service in Season 2, I think they deserve a tune of their own. Unfortunately, I'm not capable of doing compositions on my own. So I copy an example from the web, which could inspire others like Philip to come up with something fresh ;)

Drauglin's motif:

I like that...suitably gloomy!

If I recall correctly, Corey Olsen has requested evil French horns at some point.

French horns? How about that?

The title is "Fighting Evil". I guess the french horn represents evil.

Warning: This has nothing to do with the Silmarillion
Have you see Danny Kaye in "The Secret life of Walter Mitty?" He has a musical scene in which the words "evil french horn" are relevant.

I say something close to Night on Bald Mountain for Morgoth. They're both the equivalent of Satan in their universes.

It took me some time to understand what you mean. As I didn't know Fantasia, I first thought you are actually sitting on Bald Mountain in Idaho and it's getting night ! :)

Then I found it:

Of course Torn Apart is great:

By the way there are already plenty of suggestions for Melkor from Season 1:
http://forums.signumuniversity.org/index.php?threads/melkor.224/

And of course Phillips great Version of Melkor the Deceiver:
http://forums.signumuniversity.org/index.php?threads/music-uploaded-to-youtube-for-season-2.315/

Last edited:
Rather than introducing new themes for each of the bad guys, we could use say Mairon's theme and associate each of his allies with a different instrument. That way the audience knows they are all working towards the same ends and are allied in intent, but there is still a difference through the instrument choice. I will give it a go and see what I come up with, not forgetting the evil french horns.

Thanks for the inspiration Ren. I have just uploaded a variation of the Mairon theme called "Mairon and his Posse" to youtube and created a new motif for this group of bad guys in the process.

Reactions: Ren
It is sometimes used to remind of a Carnxy... we already heard the carnyx didn't we? It's pure hell!

Funny, apart from the Wolf in Peter and the Wolf, I’ve never truly associated the French horns with evil. As far as associating characters with instruments, look at the Lord of the Rings; the Hobbits are associated with more rustic elements: violins in the higher register, recorder and flute. The villains are associated with trumpets and trombones, accompanied by clangs to evoke industry. Elves are represented with vocalizations, and Men with sweeping brass regardless of and sometimes a fiddle if you’re from Rohan.

In the books villains are associated with horns, drums, gongs, trumpet,rattle... and whip if you count it as an instrument.I am still sure that pipe-organs are deeply evil too...

You could try using a horn as an instrument of torture, as Ramsay Snow does in Game of Thrones. I won't post the video.

Last edited:
Back