My arguments about Elladan and Elrohir

Jedi Master Tessa

So here’s my entire analysis of Elladan and Elrohir’s trip, since it’s hard to say everything on the chat, and also here I don’t have to stress out about being “washed downstream” like you do on Discord.

I’ve thought lot about this, and I am absolutely positive that they were NOT headed to Lothlórien, or at least not ONLY Lothlórien. First of all, looking at the maps, northern Mirkwood and Tharbad are almost as far away as Lórien, and scouts went there. Others went across other mountain passes to look for Radagast on the western side of Mirkwood and returned via the “Redhorn Gate”. (Or another edition says the Dimrill Stair? Or according to my mom’s typo-laden unauthorized American version, Cimrill Stair. But it’s Caradhras regardless.) Basically, lots of people crossed the mountains and made long journeys, but Elladan and Elrohir still returned last.

Second, we know that both the Fellowship and the party who accompanied Arwen to her wedding took approximately a month to get to Lothlórien, and it took the twins just under eight weeks (less than two months) to get to their destination and back. But the Fellowship weren’t normal travelers, only walking at night, and the wedding party probably wasn’t moving quickly. Elladan and Elrohir would be extremely familiar with that journey, going as fast as possible, and presumably riding on horseback (unless they were doing a dry run? More on that later). I can’t believe they’d travel at the same speed as the Fellowship, so they must have gone much farther away than Lórien.

But there’s more. Haldir says that they heard of the Fellowship, “for the messengers of Elrond passed by Lórien on their way home up the Dimrill Stair” (Caradhras). So the scouts who brought messages to Lothlórien are implied to be the ones who went looking for Radagast, NOT Elladan and Elrohir. Plus, if someone can just drop by Lothlórien on their way home, it’s not all that long a journey to get there.

I did like the idea that they were doing a dry run, maybe down to the edge or Rohan or even Gondor. They would have talked to Galadriel on the way there and either they or someone else talked to the marchwardens on the way back. (It seems to me that Haldir would have called them something other than “scouts” if it was them, but elves are weird like that.) Also, Tolkien could have thought up this “great journey” without knowing anything about Lothlorien. Was it mentioned in the first drafts, before Elrohir and Elladan existed? Were there maybe other scouts assigned to it originally?

The other suggestion from someone (I don’t remember who) was that they were doing serious scouting on the way, so they weren’t going fast at all. But I don’t understand why that would be called a “great journey” unless Frodo is misinformed or making assumptions.

I wonder why they would only speak to Elrond though. Gandalf and Aragorn both seem aware of the path they’re planning to take, and they’re also the two most likely sources of information or Frodo about what Elladan and Elrohir were doing, so “they would only talk to Elrond” might have come from them. Why weren’t the twins talking to them? If it was just personal family stuff, why would they make the Fellowship wait for them to get home before leaving? If it wasn’t, wouldn’t other people need the information they brought back?

Honestly, I don’t think we can find the correct answer, only the most logical one. There isn’t enough information. I wonder how much Tolkien had figured out himself.

Good questions Jed Master Tessa,

Here's my take on them:

The sons of Elrond were gone for about 7 weeks. Maybe a few days less, as they might have returned to Rivendell a day or two before Elrond summoned the Hobbits. So let's say about 48 days.

It should take less than 20 days or so to get from Rivendell to Lothlorien. It is about 280 miles. So, to cover it in 20 days would imply an average speed of only 14 miles a day, which is slow. However, If we take into account that all search parties went slow when leaving Rivendell, in order to scout for signs of Nazgul or of spies, and, that part of the journey would have been over the Redhorn pass, which is likely to be slow by nature of the terrain, let's say that 20 days on the way to Lothlorien, and faster coming back, say 16 days, might be reasonable? (Don't think they rode horses for most of the way. Doubt horses could cross the Redhorn pass?) So, that's about 36 days travel time.

Now, it is pretty clear that they went to Lothlorien. 'Passing down the Silverlode into a strange country', can hardly have any other meaning.

So, if it took them about 36 days travel time, but they were gone about 48 days, what were they doing for the other circa 12 days? Well, they must have spent at least a few days in Lothlorien to brief Celeborn and Galadriel about the Council. They might have scouted further than Lothlorien, but what could they have scouted in 5 days out from Lothlorien and 5 days back?

I think the answer to what the sons of Elrond were doing lies in the mysterious comment, "but of their errand they would not speak to any save to Elrond". What could this errand have been?

My supposition is that Elrond tasked them to assess whether it was safe for the Ring to pass through Lothlorien, or whether Galadriel was likely to sieze it for her own? We know she was tempted, even when the Company did reach her. An assessment such as this would have been quite delicate for the sons of Elrond. It could well have required a stay of 12 days in Lothlorien before they could figure out a definitive answer. Of course, they would not discuss this with any but Elrond.

So, I don't think that the sons went any farther than Lothlorien. The length of their journey was due to the requirement to go slow and scout thouroughly on the outward trip, and especially, on the requirement to carefully assess what sort of threat Galadriel might pose.

Last edited:
Good questions Jed Master Tessa,

Here's my take on them:

The sons of Elrond were gone for about 7 weeks. Maybe a few days less, as they might have returned to Rivendell a day or two before Elrond summoned the Hobbits. So let's say about 48 days.

It should take less than 20 days or so to get from Rivendell to Lothlorien. It is about 280 miles. So, to cover it in 20 days would imply an average speed of only 14 miles a day, which is slow. However, If we take into account that all search parties went slow when leaving Rivendell, in order to scout for signs of Nazgul or of spies, and, that part of the journey would have been over the Redhorn pass, which is likely to be slow by nature of the terrain, let's say that 20 days on the way to Lothlorien, and faster coming back, say 16 days, might be reasonable? (Don't think they rode horses for most of the way. Doubt horses could cross the Redhorn pass?) So, that's about 36 days travel time.

Now, it is pretty clear that they went to Lothlorien. 'Passing down the Silverlode into a strange country', can hardly have any other meaning.

So, if it took them about 36 days travel time, but they were gone about 48 days, what were they doing for the other circa 12 days? Well, they must have spent at least a few days in Lothlorien to brief Celeborn and Galadriel about the Council. They might have scouted further than Lothlorien, but what could they have scouted in 5 days out from Lothlorien and 5 days back?

I think the answer to what the sons of Elrond were doing lies in the mysterious comment, "but of their errand they would not speak to any save to Elrond". What could this errand have been?

My supposition is that Elrond tasked them to assess whether it was safe for the Ring to pass through Lothlorien, or whether Galadriel was likely to sieze it for her own? We know she was tempted, even when the Company did reach her. An assessment such as this would have been quite delicate for the sons of Elrond. It could well have required a stay of 12 days in Lothlorien before they could figure out a definitive answer. Of course, they would not discuss this with any but Elrond.

So, I don't think that the sons went any farther than Lothlorien. The length of their journey was due to the requirement to go slow and scout thouroughly on the outward trip, and especially, on the requirement to carefully assess what sort of threat Galadriel might pose.
Convincing.

Interesting speculation Flammifer. I have felt that a "strange country" couldn't have been Lorien - why wouldn't they have simply said they went to Lorien? It hasn't really made sense to me. Personally I think it's because they were a late addition to the text, there wasn't much left for them, or much for them to report more openly without serious changes to the rest of the text. But that's looking from outside. I haven't come up with a satisfactory inside-the-story explanation. Although we don't get any of what the scouts report, do we? How could they figure out what Galadriel would do? Galadriel herself doesn't know what she will do. Perhaps Elrond might have, but his sons, of whom most of what we know is their errantry? I'm far from convinced. Also, Galadriel and Celeborn know who the members of the fellowship are - they could only have gotten this after all the scouts had returned and the members were chosen - so was all their news from later than the scouts' return?

There are problems no matter how you look at it.

Also, Tolkien could have thought up this “great journey” without knowing anything about Lothlorien. Was it mentioned in the first drafts, before Elrohir and Elladan existed? Were there maybe other scouts assigned to it originally?

Galdriel didn't exist until they got to Lorien, and went through several changes in the process (one was that she was Elrond's wife). I'm not sure about Elrohir and Elladan, but Galadriel existed long before Arwen. I know that in the drafts given in The Treason of Isengard they are not even listed in the index. They do appear under Elrond (sons of), but that reference is only to a place in the text that points out that there is no mention of them departing with Aragorn or anyone else when the scouts go out; so they came in later than that.

Interesting speculation Flammifer. I have felt that a "strange country" couldn't have been Lorien - why wouldn't they have simply said they went to Lorien? It hasn't really made sense to me. Personally I think it's because they were a late addition to the text, there wasn't much left for them, or much for them to report more openly without serious changes to the rest of the text. But that's looking from outside. I haven't come up with a satisfactory inside-the-story explanation. Although we don't get any of what the scouts report, do we? How could they figure out what Galadriel would do? Galadriel herself doesn't know what she will do. Perhaps Elrond might have, but his sons, of whom most of what we know is their errantry? I'm far from convinced. Also, Galadriel and Celeborn know who the members of the fellowship are - they could only have gotten this after all the scouts had returned and the members were chosen - so was all their news from later than the scouts' return?

I do not think there is any country that is more "strange" than Lorien considering how the Rohirrim or Gondorians - represented by Boromir - treat it. If it was Bilbo who wrote this part, this would be how he would have described it, as he has never been there himself.

Odola, that's stretching it a bit. Bilbo would not be writing this, and even if he had, Frodo would have gone over it, and Lorien would have been called Lorien, even if Bilbo hadn't - and by then he's already heard about it from Frodo and the others. Lorien would have been called Lorien. Would they have gone to the east bank of the Anduin?

Odola, that's stretching it a bit. Bilbo would not be writing this, and even if he had, Frodo would have gone over it, and Lorien would have been called Lorien, even if Bilbo hadn't - and by then he's already heard about it from Frodo and the others. Lorien would have been called Lorien. Would they have gone to the east bank of the Anduin?

To the east of Anduin there is only Mirkwood and Brown Lands, Emyn Muil and Dead Marches. No "stange country" there.
Bilbo was too old (as the ring was gone) to write after Frodo's return, they actually talked about that explicitly, imho Bilbo wrote this part before the Fellowship departed, when the scounts were actually coming in. I think Frodo would not change much in his uncle's actual writing out of sentiment.

Hi Rachel,

What other 'strange country' could the sons of Elrond have reached going down the Silverlode in the available time? I suppose Fanghorn is the only other possibility. But what might they have been doing in Fanghorn? There is no hint when we meet Treebeard that they were ever there,

What could the errand have been 'of which they would not speak to any save Elrond''? Assessing how safe Galadriel was in the vicinity of the Ring is the errand that springs to mind.

Let's say that Elrond and Gandalf were thinking about alternative routes. They did not want to go through the Gap of Rohan, due to Saruman. They could go over the Misty Mountains by one of the more northern passes and down the vale of the Anduin but that passes close to Lothlorien or close to Dol Guldur, and the scouts brought back reports of wolves ranging far up the Anduin. They could go over the Redhorn Pass, but that would take them either into or very close to Lothlorien. They could go to the Havens, and thence south by sea, but Elrond seems to have already dismissed that option (not sure why).

Gandalf and Elrond must consider Galadriel a potential danger. She is a rebel Noldor. She went from the Blessed Realm to Middle Earth seeking a realm of her own. She already holds dominion over a realm. That realm is threatened, and she would surely seek to defend it. She would be able to wield the Ring immediately, as she has already trained her will to the domination of others. She would be tempted. Elrond knows his mother-in-law quite well. How safe would it be to send the Ring through or near Lothlorien?

How could the sons of Elrond have figured out what Galadriel might do with the Ring within her grasp? I guess they would have figured it out gradually and carefully. First they would have reported on the Council of Elrond, with particular emphasis on the statement, "The very desire of it corrupts the heart. Consider Saruman. If any of the Wise should with this Ring overthrow the Lord of Mordor, using his own arts, he would then set himself on Sauron's throne, and yet another Dark Lord would appear." They would watch Galadriel's reaction, questions, comments, very carefully. Did she think sending the Ring to the Fire was the best plan? What did she think of Boromir's suggestion? Then, they would wait a few days to see what Galadriel's attitude appeared to be after consideration. They would probably sound her out on routes from Rivendell to Mordor, looking to see how eager she appeared to have the Ring pass through Lorien. Assuming that they were getting the impression that Galadriel was on-board with the plan, I think eventually they would ask her outright. "Grandma, what do you think? Would it be safe for you if the Ring was sent through Lothlorien? Do you think it could snare you somehow?"

Galadriel tells Frodo that she has been tempted by the Ring. "I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired to ask what you offer. For many long years I had pondered what I might do, should the Great Ring come into my hands, and behold! it was brought within my grasp.... Would not that have been a noble deed to set to the credit of his Ring, if I had taken it by force or fear from my guest?" The phrase 'I had pondered', rather than 'I have pondered' leads me to think that Galadriel has committed to Ellodan and Elrohir that she will not take the Ring should it pass through Lothlorien, and this is reported by the sons to Elrond, which determines the route. What Galadriel finds totally unexpected is that Frodo offers to give her the Ring. That is a new temptation! (Or is it altogether new? She has clearly thought of asking Frodo for it.)

Galadriel and Celeborn know who the members of the Company are because they have had a report from Haldir via Orophin. However, they do seem to know that "Nine were to set out: so said the messages." So, Elrond must have already planned on a Company of Nine when he briefed the scouts.

I don't see many problems with this interpretation?

Last edited:
To the east of Anduin there is only Mirkwood and Brown Lands, Emyn Muil and Dead Marches. No "stange country" there.

Um.. aren't these all strange countries? Pretty much everything along both banks of the Anduin is strange country i think...

Um.. aren't these all strange countries? Pretty much everything along both banks of the Anduin is strange country i think...

Beyond is Mirkwood which Bilbo knows already, the others are wastelands, not real countries.

Last edited:
Determining what Galadriel is likely to do is DEFINITELY private information that's involved in decision-making. Though I have trouble believing Elrond keeps anything from Gandalf.

In terms of what they said about the company, I thought Haldir mentioned Galadriel getting more recent messages than him? So either (A) Haldir got basic information from other scouts but only the sons of Elrond knew anything about who would be sent, and they didn't talk to the marchwardens (which I've already suggested) or (B) Elrond sent Galadriel messages through other means, such as birds, after the company was chosen.

Haldir said, "It seems that the Lady knows who and what is each member of your Company. New messages have come from Rivendell perhaps."

There is another possible explanation, however, which Haldir does not seem to recognize. Some time during the night when the Company was in the flets on the borders of Lorien, Orophin went, "in haste back to our dwellings to warn our people." Orophin, of course knows the composition of the Company, because he has met them all.

When Haldir says that the Lady knows who and what is each member of the Company, it is one and a half days (or slightly more) since Orophin departed. He obviously got through (hence the Elvish defeat of the marauding orcs and the Elvish marching host, heading to defend the northern borders.) It seems far more likely that Galadriel learned of the composition of the Company from Orophir (or messages sped on from Orophir) than from new messages from Rivendell.

Strange that Haldir should jump to the thought of new messages from Rivendell, rather than the more obvious explanation?

Beyond Mirkwood which Bilbo knows already, the others are wastelands, not real countries.

Wasteland is strange country. The word has several meanings, and does not necessarily mean settled nations. It can be used to mean "lands," and these lands are strange because they are not settled nations.

Haldir said, "It seems that the Lady knows who and what is each member of your Company. New messages have come from Rivendell perhaps."

There is another possible explanation, however, which Haldir does not seem to recognize. Some time during the night when the Company was in the flets on the borders of Lorien, Orophin went, "in haste back to our dwellings to warn our people." Orophin, of course knows the composition of the Company, because he has met them all.

Orophin goes to warn the people of the danger of the orcs' movements and all the action between Moria and Lorien. He would have known the number, but not the names of the Company. There is no indication that he spoke directly to Celeborn and Galadriel about the visitors. He certainly is not warning the people about the Company.

From earlier drafts, in The Treason of Isengard. The first is Hathildir.

"We have heard of your coming, for the messengers of Elrond passed through Lothlorien on their way home by the Dimrill Stair."

This sounds more like the scouts who crossed the mountains further north but came south to cross back over the Redhorn Gate.

From the fair copy:

In Keleborn's opening words to the Company, he says here: 'Your number should be nine, for so said the messages. Can we have mistaken them? They were faint and hard to read, for Elrond is far away, and darkness gathers between us: even in this year it has grown deeper.'

This implies that the messages were sent telepathically direct from Elrond, and because it is the fair copy, it comes later than the earlier form, in which "secret messages" is the wording: "for so the secret messages from Rivendell have said."

Wasteland is strange country. The word has several meanings, and does not necessarily mean settled nations. It can be used to mean "lands," and these lands are strange because they are not settled nations.

Orophin goes to warn the people of the danger of the orcs' movements and all the action between Moria and Lorien. He would have known the number, but not the names of the Company. There is no indication that he spoke directly to Celeborn and Galadriel about the visitors. He certainly is not warning the people about the Company.

From earlier drafts, in The Treason of Isengard. The first is Hathildir.

"We have heard of your coming, for the messengers of Elrond passed through Lothlorien on their way home by the Dimrill Stair."

This sounds more like the scouts who crossed the mountains further north but came south to cross back over the Redhorn Gate.

From the fair copy:

In Keleborn's opening words to the Company, he says here: 'Your number should be nine, for so said the messages. Can we have mistaken them? They were faint and hard to read, for Elrond is far away, and darkness gathers between us: even in this year it has grown deeper.'

This implies that the messages were sent telepathically direct from Elrond, and because it is the fair copy, it comes later than the earlier form, in which "secret messages" is the wording: "for so the secret messages from Rivendell have said."

Yes, Orophin warns people about the orcs, but other fast messengers could have carried all his news to Galadriel. It is obvious that the message that the Company had entered Lorien reached Galadriel, because she sent word back, via the marching host of Elves, that all the Company are to walk free, even Gimli. So Orophin himself may not have spoken directly to Celeborn and Galadriel, but his report of the Company did reach them.

There is no evidence in the text that Orophin knew the names of the Company. However, can you imagine Hobbits or Dwarves meeting strange Elves and not introducing themselves? "Gimli, son of Gloin, at your service," would be a requirement of Dwarvish etiquette, especially since Haldir introduced himself and Rumil and Orophin. Hobbit custom would have been equally insistant. It is not surprising that an author (Frodo or JRRT) would have left these introductions out, as being somewhat redundant for the readers.

Both the scouts who had crossed the Misty Mountains by the Gladden Fields, and the sons of Elrond, seem to have returned home via the Dimrill Stair. Both could have 'passed through' Lothlorien.

Previous drafts (and subsequent thoughts) are of little import in interpreting TLOTR. JRRT revised frequently, thoroughly, and continuously. We have to interpret TLOTR based on TLOTR.

Flammifer, if the sons of Elrond came to deliver messages from the Council and Elrond, not to mention spending long enough to evaluate Galadriel's mind regarding the Ring, that hardly would have been described as "passing through" on their way home. And in LOTR itself that line makes it less likely, not more, that this was the sons of Elrond come to visit:

We have heard rumours of your coming, for the messengers of Elrond passed by Lorien on their way home up the Dimrill Stair.

which doesn't seem like they entered Lorien at all, let alone met with Galadriel and Celeborn.

Orophin hasn't met all the Company, so he can't have been introduced. Only Frodo and Legolas, tailed by the uninvited Sam, go up to talk to the elves, and it's not a social call, but a chance to plead their cause to be there at all. Legolas names Aragorn as a point in their favor, but not the others. The whole Company is not together again until the next morning. The elves may already have had Frodo's name as well as his errand in a general way. And later, only the other hobbits come to sleep there, while the others (including Legolas) go to sleep in another flet. One unnamed elf stays with them at first but later in the night, when Frodo wakes he has gone, and it's Haldir who comes up and tells Frodo what has been happening. It also is not clear that Orophin went to warn the people of the city right away - he might have gone to warn the people living closer to the direction the orcs are travelling first. It is only the next day when they move on with Haldir and Rumil that there is even a chance for introductions, and again, the atmosphere is hardly social. The elves are still guarded, until they meet the party heading north.

Charming as your picture is, it's not likely.

Flammifer, if the sons of Elrond came to deliver messages from the Council and Elrond, not to mention spending long enough to evaluate Galadriel's mind regarding the Ring, that hardly would have been described as "passing through" on their way home. And in LOTR itself that line makes it less likely, not more, that this was the sons of Elrond come to visit:

We have heard rumours of your coming, for the messengers of Elrond passed by Lorien on their way home up the Dimrill Stair.

which doesn't seem like they entered Lorien at all, let alone met with Galadriel and Celeborn.

Orophin hasn't met all the Company, so he can't have been introduced. Only Frodo and Legolas, tailed by the uninvited Sam, go up to talk to the elves, and it's not a social call, but a chance to plead their cause to be there at all. Legolas names Aragorn as a point in their favor, but not the others. The whole Company is not together again until the next morning. The elves may already have had Frodo's name as well as his errand in a general way. And later, only the other hobbits come to sleep there, while the others (including Legolas) go to sleep in another flet. One unnamed elf stays with them at first but later in the night, when Frodo wakes he has gone, and it's Haldir who comes up and tells Frodo what has been happening. It also is not clear that Orophin went to warn the people of the city right away - he might have gone to warn the people living closer to the direction the orcs are travelling first. It is only the next day when they move on with Haldir and Rumil that there is even a chance for introductions, and again, the atmosphere is hardly social. The elves are still guarded, until they meet the party heading north.

Charming as your picture is, it's not likely.

Rachel,

Think this through logically.

1. Galadriel knows that the Company has entered Lothlorien. We know this because she sends instructions with the marching Elves that they are to walk freely.

2. Galadriel cannot know that the Company has entered Lothlorien via messengers from Rivendell. Because Rivendell has no way of knowing when the Company might enter Lothlorien. She can only know this via either magic, or via message conveyed (at least at first) by Orophin. If Haldir could communicate directly with Galadriel, he would not have needed to send Orophin to spread the alarm about the Orcs.

3. Therefore, the message via Orophin must be the means (unless magic -for which there is no evidence) by which Galadriel learns that the Company has entered Lothlorien. (And if Galadriel can learn magically when strangers enter Lothlorien, then why does Orophin need to go spread the Orc alarm?)

4. As Galadriel learns that the Company has entered Lothlorien via message from Orophin, then, the logical supposition is that she has also learned the names and numbers of the Company from Orophin. It is the most logical explanation (though there is no evidence that Orophin learned all their names, but then there also is no evidence that the names of the company came to Galadriel via Rivendell).

If it walks like a duck. Flies like a duck. Quacks like a duck. It probably is a duck!

'Also,' said Haldir, 'they bring me a message from the Lord and Lady of the Galadhrim. You are all to walk free, even the dwarf Gimli. It seems that the Lady knows who and what is each member of your Company. New messages have come from Rivendell perhaps.'

Galadriel's source is unknown to Haldir, who sent Orophin on his errand to warn the people about the orcs who entered on the north border. Therefore he could not have sent that information with Orophin. I don't think your assumptions make more sense than Haldir's.

Galadriel's source being unknown to Haldir is indeed mysterious. It must be Orophin's message which told Galadriel that the Company was in Lorien. So that she could send a message via the marching Elves. (The only other explanation would be magic.)

If Orophin's message was Galadriel's source for knowing the arrival of the Company, then it is the most likely source for knowing the composition of the Company. True, there is no evidence to be sure of this, but equally, there is no evidence that Rivendell sent another message to Galadriel withc details of the Company's composition. Could they have done so? Possibly. The Composition was known 7 days before the company set out. Messengers might have been able to beat the Company to Lorien. But why would messengers have been sent?

Galadriel would not have needed perfect knowledge of the composition of the Company to be able to deduce it. She knew, from the sons of Elrond who had been at the Council, and in Rivendell at the time of the Council. "Four Hobbits? - That must be Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin. Two Men - that can only be Aragorn and Boromir?. A Dwarf? - has to be either Gimli or Gloin. An Elf? - Well that one is easy as we know he is a Mirkwood Elf - Legolas."

There is no evidence in either direction from the text, but the simplest supposition is that Orophin is the source of Galadriel's knowledge of the compostion of the Company.

That leaves Haldir's comment somewhat baffling.

Speculation: Perhaps Haldir is puzzled because he does not think that Orophin knew the names of everyone in the Company, but Galadriel seems to know them? Haldir does not realize that Elladan and Elrohir gave Galadriel a complete 'transcript' (orally I assume) of the Council, and from that, it was not hard for Galadriel to realize who the members of the Company were.

Last edited:
Back